Ashik, PC Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), Professional Experience in Networking

If I buy a used iPad (4th generation 16 WiFi / 4G) and the

If I buy a used iPad (4th generation 16 WiFi / 4G) and the current ownder has service with AT&T, can I switch it to Verizon? And if so, how is that done? I don't want to end up with some additional piece of external equipment.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

No, you can't switch to Verizon. AT&T uses GSM technology and Verizon uses CDMA technology.

That means the AT&T Apple iPad has a GSM Radio and it won't work with Verizon since Verizon Apple iPad has a CDMA Radio. There will be compatibility issue between them.

Also, the 4G of both networks are different and are incompatible with each other.

If you are a Verizon user, buy a Verizon iPad (CDMA) and if you are AT&T user, you can buy that iPad (GSM).

I'd recommend to buy the GSM iPad (AT&T) if you travel alot (international). Because most carriers in the world uses GSM technology.

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like any additional information.

Best Regards,
Hi Jeff,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks for using JustAnswer.

I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

Thanks and Have a great day,