Toby K.
Toby K., Network Operations Specialist
Experience:  Embarq's Business DSL Support Group, 17+ years of IT Support
61870206

I unplugged my Netgear router, and now no Internet. The modem

I unplugged my Netgear router, and now no Internet. The modem works fine when it is hardwired, so I'm guessing it has to do with the router.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Toby K. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for asking your question today. Your modem will provide internet to only one computer/device. A router is needed when you want to use the same internet connection, but supply it to multiple devices. if you are getting the internet from the modem, then the router has gone bad. That assumes that you've unplugged and plugged the power cable from the router.

In my experiences, routers usually last about 3-4 years on average. By that time, there is new technology that makes it worth the replacement.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns. If you have no additional questions please remember to rate/accept my service before exiting the site so I can be credited for my time.
Toby K., Network Operations Specialist
Experience: Embarq's Business DSL Support Group, 17+ years of IT Support
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's a wireless router. I know the modem is working because I get Internet through the cord. I just need to reset the router somehow.

Expert:  Toby K. replied 1 year ago.
Did it just stop working?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. I unplugged the whole surge protector and plugged it back in, and no Internet.

Expert:  Toby K. replied 1 year ago.
What is the make and model of it? You reset it by unplugging it, like you've done. Do you have more ethernet ports on the back of your router? Sometimes there are a row of 4 ports where you can plug your computer in. If so, do you get an internet connection from one of them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The router is Netgear WNDR3300. It does have 4 ports, but no Internet when I plug the computer into one.

Expert:  Toby K. replied 1 year ago.

If you wanted to try a reset of the device to see if it will start to work again, then try the following:

• 1. Press and hold the restore settings button for 10 seconds. It's a small hole near the ports where you press in with a paperclip or something pointy.
  • 2. Release the restore settings button, and wait for the router to reboot.

Afterwards, if you are still not getting an internet connection from either the ethernet ports or wireless, then the router is dead and will need to be replaced.

Expert:  Toby K. replied 1 year ago.
How did it go? Any luck?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It worked, thanks. I wish they put the reset directions on ghe bottom. :)

Expert:  Toby K. replied 1 year ago.
Great! I'm glad that it's working. It's hard to live without the internet these days. Well I hope you enjoy the rest of your day!