Chris
Chris, Certified Networking Engineer
Experience:  I design, maintain, and implement LAN, WAN, and security technology.
45592864

Networking multiple choice and essay questions.

1. If you want to set the privileged mode password XXXXX “quiz,” which of the following commands would you use? R1(config) # XXXXX secret quiz R1(config)# XXXXX XXXXX quiz R1(config)# XXXXX password XXXXX quiz R1(config)# XXXXX secret password XXXXX 2. Which of the following is a characteristic of the IOS command show cdp neighbors? It displays the port type and platform of neighboring Cisco routers. It displays the device capability code of all non-Cisco routers. It displays platform information for all devices in the network. It displays the protocol encapsulation used by neighboring routers. 3. (TCO 4) Which of the following is a characteristic of a classless routing protocol? The use of discontiguous networks is not allowed. The use of variable length subnet masks is permitted. RIPv1 is a classless routing protocol. IGRP supports classless routing within the same autonomous system. 4. Which router command would you use if you wanted to see the administrative distance of routes? R1# XXXXX interfaces R1# XXXXX ip route R1# XXXXX ip interfaces R1# XXXXX ip routing 5. Which of the following is a true statement about the advantages of a distance-vector protocol? Periodic updates speed convergence. Convergence times make routing loops impossible. Ease of implementation makes configuration simple. They work well in complex networks. 6. (TCO 4) Which of the following is the command to disable automatic summarization in RIPv2? Router(config)# XXXXX auto-summary Router(config-router)# XXXXX auto-summary Router(config-if)# XXXXX auto-summary It is not recommended that you disable automatic summarization 7. During the route lookup process, what determines the preferred route? The ultimate route The longest match of leftmost bits The shortest prefix length The first route that resolves to an exit interface 8. If you want to display details about the routing protocol that is currently configured on the router, which of the following commands would you use? show ip protocols show ip route show interfaces show running-config 9. (TCO 5) Route _____ is the consolidation of network addresses to one single route. expansion reduction protocol summarization 10. With RIP as the routing protocol, what is the purpose of the network command? It identifies the networks connected to the neighboring router. It restricts networks from being used for static routes. It identifies all the destination networks that the router is allowed to install in its routing table. It identifies the directly connected networks that will be included in the RIP routing updates. 11. Which of the following commands displays the amount of time since the router heard from an EIGRP neighbor? show ip eigrp traffic show ip eigrp topology show ip eigrp interfaces show ip eigrp neighbors 12. Which of the following is not a valid EIGRP command? show ip route EIGRP show ip route neighbors show ip route stats show ip route traffic 13. Which of the following is a link-state routing protocol? IS-IS EIGRP RIPv1 RIPv2 None of the above 14. (TCO 7) When entering the command “router ospf 100,” what is the function of the number 100? Autonomous system number Metric Process ID Administrative distance 1. When configuring a router from scratch (no current configuration), what are the basic tasks that need to be performed? Name at least five tasks and briefly describe their purpose. 2. Describe the primary purpose of a router. What role does the routing table play in this? 3. List and explain five effects that a routing loop can have on a network. 4. Give two examples of when you should disable automatic summarization on a network running RIPv2? Explain why. 5. How is the composite metric calculated for EIGRP? Include the default and optional values involved in calculating the metric and provide the formula for the default metric calculation. 6. What are loopback interfaces and why are they used when configuring OSPF? 7. What information about a router’s links is contained in the link state (LSP)shared by routers during the link-state routing process? (Identify and explain at least four items.) 8. You are the network admin and you have been assigned the address space of 192.168.1.0/25 create four equal-size subnet to assign to your four LANs. What will be your 4 subnet&mask show all work step by step

Category: Networking
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

csfischer20 :

Hi, my name is Chris

csfischer20 :

how are you tonight?

Customer:

Hello Chris,
I'm in a little jam right now.

csfischer20 :

I see that

csfischer20 :

I can get ya out of it

csfischer20 :

This will take a little bit

Customer:

Sweet. I will repay you in kind Sir

csfischer20 :

I don't use all of this every day and I may have to jump into my routers

csfischer20 :

to look

csfischer20 :

but it will be 100% correct

Customer:

got 1:55 Min to go

csfischer20 :

put the questions in here 1 at a time

csfischer20 :

i will answer them

csfischer20 :

then you can copy and paste

Customer:

ok

Customer:

1. (TCO 1) If you want to set the privileged mode password XXXXX “quiz,” which of the following commands would you use?
R1(config) # XXXXX secret quiz
R1(config)# XXXXX XXXXX quiz
R1(config)# XXXXX password XXXXX quiz
R1(config)# XXXXX secret password XXXXX

Customer:

2. (TCO 2) Which of the following is a characteristic of the IOS command show cdp neighbors?
It displays the port type and platform of neighboring Cisco routers.
It displays the device capability code of all non-Cisco routers.
It displays platform information for all devices in the network.
It displays the protocol encapsulation used by neighboring routers.

Customer:

3. (TCO 4) Which of the following is a characteristic of a classless routing protocol?
The use of discontiguous networks is not allowed.
The use of variable length subnet masks is permitted.
RIPv1 is a classless routing protocol.
IGRP supports classless routing within the same autonomous system.

Customer:

4. (TCO 4) Which router command would you use if you wanted to see the administrative distance of routes?
R1# XXXXX interfaces
R1# XXXXX ip route
R1# XXXXX ip interfaces
R1# XXXXX ip routing

Customer:

5. (TCO 4) Which of the following is a true statement about the advantages of a distance-vector protocol?
Periodic updates speed convergence.
Convergence times make routing loops impossible.
Ease of implementation makes configuration simple.
They work well in complex networks.

Customer:

6. (TCO 4) Which of the following is the command to disable automatic summarization in RIPv2?
Router(config)# XXXXX auto-summary
Router(config-router)# XXXXX auto-summary
Router(config-if)# XXXXX auto-summary
It is not recommended that you disable automatic summarization

Customer:

7. (TCO 5) During the route lookup process, what determines the preferred route?
The ultimate route
The longest match of leftmost bits
The shortest prefix length
The first route that resolves to an exit interface

Customer:

8. (TCO 3) If you want to display details about the routing protocol that is currently configured on the router, which of the following commands would you use?
show ip protocols
show ip route
show interfaces
show running-config

Customer:

9. (TCO 5) Route _____ is the consolidation of network addresses to one single route.
expansion
reduction
protocol
summarization

Customer:

10. (TCO 3) With RIP as the routing protocol, what is the purpose of the network command?
It identifies the networks connected to the neighboring router.
It restricts networks from being used for static routes.
It identifies all the destination networks that the router is allowed to install in its routing table.
It identifies the directly connected networks that will be included in the RIP routing updates.

Customer:

11. (TCO 6) Which of the following commands displays the amount of time since the router heard from an EIGRP neighbor? (Points : 5)
show ip eigrp traffic
show ip eigrp topology
show ip eigrp interfaces
show ip eigrp neighbors

Customer:

12. (TCO 4) Which of the following is not a valid EIGRP command?
show ip route EIGRP
show ip route neighbors
show ip route stats
show ip route traffic

Customer:

13. (TCO 7) Which of the following is a link-state routing protocol?
IS-IS
EIGRP
RIPv1
RIPv2
None of the above

Customer:

14. (TCO 7) When entering the command “router ospf 100,” what is the function of the number 100?
Autonomous system number
Metric
Process ID
Administrative distance

Customer:

1. (TCO 1) When configuring a router from scratch (no current configuration), what are the basic tasks that need to be performed? Name at least five tasks and briefly describe their purpose.

Customer:

2. (TCO 2) Describe the primary purpose of a router. What role does the routing table play in this?

Customer:

3. (TCO 4) List and explain five effects that a routing loop can have on a network.

Customer:

4. (TCO 5) Give two examples of when you should disable automatic summarization on a network running RIPv2? Explain why.

Customer:

5. (TCO 6) How is the composite metric calculated for EIGRP? Include the default and optional values involved in calculating the metric and provide the formula for the default metric calculation.

Customer:

6. (TCO 7) What are loopback interfaces and why are they used when configuring OSPF?

Customer:

7. (TCO 7) What information about a router’s links is contained in the link state (LSP) shared by routers during the link-state routing process? (Identify and explain at least four items.)

Customer:

8. (TCO 3) You are the network administrator and you have been assigned the address space of 192.168.1.0/25. You need to create four equal-size subnets to assign to your four LANs. What will be your four subnets and subnet masks? Show your work step by step for a chance at partial credit.

Customer:

Thanks it

csfischer20 :

1. enable secret quiz

csfischer20 :

2.It displays the port type and platform of neighboring Cisco routers.

csfischer20 :

3. The use of variable length subnet masks is permitted

csfischer20 :

4. show ip route

csfischer20 :

5. periodic updates speed convergence

csfischer20 :

6.

csfischer20 :

7. The shortest prefix length

csfischer20 :

8. show running-config

csfischer20 :

9. summarization

csfischer20 :

10. It identifies the networks connected to the neighboring router.

csfischer20 :

11.show ip eigrp neighbors

csfischer20 :

12. show ip route neighbors

csfischer20 :

13. IS-IS

csfischer20 :

14. Autonomous system number

csfischer20 :

1. Basic router set up entails setting passwords for user level and privileged level 2. Setting up users with their administration level including read only for a non admin. 3. Enabling a connection method to the router (telnet, ssh, http) so that you don't have to be consoled in to connect. 4. Updating latest patches and firmware to make sure there is no security breaches. 5. IP address a Fast Ethernet Interface with a subnet mask for communication.

csfischer20 :

2. The primary use of a router is to send traffic where it needs to go. A routing table's role shows the best path for traffic to follow.

csfischer20 :

3. 1Routing Loop effects are that it can cripple your network with traffic that has no destination.2 Routing Loop can happen in large internetworks when a second topology change emerges before the network is able to converge on the first change.3 A routing loop can happen if a route is advertised back to the direction which it came from and the packet will never hit it's destination. 4. A poison route will also not go anywhere on a network(has to have an infinite metric assigned so that it keeps moving)5. Wrong metrics can cause routing loops by not sending traffic to the proper cost path.

csfischer20 :

4. If you have disconnected subnets, disable automatic route summarization to advertise the subnets. When route summarization is disabled, the software transmits subnet and host routing information across classful network boundaries. 2

Sometimes a router may receive from the same network many host routes, which are not helpful for routing and consume a large amount of network resources. In this case, you can disable RIP from receiving host routes to save network resources.

csfischer20 :

5. metric = bandwidth + delay

\bigg [ \bigg ( K_1 \cdot {\text{Bandwidth}}_{E} + \frac{K_2 \cdot {\text{Bandwidth}}_{E}}{256-\text{Load}} + K_3 \cdot {\text{Delay}}_{E}
                      \bigg )
         \cdot \frac {K_5}{K_4 + \text{Reliability}} \bigg ] \cdot 256
csfischer20 :

6. OSPF Loopback interfaces are treated as a stub host and will only have a 32 bit host route on the other devices no matter how the subnet mask is entered under the OSPF network statement.

SPF Loopback interfaces are treated as a stub host and will only have a 32 bit host route on the other devices no matter how the subnet mask is entered under the OSPF network statement. - See more at: http://www.nish.com/2009/12/ospf-loopback-interface/#sthash.KvGKDeIJ.dpuf

csfischer20 :

7. 1. Identifies the node which is producing it. 2. Identifies all the other nodes (either routers or networks) to which it is directly connected. 3. Includes a sequence number, which increases every time the source node makes up a new version of the message. 4. Displays the shortest path to each network.

Customer:

last one!

Customer:

cutting it close bro.

csfischer20 :

I'm working on it

csfischer20 :

This is a huge undertaking for 2 hours

csfischer20 :

but i'll get there

Customer:

No prob

Customer:

Thx

csfischer20 :

you got about 20 minutes right?

Customer:

yep

Customer:

18:22

csfischer20 :

ip address 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.192 , ip address 192.168.1.64 mask 255.255.255.192, ip address192.168.1.128 mask 255.255.255.192, ip address 192.168.1.192 mask 255.255.255.192

csfischer20 :

formula for subnet is 256 minus the amount of hosts you need

csfischer20 :

bits work like this 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256

csfischer20 :

they all add up to 512

csfischer20 :

sorry... 2,4,8,16,32,64,128,258

csfischer20 :

one more time

csfischer20 :

2-4-8-16-32-64-128-256

csfischer20 :

that one is right

csfischer20 :

each of those represents a bit

csfischer20 :

and there are 8 of them

csfischer20 :

when you start subtracting bits, they come off of the lower end to the left

csfischer20 :

right now, that number equals 512

csfischer20 :

you are done

Customer:

Thank you Sir!

csfischer20 :

you're welcome

csfischer20 :

I used a calculator for the subnetting

csfischer20 :

that is one of the things you just don't remember no matter how long you do this

csfischer20 :

but those basics i wrote down

csfischer20 :

with the doubling numbers

csfischer20 :

you need to remember that

csfischer20 :

there is 8 bits

csfischer20 :

and how to add them up

csfischer20 :

and you'll be fine

csfischer20 :

you have to know those to even use a calculator

Customer:

yes I need to remember this stuff cause an aswer like this can cost me again. Thank you for your time

csfischer20 :

Have a good night

Customer:

night

csfischer20 :

and I hope I earned a good rating tonight

Chris, Certified Networking Engineer
Experience: I design, maintain, and implement LAN, WAN, and security technology.