Ashik, PC Technician
Experience:  Personal and Professional Experience in Networking
16433418

i have a new ipad but already have an itunes account. during

i have a new ipad but already have an itunes account. during set-up ipad recognises my wifi network and i enter the password XXXXX then nothing at all happens? Am I dumb?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers didn’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, you are rating my Service to you and Not the Outcome of the answer or this website.

Are you sure you are using correct password ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

think i sent this but here goes again, ans: yes I guess so - it's the 13 digit one on the router yes?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yes, if it is the WPA or WPE code. After entering the password, did you hit the blue "Next" icon in the top right ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, i have tried several times and so has my son who hasn't had this problem with setting his up

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
That is strange. You can reset your iPad and see if that works or not. Press and hold the Power button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds or until it show the Apple logo. When you see the Apple Logo, release the buttons and let the iPad boot up. This will reset your iPad.

Also, before setting up it again, turn off your router for 2 minutes and also unplug the Power cable from it. If that didn't work, then reset the router by pressing the reset button or hole on the back of the router for 5 seconds. Then try to connect. This will temporarily disable your internet though.

Let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks - did you get my last? don't think so. i have now tried all of the above. still same thing. it looks like the wifi is connnected because it has a bolt icon and wireless signal showing 2 bars. if i wait for about 5 minutes whilst nothign is happening and then press the home button i get 'setup incomplete' msg with 'continue' 'more wifi settings' or start over' options. frustrating!

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I didn't get your reply. Do you have iTunes installed on yoru computer ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, on my laptop....i am not setting up through my pc should i be?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yes, you can also setup from your PC too. Download and install latest iTunes from here : http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Then open iTunes and connect your iPad to your PC with the USB Cable. iTunes will recognize your iPad and allow you to setup it.

If that didn't work, then we can restore and install a fresh OS on your iPad from your iTunes. You can restore it from iTunes by putting it to Device Firmware Upgrade (DFU) mode. Follow the steps below;
  • Connect the iPad to your computer with the USB Cable.
  • Open iTunes application on your computer
  • On your iPad Press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.
  • After exactly 8 seconds release the Sleep/Wake button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.
  • Click OK or Restore

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPad will remain blank. Please let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Ashik. I go tto this bit

• 'On your iPad Press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.

• After exactly 8 seconds release the Sleep/Wake button'. <<<i mistimed and now my ipad is lifeless!?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Your iPad is not lifeless. Is it blank now ?

To get out of DFU Mode, press and hold down the Power button and Home button at the same time until the Apple logo comes up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi done now all appears ok except i can't get access to itunes store - says it can't connect? thanks

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
So, is your iPad working now ? I mean, are you able to get past the network select screen ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes i can sory i wasn't clear on that. i just can't access itunes store. msg says 'cannot connect to itunes store'

how do i check it's got wifi connectivity?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Open Safari and see if you are able to browser internet. If not, could you try it from different wireless network ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Tried that. Says not connected to Internet. Therefore I have found 'settings' and confirmed wifi is on. I can see my network (Netgear) and the wireless icon has 2 bars highlighted - is this relevlant?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yes, In your iPad, goto Settings. Tap General. Tap Reset. Tap Reset Network Settings. Then connect your iPad to WiFi and try Safari or AppStore.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry. I am being really stupid - can't see Reset

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
See picture below;
graphic
It is in Settings > General > Reset
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
See this picture;
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry - done all this but still get cannot connect to itunes store or in Safari tells me I am not connected to the Internet

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Is there any way you could try it on another WiFi ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately mine is the only one I can use - all others in area are secure.

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Does your other iPad connects without any problem ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. Usually my son also has trouble connecting to wifi here. He's OK at his home, unfortunately he's not here so can't recheck. Is there anything else I can check with. My Kindle connects OK - maybe not relevant!

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Seems like the problem is with the router. We can verify some settings of your router and see if they are correct or not. On your PC, open your Internet browser, goto http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1. Either one of the address will be your router's address and this will open router configuration window. The Login window will prompt for the router configuration username and password. The default username is “admin” and the default password XXXXX “password” (without quotes)

Let me know once you did that, so we can move to next step.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Kindle is OK, what do I need to do now?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
This happens if there is any problem with the security mode of your router. On your PC, open your Internet browser, goto http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1. Either one of the address will be your router's address and this will open router configuration window. The Login window will prompt for the router configuration username and password. The default username is “admin” and the default password XXXXX “password” (without quotes)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK. Done....

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Are you on the router configuration window now ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes...

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Great ! Click on Wireless Settings in there, under Setup in left column. In there, make sure the Channel is set to Auto.

Under Security Options, select the WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK[AES]

Set a new password XXXXX your wireless network in there and click Apply button. Then restart your router and connect again. This will disconnect all devices from your internet and you will need to re-enter the new password XXXXX connect it to again. Please let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi channel is set to 11, doesn't have any option to set to auto. Should I mention that I have a work PC here and the security option is set to WEP, could this be the problem? I have to access my company server

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Channel 11 is OK. But WEP mode is old and don't play well with the new devices. Just change your router security to WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK[AES] ? Did that work ?
Ashik, PC Technician
Experience: Personal and Professional Experience in Networking
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Ashik. I have lost connection to netgear. Trying to sort and will get back to you

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Take your time :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Ashik, Sorry when I lost connectivity I decided to walk away rather than lose my patience. It's all up and running now and I have rated your response and assistance. Is that all I need to do now so that you get paid?Michelle

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
I'm glad everything is working for you. Unfortunately you didn't rate my answer yet. I will get compensated only if you rate me Positively. I want you to be happy with my service, so if you have any questions please feel free to ask and I will help you with the best I can.

Best Regards,