Jason Jones, Network Technician
Experience:  Years of experience and education.

I just purchased the Uniden Guardian G755 wireless video surveillance

I just purchased the Uniden Guardian G755 wireless video surveillance system. The system works well, but it is causing major interference issues with my wifi. I believe this system runs on the 2.4GHz frequency.

My wifi environment:
- 4th generation Time Capsule as my router (both 2.4GHz/5GHz channels set to automatic).
- 3-5 iOS devices running at any given time.
- 1-2 AppleTV's running at any given time.
- 1 MacBook Air.
- HP Envy printer.
- Nest Thermostat.
- AT&T Microcell.
- ADT wireless alarm sensors.
- 100Mbps download speed, 20Mbps upload speed.

I'm 100% certain that the Guardian system is the cause of the interference. When turned on I'm experiencing spotty connectivity. For example, when streaming through the AppleTV's or iOS devices I'm getting 10-30 seconds of freezing every 5-10 minutes. Not a workable scenario. When I power down the Guardian system connectivity is solid.

Is there hope? Thank you.

Thank you for your question and your time today.

My name is Jason and I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

Please, tell me the full brand and model name of your wireless router.

Also, what is the distance between the video system and the router?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jason,

Wireless Router: Apple Time Capsule (4th Gen). I believe this is the current model.

Model #: MD032LL/A.

Serial #: C86GFDYTDM73.

Version 7.6.1.

The Cradle where the video monitor sits is actually pretty close to the router, approximately 2 to 3 feet away.

Thank you,

Thank you for the update.

If the device is only a few feet away from the system, may I ask why you chose to go with wireless and not with hardwire ethernet?

With security systems, the best option is always to use Ethernet.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Check out the system:

The cameras are wireless. They supply a feed to the monitor which sits in a cradle. The cradle is connected to the router via ethernet in order to enable remote viewing. Remote viewing is optional. Technically I could move the monitor away from the router or use a much longer ethernet cable, assuming that by having the cradle too close to the router is causing the interference.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for the clarification Paul.

In that case, I would highly suggest you move the base monitor system at least 30 feet away from the router and connect it via ethernet.

Once that is complete, please test it out and keep me updated.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jason,

I'm testing this now. So far so good. I'll follow-up tomorrow.

Hello again,

I will be available for the next 14 hours.

Please, post a message here when you are ready to continue.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jason,

Definitely much better now that I moved the base monitor away from the router. Is there anything else I could do from a router/channel perspective? The base monitor is not in an ideal location. However, I could make this work if need-be.

Hello Paul,

If you want to, you can move the base monitor to a more ideal location and see if that works.

Another option is to possibly, change the wireless channel on your wireless router.

- Jason
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there a preferred channel or is this just a trial and error scenario?

It will be a matter of trial and error because you have to test which channel works the best for your particular environment.