Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.
13274453

I have problems to install Netgear WN3000RP WiFi range extender.

I have problems to install Netgear WN3000RP WiFi range extender. I am able to wirelessly connect to the setup wizard and succesfully complete all steps. All leds on extender are green after setup. The extender is connected to the router wireless network and my laptop can connect to the extended network. The extender now has an IP address belonging to the router wireless LAN and my laptop accepts the IP address assigned from the extender but no internet access from the extended network.
Hi. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to assist. From your excellent description of what you have tried I have to ask a couple of questions. Is the wireless security type that you are using WEP and what is the make and model of your wireless router? If you're using WEP, the security key needs to be entered in two places on the extender. Also, unless your wireless router is WDS (wireless distribution system) capable the extender won't be able to complete a successful connection to the router even though all the lights tell you it is connected.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Byron,

Wireless router model: Zyxel P660HW-D1

Security: WEP 128 bits

I enter on the extender the appropriate wireless network by selecting from the detected networks the wireless LAN SSID of my router. After that, on a different configuration page I enter network password XXXXX the extender setup software generates a Key from the password. Once these values are set, an extender led turns green showing it has connected to the router wireless LAN.

I do not know if the router is WDS (I amnot familiar with this feature). I do not find on the router configuration process if this is the case or how to enable/disable WDS.

Looking forward to your response. Regards,

Eduardo

Hi. I haven't been able to verify WDS information on your router, yet. I do know this about those extenders and WEP. When you go through the Wizard and get to the page to set up WEP, enter your 26 digit key in both the Passphrase area AND in the Key1 area. Leave keys 2 through 4 blank. Don't generate any WEP keys.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do not know the 26 digit key. I only have an aplhanumeric password: Z404A03B1D6BB

When entering this value into the "Key 1" file, I receive the following messsage:

Invalid Key. Keys length should be 26 Hex (0-9 and A-F) class.

How do I translate from aplhanumeric to Hex?

For your password: Z404A03B1D6BB(enter in passphrase area)

Here is the ASCII to HEX conversion:

5a:34:30:34:41:30:33:42:31:44:36:42:42:20 Key1

If you are familiar with your router configuration pages it would be much easier to change your wireless security type from WEP to WPA/WPA2

You can then choose your own password XXXXX won't have to deal with long strings of letters and numbers.

http://www.dolcevie.com/js/converter.html

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The sequence you just provided (5a:34:30:34:41:30:33:42:31:44:36:42:42:20) is 28 characters long instead of 26 and is not accepted by the extender setup wizard.

I have used the link you listed and the conversion I get is 5a:34:30:34:41:30:33:42:31:44:36:42:42; i.e., tha same string but eliminating the last two digits. I have input this string into the Key 1 field but still I get the same result. I still do not have internet acces through the extended network.

Please provide some additional advice. Thanks,

Eduardo

I don't speak Spanish but I'm pretty sure in this post it says the router doesn't support WDS. I'm still waiting for the manual to download to see if I can confirm that.

http://bandaancha.eu/foros/repetir-senal-wifi-zyxel-p660hw-d1-adsl-1682088

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You are right. The post explicitly says the router does not support WDS.

As the Netgear installation guide has one section titled "Manual connection without WPS" I asumed it was possible to use the extender irrespective of WPS support by the router. Is this wrong?

On the same post it can be found that a device called Linksys WRT54GL with DDWRT properly repeats the signal from the Zyxel P660HW-D1 router. Is that so? Should I forget about the Netgear and buy the Linksys model?

Thanks for you support.

WPS (WiFi Protected Setup) is a different animal from WDS (wireless distribution system) They are not related. I just finished searching through the manual for the router. No mention is made of WDS support. If the router had that feature surely a mention of it would have been made in a 460 page manual.

There are several things to consider here. DDWRT is open source firmware that once installed on a router instantly voids any warranty. I have it installed on an old router of mine. It works great but is difficult to configure. Your router dates back to 2007 (though you may have gotten it after that). The surest way to make sure a Netgear extender works is to buy a Netgear router. WDS is a technology. It's not a standard certified by the Wi-Fi Alliance. Many router brands don't support it and sometimes within a vendor's own equipment lineup not all devices will support it. Netgear, Belkin, Cisco/Linksys support it because they also sell extenders. I wish I could give you better news.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Byron. It looks like extending a wireless network is not an easy task.

Thank you for your advice and explanations.

Eduardo

It can be done. You just have to approach it a little differently. They have what are called Powerline devices that allow you to extend a network wirelessly using the electrical wiring in your home. They work like this: The devices come in pairs and are about the same size as the extender. One module plugs into an electrical outlet near the router and is connected to your router LAN port with a network cable. The second module plugs in in an area that needs a wireless signal. (it has it's own wireless radio) The internet signal runs from your router, through your electrical wiring to the second module which broadcasts a wireless signal your devices can connect to.

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Powerline-Wireless-Extender-PLWK400/dp/B0087O6AQE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358708147&sr=8-1&keywords=linksys+plwk400