Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, System Administrator
Experience:  Fully conversant with Networking (LAN/WAN) and associated systems (Active Directory/Firewalls etc)
65126503

I am trying to set up a new iMac (Mountain Lion) and want to

I am trying to set up a new iMac (Mountain Lion) and want to get it on my Wi-Fi Network. On the "Select Your Wi-Fi Network window, it shows my network, on which I have clicked -- I have entered the password XXXXX the network and the little wheel below the password XXXXX spins and the message says "Looking for networks". The new computer is on the desk right next to the Airport Express and the network is working because I am sending this on my old computer (10.7), which is right next to the new computer.

What do I need to do to get the new computer on the network?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 1 year ago.

Steve Herrod :

Hi, I'l be happy to help with this issue

Steve Herrod :

was the new iMac delivered with Mountain Lion or Lion which was then upgraded to Mountain Lion?

Steve Herrod :

also, do you have the model number of the Airport Express?

Customer:

I do not know -- it came from Apple -- I think that Mountain Lions get installed as part of the set up. I am in the first steps of set up.

Steve Herrod :

ok - sounds like a new install so that rules out an upgraded OS issue I would have thought

Steve Herrod :

and you have a Mac running 10.7 working perfectly?

Customer:

I am trying to find the model number - I misspoke, the devise is a Time Capsule.

Steve Herrod :

ok

Customer:

The Time Capsule works with my old computer - 10.7.

Steve Herrod :

on the new system, can you go to the Apple menu and choose About this Mac - what is the full version listed there?

Customer:

I am in the process of doing the set up.

Steve Herrod :

apologies - think I misread that earlier. What I would do is complete the setup without connecting so that we can amend some settings in the network configuration

Customer:

Ok. -- I got it -- the version 10.8.2

Steve Herrod :

ok

Steve Herrod :

so can you access Apple Menu-->System Preferences-->Network now?

Customer:

Yes.

Steve Herrod :

ok, choose the Location menu

Steve Herrod :

and then 'Edit Locations'

Steve Herrod :

then hit the + button to add a new location

Steve Herrod :

call it Home or similar

Steve Herrod :

then click done

Customer:

Done.

Steve Herrod :

ok - now try this

Steve Herrod :

Back at the “Network” screen, click the “Network Name” menu and join the wireless network

Customer:

What is the "network screen"?

Customer:

Do I click on "Apply"?

Steve Herrod :

sorry, yes click on Apply

Steve Herrod :

and you should then be able to try and rejoin the network

Customer:

On the window "Network", I have a status message - "Cable unplugged". I don't see a button to join the network. I also see lines for configuring.

Steve Herrod :

curious - nowhere does it mention wifi?

Customer:

Yes -- to the left there is a list - Ethernet, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth PAN. I clicked on Wi-Fi -- it says "on". Status says "Turn Wi-Fi Off". Network name says "No network selected."

Steve Herrod :

ok - where it says network name can you select anything?

Customer:

If I click on the "No network selected" bar, I get a list -- my wifi network is on that list.

Steve Herrod :

ok - choose your wifi and try to join again

Customer:

I went through the steps and now, under the Network window, it show "Wi-Fi Connected".

Customer:

Do I go back to the set up window and try to log on?

Steve Herrod :

ok - can you get online with anything?

Steve Herrod :

yes

Customer:

Yes.

Steve Herrod :

is that good?

Customer:

I think that it means that I am on my wifi network.

Steve Herrod :

hopefully

Customer:

How do I get back to the set up assistant so that I can continue the set up?

Steve Herrod :

If you go into applications there should be Migration Assistant?

Steve Herrod :

that would be the next step that Setup would have run

Customer:

I found that. I think you've solved my problem. Apple sure could have told me to get the new computer connected to the net work. Grrrrrrrrrr!

Customer:

Thanks ...

Steve Herrod :

no problem

Steve Herrod :

Mountain Lion seems a little picky about networks

Steve Herrod :

so often setting up a new network location kicks things into place

Customer:

Let's hope so.

Customer:

I think that we have it for now. The next step is for me to take it from here and try to the set up and the migration.

Customer:

Tom

Steve Herrod :

sure

Customer:

Do I get a "pay page"?

Steve Herrod :

there should be a rating option on this page?

Steve Herrod :

if you choose any of the top 3 that credits me based on the question

Steve Herrod, System Administrator
Experience: Fully conversant with Networking (LAN/WAN) and associated systems (Active Directory/Firewalls etc)