Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, System Administrator
Experience:  Fully conversant with Networking (LAN/WAN) and associated systems (Active Directory/Firewalls etc)
65126503

I have a Zyxel 1200v2. When it is not in my network everything

Customer Question

I have a Zyxel 1200v2. When it is not in my network everything runs fine. When it is in my network, it locks up, periodically. The whole network freezes and I loose internet access. What could cause that?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 1 year ago.

Steve Herrod :

Thanks - am looking into this now and will come back to you shortly as it is fairly detailed

Steve Herrod :

my initial thought was some kind of traffic saturation but you appear to have ruled that out with the QoS configuration

Steve Herrod :

Will update you asap

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Steve Herrod :

One thing I forgot to ask - what provider is being used?

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer:

Bentley Walker is the provider. QoS has not completely ruled out things, just mostly. My QoS rules are as follows....

Customer:

Skype, SSL, and Paypal ports are high priority. 80 and 8080 are normal priority. All UDP ports for bittorrent, ie 1024-65534 are low. I cannot block them. All my peplink 1860 will do is make them low priority... I just scanned bittorrent on the 1860 and saw something like 300 lines of bittorrent. I am sure that is the problem. My zyxel doesnt even have QoS and it is my DHCP. My Peplink 1860 seems to be my only firewall. Although while I was writing this it just occurred to me to look at the UNIFI APs mabey there is a QoS or firewall there. Let me know what you find. Thanks

Steve Herrod :

Thanks - will review that this evening (am also UK based)

Steve Herrod :

is there a specific requirement for bittorrent - are multiple types of clients being used?

Customer:

I don't know. All I see on my router are "bittorrent" under protocol and various ports used for each, all generally high numbered ports, 11000-55000-ish. I did see a client on one computer called "mTorrent". I spread a little bit of propaganda that I was going to start blocking users permanently by mac address. Almost overnight, the feeds have dropped off. That wont last though, it never does. I am still hoping for a solution. I am tired of throwing big chunks of money at my gear though. I am a contractor and I travel alot. This entire network will easily fit in a locking footlocker.

Customer:

What do you personally think about a small Pico-ITX box, with 2 WANs and IPCOP on it. Or do you have another application or device I could use that is that cheap. I know you have put in enough work on this. I have gone over and over the manual for the Zyxel and the Peplink. I cant find any solution myself except banning by mac or an IPCOP type solution.

Customer:

Anyway, give me a recommendation answer and I will go ahead and give you an excellent rating and try what you suggest. It will take a month for a device to get here in the mail. I will use answer.com again too, if I need it.

Customer:

Thanks in advance!

Steve Herrod, System Administrator
Experience: Fully conversant with Networking (LAN/WAN) and associated systems (Active Directory/Firewalls etc)
Thank you - am working on the best solution for this, given those requirements.

Cheers

Steve
Hi Charlie,

Have been looking over this and like you I haven't been able to find a solution other than MAC address filtering or something like IPCOP with the current hardware.

I like the Pico-ITX box idea - cheap and portable with full control as you require. Still playing around with ideas but that definitely seems the most viable so far.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, I think that is pretty much the answer. There is no point and click option with either the Peplink 20 or the Zyxel VSG 1200v2. I disconnected the Zyxel and ran just the Peplink as kind of a speed trap. Then I printed the Services screen with just bittorrent listed. It came to 4 pages, with only 4 users accessing bittorrent at the time. It was several hundred streams. The only reason I noticed was the network crashed and I trouble shot it. I really want something proactive, instead of reactive. I ordered a PicoITX box, some ram, and an SSD. I downloaded IPCOP and I will give it a try. I am also banning those mac addresses for a week. If anybody else has this issue, there is really nothing they can do except waste all their time chasing it, or buying an expensive third party packet analyzer... Also if anyone has a Zyxel and they can't figure out why it is crashing every day, tell them to check their services and look for bittorrent.

Later and thanks for trying

Hi Charlie,

Does seem a good solution - remember chasing down network issues and something like that would be a great help. Bittorrent seems to cause havoc at times!

Cheers

Steve