Ask Granite State Tech. Res. Your Own Que...

Granite State Tech. Res.
Granite State Tech. Res., Consultant
Experience:  >25yrs Microsoft, Windows, Novell, NetWare, TCP/IP, Exchange, GroupWise

I have two routers (one in basement connected to my modem)

Customer Question

I have two routers (one in basement connected to my modem) and 1 on the 3rd floor. They are not talking to each other. I contacted my internet provider and the router that is in the basement is working so they told me that I have to configure the router on 3rd to talk to my router in basement. Not sure how I do that because I have forgotten how I did it in the first place. If I connect to router in basement for wireless all is fine. If I try to connect to router on 3rd (that is where my Desktop is) then it says no internet connection. May need remote connection but I have unplugged router on 3rd floor which I run my desktop off of.

Category: Networking
Expert:  derrickonline replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you need your wireless signal to reach from downstairs all the way to the third floor. I'm also assuming you do not have a smarthome which would be a house pre-wired with Ethernet jacks on the wall?

In this case you have two options.

1. Put your wireless router on the 3rd floor into what is known as AP (Access Point) mode. It will take the signal it finds from your downstairs router, then propagate it upstairs at a higher signal.

2. Purchase a high performance wireless router. I previously had poor signal with an old Linksys WRT54G reaching upstairs (I have a 4 level townhouse). I later purchased a Linksys Cisco E4200 and now I signal on all levels.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't need the wireless Belkin to reach to the 3rd floor from the basement. That Belkin router is for the Basement and the 2nd floor. I purchased another wireless router (a while back and it was working fine) for the 3rd floor so that it can be on that floor only. I can get wireless from the basement up all the way 3 floors so that isn't the problem. The problem is that the Belkin router that is on the 3rd floor is not working anymore.

I had a linksys in the basement but boxes fell on it and it broke, so yesterday I purchased another router (Belkin N300) for Basement. I got it to working with my Internet providers help.

The router on the 3rd floor stopped working when it couldn't get a signal from the linksys. When I purchased the Belkin to go downstairs the Belkin router (N600) on the 3rd still doesn't work.

1. Can't figure out why it isn't working.
2. Not sure what you mean by putting it in an AP mode?
3. I do have pre wired wall jacks in house and the Belkin upstairs on 3rd floor is plugged into the wall jack.

Cynthia:

Ahh so you do actually have a smart home. The key here is when you go to your basement there must be some sort of patch panel?

Typically you would plug your upstairs wireless router's INTERNET OR WAN port into the ethernet port on your wall.

Then you could go downstairs to your basement or wherever the patch panel is located and run a cable from the ethernet PORT upstairs to a LAN port on your downstairs wireless router.

Does that make sense? Do you have a patch panel in your basement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I do have a patch panel in the basement and yes I do have a Smart home (someone hooked me up to that idea when I built it a few years back). Once I get home tonight I will see if everything is hooked upstairs then will go to basement and see if everything is correct there. But am pretty sure I have changed nothing in last few years and 3rd floor was working. It only quit working when the linksys broke and I purchased a Belkin N300 for basement and now the N600 will not work. Not sure if it is because maybe it has same IP address or not. Not sure how to change it if it does.
We beef to review the config and most likely change the IP space on the upstairs router. I'm in EST let's start with the patch panel and work our way up. When you reply I will get an email and follow up as quickly as possible
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I am at home right now and the Ethernet is plugged into the wall socket of my smart home and then put the other end into my Belkin router. I plugged the router into my computer and still no internet connection. Internet people think is trying to compete with my downstairs belkin as far as ip addresses. Helpppppppppppppp. If I can't reach you tonight I can continue this tomorrow night at 6:10 or 6:15 eastern standard time. Right now it is 8:02 and not sure how long I will be on. I got a late start tonight.

Cynthia:

You didn't tell me if you had your cables plugged into the right ports on your routers. But so I'll just reiterate that part.

UPSTAIRS ROUTER --> ETHERNET JACK ON WALL

SMART HOUSE PATCH PANEL --> LOCATE THE PORT THAT MAPS TO THE UPSTAIRS PORT ON YOUR WALL, CONNECT A CABLE FROM THAT PATCH PANEL TO YOUR LAN PORT ON YOUR DOWNSTAIRS WIRELESS ROUTER.

Next question. Can you CONNECT to the wireless network and just not surf the Internet upstairs? Or can you NOT EVEN connect?

What is the SSID of both wireless routers? The SSID is basically the wireless name you see on your computer when you wish to connect to your wireless network.

---

If you can CONNECT to the wireless network but CANNOT surf the Internet I'd like you to do the following.

Connect a cable from your COMPUTER (Ethernet) to your wireless router upstairs into any available LAN port.

Then I'd like you to tell me your IP address. To get that do the following:

Open Network and Sharing Center by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, and then clicking Network and Sharing Center.

Under Connection, click View status.

Click Details.

Your computer's IP address appears in the Value column, next to "IPV4 IP Address."

Or you can click START, RUN (or under Windows 7) click into the "search program files and folders" box, and type: CMD <then hit enter>

A black command prompt pops up. In that window type: ipconfig <then hit enter>

Look for IP ADDRESS and provide that information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not at home right now but do have the upstairs router going into ethernet jack on wall. the downstairs port is connected into that port that it needs to go to for the 3rd floor.

I can connect to wireless network only in the basement when I am on my desktop on 3rd but I have to unplug my router on 3rd from my computer to do so.

Both wireless routers are Belkin.

Once I get home I can follow the rest of your instructions (it won't be until about 6 pm eastern time tonight though).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I am online right now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi are you online? I won't be back online until Saturday night or sometimes on Sunday.

My upstairs Belkin 56e9 (N600) router ip address is 192.168.2.19 and still no internet connection (I did plug it into the back of my computer but still no internet connection for that router).

My downstairs Belkin 82a (n300) router ip address is 192.168.2.15 which is working.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is Richard, I will do whatever I can to provide you with excellent service and answer your questions!

The issue is you have two routers on a network, this is why you lose internet

Disable on both routers DHCP server, and make sure to plug from the modem into the LAN port on the routers (not the internet port) than try

Let me know how it goes please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still working with Derrick and would like to do so until he opts out or is out of a solution.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
will do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Derrick I am out of the house for a few days. Can we continue on Saturday evening around 7 or 8 or anytime on Sunday would be great. Keep me posted please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Derrick are you here? I am ready to work again on the router issue.
Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the Professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Rachel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If Derrick is not on can you put the question back out to other experts who can help me? That would be great.
Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.
Rachel
Expert:  Granite State Tech. Res. replied 1 year ago.
The network on the 3rd floor needs to be different fromt he network in the basement.
Maybe set the basement to 192.168.0.xxx and the third floor to 192.168.3.xxx

Once you have both routers configured for a network address they will route all traffic upstream to the internet.

Plug the ethernet for the third floor into any LAN port on the basement router.

This will give your 3rd floor WAN port a DHCP address in the 192.168.0.xxx range.

So you traffic will look like this:

3rd fl LAN = 192.168.3.x-->3rd fl LAN Port-->3rd fl WAN port = 192.168.0.x --> Basement LAN port-->Internet (Public) side of Basement Router.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I reconfigure ip addresses for both routers?
Connect to the basement router first.
You will receive an IP Address.
Open a command prompt from your computer. (Start, Run, type CMD, and press Enter)
At the command prompt, type: IPCONFIG and press ENTER
Your IP address will show. Note the 3rd octet. xxx.xxx.???.xxx
***If your address is 192.168.0.xxx then this router is all set. Go to the 3rd floor***
Then open a browser.
Enter the ipaddress for the router. The router address will be the same as yours except the last octet will end with a 1. So, if your address is 192.168.1.10 the router will be 192.168.1.1
Inside the Router menu, look for network config. (Or similar language) Change the local network to 192.168.0.xxx
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have done both of the above. And it actually turned off both my routers when I changed the configuration for the 3rd floor router. I had to go back in, too change it back and it turned back on basement but not 3rd floor router.

This is what both routers ip address says:

Are the addresses you refer to on the LAN or WAN side?

Can you provide a diagam of the wiring.

Inet (WAN) 24.62.110.80 [N300] 192.168.2.1 (LAN) --->>>>
>--- (WAN)192.168.2.19 [n600] 192.168.2.1 (LAN)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to have to wait till I get home to see what it is. I will be home sometimes around 6 eastern or so. I will put down what I see and wait for your response back.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
OK.
I'm in NH (Eastern Time Too)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay last night was not good for me so I will be home about 6 pm eastern tonight also. I will log into computer at that time.
Any luck?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry didn't get home till 9 last night (long work day) but will try again tonight.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just went out and bought a new router, hooked it up. So no luck on the old one sorry to say.
Are you saying that this is resolved or that we need to continue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope not resolved. After doing everything above and even getting on phone with Belkin nothing could be done. So I just decided to let everything go and bought another router, set it upstairs, downloaded CD and it is working. No use in continuing since I bought another router.
Glad that is working. Please indicate this issue is resolved.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please have justanswer.com close this ticket out. I have resolved the issue myself.