R.A. McConnell
R.A. McConnell, Network Admin
Experience:  A-Plus, MCP, 18+ years experience, LINUX admin

I have a Negear Wireless G Router WGR614v10 that I am attempting

I have a Negear Wireless G Router WGR614v10 that I am attempting to attach to a Charter Cable Cisco DPC3010modem. I get internet connection for my desktop computer but not my remore wireless laptop and Ipad. Modem has been confirmed working with Charter Cable.
Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. I'll be happy to help you with this.

I'd be surprised if your Charter account required a fixed IP address, unless you're paying an upcharge for this. Pretty much all cable Internet service providers use dynamic IP addresses. I suspect that what's going on is that the cable modem is set to only provide an IP address to the computer using the network adapter that is in your desktop computer. There are a couple of tests that we should do here, regardless, just to be sure that we're going at the problem from the right angle.

The first thing that we should check is whether or not, after the manufacturer-settings reset, your desktop computer is able to connect to the Internet while directly connected to the router using an ethernet network cable connected to one of the four (4) numbered ports on the back of the Netgear router. The Cisco DPC3010 cable modem should be connected to the Netgear router's WAN port when you do this. If this works, then we can go on to the next step and set up the Netgear router manually. Please let me know if this is the case and I'll be happy to run you through manual setup and any troubleshooting necessary to get your wireless laptop working with this.

If you would like clarification on any of these points, more depth in my answer, or if you have additional questions with regard to this matter, please don't hesitate to ask for more information by responding to me here and I'll be happy to continue to lend a hand.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
While waiting for your response, the wireless system began working for the laptop and Ipad, so I think my problem has been solved. Thanks anyway.
You're most welcome. If you find that you have additional questions about this, or if the problem crops up again, please let me or any of the other experts here know and we'll be happy to lend a hand.