R.A. McConnell
R.A. McConnell, Network Admin
Experience:  A-Plus, MCP, 18+ years experience, LINUX admin

Installed Cisco E3000 Router 3 years ago. Computer no longer

Installed Cisco E3000 Router 3 years ago. Computer no longer recognizes the Cisco Connect, and has changed or moved it. How do I find out what the password XXXXX Router settings are?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I'll be happy to help you with this.

If you have a computer that is connected to the router using a network (ethernet) cable, you can usually recover your password XXXXX this:

1. Go to this address, using your web browser on a computer currently working on your network: (if this doesn't work, the address of the Linksys router may have been changed, so please respond and let me know and we'll find out what it is now).

2. Log in with no user name and the password admin (if this fails and you don't have another password XXXXX will let you in, we'll need to reset the router, which I'll be happy to help you with).

3. Near the top of the page, next to where it says Setup on the left, is a link labeled Wireless. Click on it and select the Manual option if you see it (this doesn't appear on all models of Linksys router, but should be there if you see a screen that talks about WPS or WiFi Protected Setup and don't have a way to set or change the SSID).

4. Under the Basic Wireless Settings tab, check the Wireless Network Name (SSID) for both the 5Ghz and the 2.4Ghz networks and write them down (these are the current names of your wireless networks, they should both be the same under normal circumstances, which you should already have, but it always pays to double-check this).

5. Click on Wireless Security and write down the encryption type listed next to Security Mode for each of the wireless networks.

6. Write down the key (it will be 10 or 26 letters and numbers long) next to Key 1 if you use WEP encryption, otherwise write down the Passphrase listed (for any type of WPA or WPA2 encryption), again, for each network. I'm hoping they're the same, but please respond and let me know if they're different and we'll get this sorted out. Be very careful here to check the difference between the number zero (0) and the letter "oh" (O), as well as the number one (1) and the letter "el" (l). Also be sure that you make sure that any letters that are in lower- or upper-case are written down the same way. An upper-case and a lower-case letter are two different letters, as far as computers are concerned.

7. Click on Wireless MAC Filter near the top of the window, under where it says Wireless and next to Wireless Security (if this is an option on your router). Check to see if the Wireless MAC Filter is enabled (if it is, you will need to make other changes to your router's configuration when you attempt to add a new wireless computer or device to your network).

That should be the information you need. If you have any trouble with any part of this or if it doesn't work as I've described, please respond and let me know and I'll be happy to continue to help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

First, Your analysis was spot on! Followed the scheme you emailed and went as far as Wireless Security. At that point, and seemingly unrelated to any of my inputs, the PC lost power...and Cisco Connect briefly appeared and then went who knows where...Rather than call you in my disgust...I shut the PC down and counted to ten! When I composed myself and turned on the PC I had lost Internet connection, but gained a new Cisco ?? name.. The old internet connection had morphed into Short Cheetah from White Monkey!! Yes, I got back on line..but whew!! Kept your analysis and will it add to my tech. library. Thanks..Curt

You're most welcome. I'm glad that you've got this working again. If there is anything else that you would like help with, or further explanation, please don't hesitate to ask for me by name and I'll be happy to help if I'm online and available.

(I'm required to post this as an answer, per site policy, but be careful about rating it again, as that sometimes causes an additional payment, unless that's what you intend.)