jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, PC Technician
Experience:  A+ Comptia Certified computer repair
63323962

My netbook has stopped connecting to the internet. I have the

Customer Question

My netbook has stopped connecting to the internet. I have the wifi connectiin and can see other pcs on the home network but i can't connect to any websites.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Christopher Bessler replied 1 year ago.

Christopher Bessler :

Have you gone through the whole connection reset process?

Christopher Bessler :

Are other machines on the network able to connect to the internet?

Christopher Bessler :

1. Unplug/shutdown everything. Routers, modems, PC's, everything.

Christopher Bessler :

2. Wait 60 seconds.

Christopher Bessler :

3. Plug in the MODEM.

Christopher Bessler :

4. Wait 60 seconds.

Christopher Bessler :

5. Plug in the ROUTER.

Christopher Bessler :

6. Wait 60 seconds.

Christopher Bessler :

7. Restart the PC.

Christopher Bessler :

See if the connection to the internet is restored.

Customer:

Yes everything else on the network is connected to the internet. The netbook travels with me and i can't access websites from any of the wifi networks i have connected to

Christopher Bessler :

Well, there is the possibility that you have some form of Malware or a redirect virus that is causing the connectivity problem.

Christopher Bessler :

However, if you do not have access to the internet it will be very difficult to recover from.

Christopher Bessler :

You could go to another computer and download Microsoft Security Essentials from here:

Christopher Bessler :

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5201

Christopher Bessler :

Put the installation program on a usb flash drive.

Christopher Bessler :

Then transfer it to your netbook.

Christopher Bessler :

Install it, update it, and run a full scan.

Christopher Bessler :

this will take more than an hour.

Christopher Bessler :

After that is completed you will need to reset IE.

Christopher Bessler :

You do that here:

Christopher Bessler :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Christopher Bessler :

This process will take a while.

Customer:

I have Norton Internet Security installed. I would hope not to have Malware

Christopher Bessler :

Norton Internet Security does not protect from all Malware.

Christopher Bessler :

NO internet security software protects from all malware.

Christopher Bessler :

But Microsoft Security Essentials is very good at finding and eliminating redirect viruses.

Christopher Bessler :

Please give this a try while Norton is disabled.

Customer:

There are two files on the Microsoft site, amd64 and x86. Which do i use?

Christopher Bessler :

If your load of Windows is 32 bit, use the x86 one.

Christopher Bessler :

If it is 64-bit, use amd64

Customer:

Ok i'll try that

Christopher Bessler :

OK.

Christopher Bessler :

I know this will take quite a while.

Christopher Bessler :

I will switch this to a Q&A format question.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Let me know how this works out. I will be available to continue if this has no impact.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This didn't work. I had previously restored back t the last date i know i had internet access. The but since a new windows update took place i have lost the connection again. Restoring no longer works.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Expert:  jstinehelfer replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an expert with JustAnswer.com. Thank you so much for using our services. I am sorry your having trouble today and understand your frustration. Hopefully we can resolve your problem together.

There can be a few things that might be causing this problem. One is maleware which can slip past Norton. Another is the settings in Internet Options, the other is the anti virus is causing you to not connect.

Somethings to think about here is the following. Is your Norton Anti Virus updated all the way? If it is not then Anti Virus programs tend to block you until you update the virus definitions. Try to make sure you anti virus is updated please and retest.

If that is not the case we need to check you Internet Options settings. Open up Internet Explorer. Select the Tools Menu then Internet options. If you can not find your Internet Options here you can go to your control panel and find it there as well. In internet options there should be a connections tab click on that tab. Then you will see a Lan settings button. Click on this. Make sure the only check box that is checked is the top one that says Auto Detect settings. If the other two are checked please uncheck them. Then retest and see if you can connect.

The next idea is your anti virus has become corrupt and is blocking you. The only solution is to uninstall it and reinstall it. I myself use Microsoft Security Essentials. It covers maleware, viruses, and spy ware all in one. But before going that far lets try to prove this theory first. There is a way you can do a clean boot. A clean boot disables everything that is considered 3rd party software on startup. Once you do this then retest your Internet. In most cases you will find it will work. If this is the case then there is a 3rd party software that is causing the problem. The question is how to determine which program it is.

I am giving you a link to a Microsoft support article. It explains how to do a clean boot for testing. then it gives you the steps on how to re enable things one by one until you find the problem is back and can determine what software is causing the problem. In my experience it always seems to point to anti virus. But I could be wrong.

Please click on the following link and go through and do a clean boot and see if your Internet will work. Follow the instructions on how to enable things one by one to figure out which software is doing it. It is either a startup or service that can cause this problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 <click link

If you get stuck any where just let me know and I can jump in and help you more. Just let me know where your stuck at. If you find the service or startup item that is causing the problem please let me know as well so I can give you the next steps to take to resolve this problem. Just tell me what startup or service that is the problem.

If this fixes your problem please take the time in giving me a good service rating for helping you with your problem. If you need more information please ask for more help and I will be glad to assist you more.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried the clean reboot and still don't get a connection. I can't update the virus protection because it is not connected to the internet.

Please click on the start button type command prompt and when it comes up I need you to type the following then press enter.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Then tell me if you see an IP address Gateway address and DNS entries
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. One other thing. I just went back to system config. The Norton bix won't untick, it comes back when i press apply

Let me know the info on the IPCONFIG /ALL screen in command prompt

Also you can type PING 8.8.8.8
and press enter
see if it fails or successful
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ping stats. Sent 4 received 3 lost 1I'm typing on a smart phone.... that's a lot of text to type out for you.

Lets try forgetting the connection then reconnecting the connection assuming you know your password XXXXX the wifi.

click on the five signal bars in the bottom right corner and open network and sharing center.

under Tasks click Manage Wireless Networks.

Delete the networks you don't want to be stored which in this case is the name of the wifi you are connected to. (right click > Remove Network).

Then exit out of this screen
Click on the Five bar signal in the bottom right and select your wifi name.
Then connect again and see if this fixes the problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still no internet connecton. Uninstalling Norton.

Ok keep me posted on the outcome of this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Norton is gone, internet is back. I assume i can re-download Norton

So it was Anti Virus causing the problem then. I have seen this many times.

I would not use Norton. It slows down your system. I would use Microsoft Security Essentials personally. I use it on all of my county computers and personal ones at home. It is free of charge.

make sure you pick the correct 32bit or 64 bit version. If you see X86 that is for 32bit.

If you choose to use Norton then yes you would need to download and reinstall it.

Now that I have resolved your problem if you could be so kind as to give me a good service rating. You have a happy holiday and best wishes to you and your family.
jstinehelfer, PC Technician
Experience: A+ Comptia Certified computer repair