R.A. McConnell
R.A. McConnell, Network Admin
Experience:  A-Plus, MCP, 18+ years experience, LINUX admin
45119205

reconnect ipod to belkin box

Customer Question

reconnect ipod to belkin box
Category: Networking
Expert:  R.A. McConnell replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'll be happy to help you with this.

I realize that there's a lot of information here, but I don't have a lot of information about your specific situation and there are a lot of different things that may be causing your problem, so I'm hoping that a more thorough response will serve you better. If this is too much all at once, please let me know and I'll be happy to break it down into a shorter list of steps.

The most common reasons that a device might not be able to connect to a wireless network are as follows:

• You have the incorrect wireless password, security key, or passphrase. Even one letter being either upper- or lower-case when it's not supposed to be can cause this problem, as can a number or letter being mistaken for it's opposite, like zero (0) and "oh" (O) as well as one (1) and "el" (l). This can be checked or verified in the router's web-based configuration utility.

• The MAC (hardware) address of your iPod has not been authorized to work on your wireless network, or address filtering was recently enabled and your iPod's address is not yet authorized to use the wireless network. This gets changed in the router's web-based configuration utility.

• Your wireless adapter is turned off or otherwise non-functional inside the iPod. You can test this by trying to connect to another wireless network, perhaps at a friend or relative's house, a coffee shop, public library, or other location that offers a free WiFi connection.

• You're having a signal strength or quality problem with your wireless adapter or router. This can be ruled out by using the iPod near the router (in the same room), or next to another piece of equipment that is working on your wireless network.

• Your wireless router is a multi-band capable router that is set to only use a band that your iPod cannot use. This can only be checked or changed in your router's web-based configuration utility, and is fairly rare.

• As a less common item, I've occasionally seen the DHCP server on a wireless router set to only allow so many systems to connect to it, or only provide IP addresses to a specific list of MAC addresses (this is different from MAC address filtering and is generally called "address reservation"), and that list of addresses doesn't contain the MAC address for your iPod (which has a different MAC address from the wired network adapter). Checking or changing this also requires access to your router's web-based configuration utility.

As a first couple of steps, which will help eliminate quite a few other potential problems, I'd check to see if your iPod can connect to wireless networks in other locations (this will eliminate the possibility of the wireless adapter being turned off or being otherwise non-functional), perhaps at a coffee shop or library. After that, I'd check to see if any other wireless device is working with your router. If there are one or more wireless devices currently working correctly with your router, we can eliminate the possibility that the router isn't working at all. After that, I'd log into the router from a computer that is wired to it and manually verify the wireless network name (SSID), wireless channel being used, wireless band being used, encryption type, wireless password (or security key, or passphrase, or pre-shared key, depending on what your router calls it), and whether or not MAC address filtering is enabled (some routers call this an "access list" or something similar).

If you get that far and can confirm that you have the correct wireless network name, security information, and that MAC address filtering is either not enabled or the MAC address of your iPod is entered in the list, and that your iPod can connect to other wireless networks and you have other wireless devices working on this wireless network, then the next step is to check to ensure that there are non-reserved addresses still available in the router's DHCP server configuration.

If you get to the point that it is time to check on your wireless network settings in your Belkin router, please let me know the specific model number of your router and I'll be happy to provide step-by-step instructions for checking and retrieving your settings.

If you would like clarification on any of these points, more depth in my answer, or if you have additional questions with regard to this matter, please don't hesitate to ask for more information and I'll be happy to continue to lend a hand.
R.A. McConnell, Network Admin
Experience: A-Plus, MCP, 18+ years experience, LINUX admin
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Problem was with my ipod not belkin box, thanks for effort to help.

You're most welcome. If you need any further assistance with regard to this matter, please don't hesitate to ask and I'll be glad to lend a hand. If you need assistance with any other matter, please feel free to ask for me by name and I'll be happy to help.