Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, System Administrator
Experience:  Fully conversant with Networking (LAN/WAN) and associated systems (Active Directory/Firewalls etc)
65126503

now running Synergy and Team Viewer (both are necessary because

now running Synergy and Team Viewer (both are necessary because sometimes a dialogue box blocks Synergy and I have to start Team viewer to clear it). BT having screwed up my broadband, I now find that IP address of main computer has changed and synergy no longer works. remote pc is trying to connect to an IP no longer existing and main pc has been assigned IP address of my phone. need to reset PC Ip address from command prompt. did this once before, very simple, two lines, something like "ipconfig release" followed by "Ipconfig new 192.168.1.66". but cannot remember syntax. want to reatain original IP addresses as I have 7 devices on the net incl pcs, mac, ipad, phone and printer

Steve Herrod :

Hi, command to release and renew ip addresses should be

Steve Herrod :

ipconfig /release

Steve Herrod :

ipconfig /renew

Steve Herrod :

although if IP addressing is causing a problem, assuming each device is correctly receiving a dynamic address then could hostnames be used?

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer:

sorry, you lost me. keep it simple cos i'm thick. ip addresses have been assigned by system after broadband issue. but main pc ip address has been changed from 192.168.1.66 to 192.168.1.64.

Customer:

problem is Synergy uses IP addresses to communicate, so I want to change the new Ip addresses back to before. It was simple last time. but cannot remember teh cammand and syntax

Steve Herrod :

ok - checking....

Steve Herrod :

Just to confirm - is each device on the network set to obtain an IP address automatically?

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer:

Lost me again. How can I tell? is it DHCP? have gone into daignostics of my BT router. DCHP is set. it now has given my PC's IP to my phone and my laptop's ip to my printer. I think that it forgets from time to time which is what, reassigns IPs and then starts all over again. For example, it has just given my laptop the IP for my Apple Mac, so now that's buggered. I have a lis tof all the IPs as they were and that's how I would like them to stay, seems simpler to me. Can I do it? Is it a good idea. What happens if IPs are fixed and I take my Ipad ( say) to an internet cafe where it clashes with someone else's?

Steve Herrod :

Yes - that sounds like DHCP, the system maintains a 'pool' of addresses and they are allocated on a first come, first served basis so they can change from time to time. The way to prevent this would be to either program each machine with a static/fixed IP address although this would then run into issues like you say when the iPad is taken to an Internet cafe.

Steve Herrod :

The best solution would need to be to set the BT router to reserve IP addresses for your equipment based on their unique information. So the PC would always be allocated a certain address as would the iPad etc

Steve Herrod :

but this wouldn't effect taking the iPad to other sites and using it there

Steve Herrod :

The quickest way to resolve this would be to remotely connect to the router and make the changes. Unfortunately I can't do this as only certain experts have the Just Answer remote access tools and I'm not allowed to use my normal tools here

Steve Herrod :

I can opt out for another Expert who could remote in? They will see the chat history so far as well

Steve Herrod :

Let me know

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer:

rather stick with you if we can. Have accessed router and looked at DHCP table. On each device there is option to "always use this IP address". Have set this to Yes for devices with correct IP address. Then plan release the other devices from their own command prompt and renew until they come up with the addesses I want. BUT, can't get the syntax right for ipconfig /release. command ipconfig/release brings up "the requested operation requires elevation" (should I try standing on a chair?)

Steve Herrod :

ah - the old elevation message

Steve Herrod :

if on Windows 7 or Vista you have to run the Command Prompt as an Administrator

Steve Herrod :

If you go to Start-->All Programs-->Accessories

Steve Herrod :

and right-click Command Prompt, then choose 'Run as Administrator'

Steve Herrod :

that should then allow the IPconfig commands to function

Customer:

gotcha. but it reassigned the same IP .. presumably it assigns the lowest available, so I need to take them offline in order so that the number is XXXXX or do I have to switch oof the router each time?

Steve Herrod :

taking them offline in the order should be sufficient

Customer:

will have to go now. start again tomorrow.

Steve Herrod :

no problem

Customer:

OK, the deal is done. Tx for the heads up on how to make IPCONFIG work. Working from the router, lock all IPs that match my schedule. then shut down all devices, and that means power off, particulaarly with the phone. You have "give up the lease" on the IP addresses at the router. In my case, easiest to set lease time to minimum 1 hour and go and watch Telly. then bring up devices in sequence and as each is assigned an IP, lock it via the router software.