dukey01
dukey01, PC Support Tech
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.

Cannot get Cisco guest sign in screen to come up on laptop

Customer Question

Category: Networking
Expert:  dukey01 replied 1 year ago.

Customer:

Hi. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X'X happy to assist. Is the Cisco guest network showing up on the list of available networks on any other wireless device?

Customer :

Yes. And I can connect to regular network. Guest sign in screen comes up on Iphone and I pad, but not PC.

Customer:

Is the pc using Win 7?

Customer :

yes

Customer:

If you left click on the wireless icon down by the clock, when the window opens, you see the listing for your main wireless network but not for your-wireless-network_Guest?

Customer:

I want to make sure I understand what's going on.

Customer :

I see both and I can connect to the wireless guest. Displays message that additional sign on information is necessary to open browser. However, when I open browser while connected to guest network, IE8 grinds for a while and then returns message that no network connection available.

Customer:

Are you using the Cisco Connect software?

Customer :

I just moved and prior to move, Cisco sign-in screen would routinely come up and could connect by entering guest password.

Customer :

Yes

Customer:

Open Cisco Connect and check the guest network settings. If additional sign on information is needed it's usually a wireless security issue.

Customer :

Also tried other browsers with same result

Customer :

Already done that.

Customer:

Do this. In Cisco Connect click on Router Settings. Under Other Options click on Advanced Settings. On the next page click OK

Customer:

This will take you in to the main router setup pages

Customer:

Click the Wireless tab from the horizontal menu at the top of the page

Customer:

Then click the Guest Access subtab for more options.

Customer :

Dont see Guest Access subtab.

Customer:

What model router do you have?

Customer :

Linksys E3000

Customer :

Want to emphasize that Cisco guest screen is coming up with no problem on Apple devices. Does not seem to be a problem with router. Something on PC seems to be blocking sign-in screen.

Customer:

Have you tried turning off any Windows or third party firewalls?

Customer :

No, but has not been necessary in the past.

Customer:

On your Apple devices, are they able to connect and surf on the guest network without issue?

Customer :

Yes

Customer:

On the PC, after your wireless tells you you are connected to the guest network, what does Internet Explorer tell you when you open it?

Customer :

I have Google as home page. IE grinds on it for a couple of minutes and then returns a message that no internet connection available

Customer:

Do you get the same message if you try to go to another site?

Customer :

seems that for some reason PC security is blocking Cisco sign-in page.

Customer :

Yes

Customer:

Is there a Norton or McAfee product involved here?

Customer :

yes

Customer:

Which one?

Customer :

MaAfee Security Scan Plus

Customer :

also using PC Tools Spyware Doctor

Customer:

Turn off or temporarily disable the internet security features to see if you can get connected. I don't think spyware doctor is to blame for this.

Customer :

Ok, but to do that I am going to have to disconnect from main network which will disconnect our chat. How do I get back to you.

Customer:

Just return to JustAnswer.com and log in and you can return to this question.

Customer:

I'll have this screen up on my end

Customer :

turning off firewall did not solve problem

Customer:

I have another question. When you went into the router setup pages and clicked on the Wireless tab, did the page you saw say Wi-Fi Protected Setup in big letters?

Customer :

yes

Customer:

At the top of the page is a small radial button labeled Manual, select that to change the page.

Customer:

You should then see the Guest Access tab

Customer :

asked for a username and password

Customer:

hold on one moment

Customer:

Use admin/admin for Username/Password

Customer :

doesnt work

Customer:

In Cisco Connect on the Router Settings page on left side under Personalize it will show that information.

Customer:

If Cisco Connect doesn't show a Username leave that area empty and just use the password.

Customer :

OK, I'm in

Customer :

still no guest subtab

Customer :

Dukey,

Customer:

Under Wireless is there any setting you can see that would indicate guest account configuration?

Customer :

No. I have to go to meeting. if you come up with anything please email me at XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Customer:

I'll check some things out. You'll be able to find my response here when you return.

Expert:  dukey01 replied 1 year ago.

The PC is connecting to the router, just not the internet. I would like you to change some settings on the wireless adapter to see if we can get it to the internet. But first I need to check the addressing the computer is getting from the router. Hold down the Windows logo key and press R. This will invoke the Run dialog box. In the text area enter: cmd and click OK. At the flashing prompt in the black window enter ipconfig and hit Enter. I'm interested in the info for:

IP V4 Address and Default Gateway for the Wireless Lan Adapter

Expert:  dukey01 replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Something just came to mind. Since the PC can connect to your main network but isn't getting a guest login screen I was thinking there may be a pop-up blocker turned on in Internet Explorer. Could you check that? In IE Tools-Pop up Blocker, and make sure it's off. Close and re-open IE.