SSolim
SSolim, LAN/WAN Engineer
Experience:  CCNA and US Army Satellite Systems maintainer. Years of experience running a DOD facility with 3000+ customers
28576655

I tried everything...cant connect my epson wf 2540 to my laptop

Customer Question

I tried everything...can't connect my epson wf 2540 to my laptop wirelessly..tried ethernet connection too....worked once only??
Category: Networking
Expert:  SSolim replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try and help you fix this.

This could be caused by a variety of reasons.

Let's try and figure out what the problem is.

Can you connect your printer either wired or wirelessly to your network (whichever one you are going to permanently use) and unplug the usb cable from your PC.

I now need two sets of information from you

The IP address, subnet mask and default gateway of your computer. This can be found by holding the windows key + r together and you will get a run prompt. in there type in "cmd" and hit enter. You are now at a command prompt window.

Type in "ipconfig /all" and it will come back with the information about your adapters.

On your printer

You can print a network status sheet to help you determine the causes of any problems you may have using your product on a network.

1. Press the Menu button.
  2. Press the up or down arrow buttons to select Wi-Fi/Network Settings and press the OK button.
  3. Press the up or down arrow buttons to select Confirm Wi-Fi/Network Settings and press the OK button.
  4. Press one of the Start buttons twice to print the network status sheet. (Press the Stop/Reset button if you want to cancel the operation.)

please reply with the requested information

Examine the settings shown on the network status sheet to diagnose any problems you have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry....hope I'm not too late....ip 192.168.1.89...subnet 255.255.255.0
default gateway is blank

status sheet printed but I'm unable to identify any issues

Expert:  SSolim replied 1 year ago.
Hi, can you please verify. 192.168.1.89 is the default ip of your computer and has no default gateway?
What is the ip address, subnet mask and default gateway of the printer?

If your computer has in fact no default gateway may I ask why? is it running two or more network connections?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry...just found default gateway...192.168.1.254

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

also, 192.168.1.89 shows as "preferred" IPv4 Address

Expert:  SSolim replied 1 year ago.
so that is your computer.
What are the network settings for your printer. Ip address, subnet mask and default gateway?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

IP - 169.254.159.180/255.255.0.0/Default says NONE....from the printer status sheet

Expert:  SSolim replied 1 year ago.
Ah! there is your problem. Your printer has an APIPA IP address. It is invalid.
it means it is not correctly connected to your local network.
So lets get started.
Can you connect your printer to your network? If you already have can you check to make sure that either the wireless settings are correct, that it is in a good place with a strong signal or if it is wired that it is connected with a regular straight through ethernet cable to an open lan port on your router.

On a side note do you happen to know why your default gateway is 192.168.1.254 that is not a usual configuration
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've only been able to connect my printer to my local network once..since then I cant set up printer to my network. it continues to say failed. I'll tried with ethernet and printer still doesnt recognize network. i have the cable ready to plug in if u advise. Not sure why gateway is such....found under category Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection

wireless settings correct on printer...signal shows excellent

Expert:  SSolim replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I assume you have WPA or WEP enabled on your wireless network. Is it possible that you typed in the wireless password XXXXX missed a capital letter etc.
If you would like to disable the wireless on the printer and hook it up with an ethernet cable that would determine if you wireless settings are incorrect. Once you have done either one please wait about 2 minutes and reprint the printer settings page

On the side again, the computer you are on can connect to the internet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

password XXXXX right...same one used to connect iphones to wireless router....restored wireless settings back to default and connected ethernet cable....printed status sheet....what info from the sheet would u need?

yes....this laptop is connected to the wireless router and is connected to the internet..

Expert:  SSolim replied 1 year ago.
okay. I need the ip address, subnet mask and default gateway
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

192.168.1.92/255.255.255.0/192.168.1.254

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry....that was under <TCP/IP IPv4>......hope that was right

Expert:  SSolim replied 1 year ago.
great your printer is properly on your network
on your computer can you ping the printer
This can be done by holding the windows key + r together and you will get a run prompt. in there type in "cmd" and hit enter. You are now at a command prompt window. type in "ping 192.168.1.92"
You will get 4 attempts. I need to know if you got a response or if they timed out. what is the loss %?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sent 4....received 4...lost 0 0% loss....it ping'd w 32 bytes...but i have 64? not sure if thats a factor....min 3ms, max 9ms...avg 5ms

Expert:  SSolim replied 1 year ago.
perfect. your computer can see your printer.
If you have the printer software you can run it now and it should see the printer. Alternatively I can show you a quick and dirty way to print to your printer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the software is simply attempting to install again?....whats the quick way in case it doesnt work?

Expert:  SSolim replied 1 year ago.
You can try and add the printer via the native windows function
goto control panels > devices and printers > right click in an empty spot and go to add a printer
It should begin searching for a printer, it should find your printer and you can install it that way. You have basic printer functionality.
If that doesn't work there are a couple of other ways
SSolim, LAN/WAN Engineer
Experience: CCNA and US Army Satellite Systems maintainer. Years of experience running a DOD facility with 3000+ customers
Expert:  SSolim replied 1 year ago.
I do apologize I missed a step after you click add a printer click on connect to a network printer.
Expert:  SSolim replied 1 year ago.
Follow up to make sure all is good
Expert:  SSolim replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, I am following up to thank you for the positive feedback and authorizing payment. I just wanted to make sure this issue is actually resolved and you can print. You can reply in this thread if you are still having problems and we can pick it up