SSolim
SSolim, LAN/WAN Engineer
Experience:  CCNA and US Army Satellite Systems maintainer. Years of experience running a DOD facility with 3000+ customers
28576655

I bought a new D-Link Wireless N300+ Router to replace my ADSL-Router

Customer Question

I bought a new D-Link Wireless N300+ Router to replace my ADSL-Router mode DSL-G604T.
However, I find that when I tried to instal the N300+, my D-Link filter ceased working. The telephone connection cut out and then I was not able to get on line through Transact ACT with the new D-Link device. Can you help?
Category: Networking
Expert:  SSolim replied 2 years ago.

SSolim :

Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try and help you

SSolim :

It looks like we just have to get your new router/modem configured with your internet provider's settings.

SSolim :

Who is your ISP?

Customer:

Transact based in C anberra A.C.T. Australia

SSolim :

Alright, let me look them up and try and find your adsl settings. One thing you will need which I cannot provide is your dsl/adsl user name and password. It was probably given to you when you first started. On newer modems this was stored in the settings and the device would log in for you. If you don't have these you will have to get them from Transact

Customer:

OK

SSolim :

Do you have a DSL-2740B?

Customer:

no. the just purchased Router is model no. DIR-645. Is this what you are asking me for?

SSolim :

yes that is correct

Customer:

OK. So what is next step for me?

SSolim :

I'm a little confused. You just want the smart point configured?

Customer:

Yes. But it is not currently connected. I am using my old model because of difficulty in connecting the new. If I try to connect the the new smart beam D-Link I will lose connection with you.

SSolim :

Ah. Okay I can help you with that

Customer:

Thanks.

SSolim :

Those two routers use the same default IP range. If you add the new one without configureing it you will an IP conflict. Do you happen to have a second computer? If not I can lay out the instructions instead of going step by step with you

Customer:

Don't have a second computer. I should add I am a bit slow as a creaky old octogenerian.

SSolim :

No problem. Just for clarification it looks like your smart beam is not an adsl modem and will have to go in series with the N300+

SSolim :

The N300 has a wireless adapter on it. Any reason you don't just want to use that one?

Customer:

Are you saying I can bypass the adsl filter?

SSolim :

I am not

SSolim :

the filter has to stay in. The N300 has to stay in. The smart beam router in unable to connect to TransACT without another device.

Customer:

I am sorry SSolim. I just don't get it. I have never had this kind of difficulty before.. It seems I might have to hire some local help.

SSolim :

I am sorry I'm unable to help. If you'd like we can continue to try and fix this. I'm happy to opt out if you'd like another expert to help you

Customer:

No. I felt I was taking too much of your time. Did you mean in the previous sentence that the D-Link Wireles N300+ has to be connected through the existing D-Link ADSL + Router?

SSolim :

No. I'll give you a brief overview. To work with DSL which is what Transact uses. Physically from the wall you have to have a DSL filter, a modem, and then a router. From my understanding currently you just have the D-Link Wireless N300+ which is hooked physically to the filter to the wall. The D-Link N300+ is a modem and a router. The Smart Beam is not a modem. It can do routing and will give you a wireless network, however it needs a modem to get you on the internet.

Customer:

Thank you. That does make a solution much clearer. I had not understood thast it did not have modem capacity. Phew! Even the salesman did not explain that. Thank you very much.I would like to imagine I am not too old to pick up on new information!

SSolim :

That being said, ideally what solution would you like?

Customer:

To connect Wireless N300 Router and Smart beam.

SSolim :

too easy. To get that working you are going to have to disable DHCP on the smart beam. This will take you offline. Please hold on and I will give you detailed instructions. If at any time it doesn't work just remove the smart beam and come back here and we will continue to troubleshoot or if I'm not around another expert can help you

Customer:

I'm sorry S Solim. I have been called away. I'll save what you have written and will need perhaps to resume later. Thanks for your patience.

SSolim :

sure, I will post the instructions here and you can review them later

SSolim, LAN/WAN Engineer
Experience: CCNA and US Army Satellite Systems maintainer. Years of experience running a DOD facility with 3000+ customers
Expert:  SSolim replied 2 years ago.

To configure your smart beam.

Power it on and either physically connect your computer to one of the lan ports labeled 1-4 or through the wireless (the lan ports are preferred)

in your browser type in 192.168.0.1 you should then see the log in page. the defaults are Admin and the password XXXXX XXXXX If you have changed them you will need to enter the correct information.

The manual is not entirely clear, but you can click around.

The two things you need set are

Internet Connection Type: My Internet Connection is: "Dynamic IP (DHCP)

Network Settings > DHCP Server settings: UNCHECK the "Enable DHCP Server" check box.

You can also go to the wireless settings page and configure your wireless network as you like. There is a wizard option there which should be very easy.

Once you are done look for the save or apply options.

When that is done. Disconnect from your Smart beam and connect the "Internet" port to any of the open ports on the N300+ you should then be able to use it's wireless and wired options without any issue.

If you need clarification or further assistance please let me know

SSolim, LAN/WAN Engineer
Expert:  SSolim replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thank you for the feedback and bonus. I just want to follow up with you in the next 2 days to make sure everything works out for you.
Expert:  SSolim replied 2 years ago.

Hi again. I would like to make sure your issue has been resolved. Please let me know if you need further information or assistance with this. You can respond in this thread.