Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, System Administrator
Experience:  Fully conversant with Networking (LAN/WAN) and associated systems (Active Directory/Firewalls etc)
65126503

Had same email addy and password XXXXX many month and all I had

Customer Question

Had same email addy and password XXXXX many month and all I had to do was click on the icon on screen. Then one day I clicked as usual and a message came up that i had to sign into Windows Live and change password, but then WL kept telling me they could not identify my addy or password. Submitted several times but nothing except that they were working on it - then the only answer was that they could not identify any account. Finally I made new addy and new password XXXXX then could get on the net; however, I cannot find my old contact list. This happened earlier this year and when I got it going I had lost THAT contact list. Took PC to shop and he couldn't come up with anythinng either. I run XP and IE7. Had to go in and change my addy with everyone I could remember, including autopay accounts. Is there any way to retreive my 2 old contact lists or are they gone forever?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 2 years ago.

Steve Herrod :

Hi, I'll be happy to help with this issue - was the old address @live.com or @hotmail.com?

Steve Herrod :

And did you access this via the website or via Outlook Express/Windows Live Mail for example?

Steve Herrod :

Let me know and I'll be able to advise further

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer:

hotmail.com

just used hotmail.com until this box came up and told me I HAD to sign into Windows Live - things went blooey after that.

I will be unavailable until this evening. Hope this isn't a problem for you.

Steve Herrod, System Administrator
Experience: Fully conversant with Networking (LAN/WAN) and associated systems (Active Directory/Firewalls etc)
Hi Audrey,

No problem - I will check some things and send an update prior to this evening and we can catch up then.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Catch you later, then.

Thanks Audrey - speak to you later!

Cheers

Steve
Hi Audrey,

Just out of interest, if you go to www.outlook.com and login with the original details does it display anything at all?

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I never use Outlook because I could never get a NET password XXXXX I used msn.com, then switched to hotmail.com.

Hi Audrey,

Understood - Outlook.com is the new interface and login for hotmail.com so if you can go to

www.outlook.com

and enter your details there, let me know what happens?

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Eureka! Got outlook and it signed me rihht in with daisy2duker2, etc. Will check it further, but it looks like my contacts have reappeared, at least in part -anyhow, more than I was getting.. Embarassed.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Got outlookand some of my cotacts. Have to leave again - have compahy. I will see if thy know anythingaout Outlook. I did't put in mh old info where all mhycontacts were that MSN cannot find.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Audrey,

No problem - as the login/accounts are generally all moving to the new Outlook.com interface things often work better when logging in via

www.outlook.com

Let me know how it is going whenever convenient

Cheers

Steve
Steve Herrod, System Administrator
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am in better shape than when we started; however, I still cannot get the match for my addy that i used for a long time and the password that i had when i got mixed up with the windows live signin box. They got me so confused it may all be flying around in cyberspace. They must have had my info, though, because some of my contacts came back when i got to Outlook. Maybe i will have to go and see if my ISP can follow me from initial signin for DSL up until now??? I have to call them tomorrow anyhow to get a modem using ethernet.

I must have scads of email under my addy of XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. That's what I had when WL got me all befuddled.

Hi Audrey,

Thanks for the update - it should be possible I would have thought, and worth checking what options the ISP has.

Let me know

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just a little note - I have had email come up on FB with yet a different signin than the original problem one, and one with yet another, both besides the one that i am corresponding with you, so that makes 3 addys. The answer lies somewhere in the passwords that are all muddled up, even though i wrote them down as i changed them. Thanks for all your help. I will leave you in peace until I get the modem and get it up and running.

Aud

Hi Audrey,

No problem at all - I think you may well be right. Once the modem is up and running we can review and work through it all then.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK Thanks. Will be gone all this morning.

Aud

Hi Aud,

No problem - I have to teach a course for next couple of hours so whenever is convenient for you

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry to have been off contact for so long. have had other important problems here that had to be dealt with. I called the company whose modem I have (my IP provided the one i have), and the guy told me i don't need a new modem - all I have to do is hook up an ethernet connection from the modem i have to the phone jack. However, the local computer guy (who built my computer) says i need an ethernet modem cuz usb cannot be converted. I don't understand enough of this stuff to know what they mean, but my son now tells me i need an ethernet modem. Just letting you know where my situation is at this point. Then we are off to medical appts for most of the rest of the day 9:31 our time now. Audrey

Hi Audrey,

Thanks for the update - I was offline most of yesterday but will review and update you later today.

Cheers

Steve
Hi Audrey,

Think I am up to date - one last question, what is the make and model of the device you currently use to connect to the Internet with?

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for all your help

. My son got the thing figured out, so I guess all is okay. Still cannot find my old contact list, but am getting a new one worked up, so I am just going to forget about trying to find any old stuff and go from here.

Hi Audrey,

Thanks for the update - glad things seem to be going ok with it all.

Cheers

Steve