Nathan, System Administrator
Experience:  IT systems admin, network installer
59725966

connecting my bunker hill security dvr to pc and iphone with

Customer Question

connecting my bunker hill security dvr item 68332 to pc and iphone with linksys wrt54gs v5

Category: Networking
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome to justanswer, a pay site for expert technical help. My name is Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. When we are finished, you’ll rate my answer to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer. My goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_______________________

p0llinate :

There are a few steps to this. You need to have a static internet side ip address (or use a dynamic ip address service), assign a static IP to the dvr on the lan side, and then you can set up the port forwarding.

Customer :

hello Nathan think i have a static ip set up i pinged 192.168.1.105 on cmd prompt and it came back connection timed out no reply I then port forwared it on my linksys router to ports 9000 and 80 on both tcp and utp

p0llinate :

Are you trying to access the dvr from within the network, or from outside (over the internet from another location)?

Customer :

both and its not working

p0llinate :

The outside connection won't work without a static IP address or dynamic translation service (on the internet side).

The internal is likely an IP conflict as well. If you didn't get a ping response, then your .105 address is probably not correct for the dvr. Did you assign that as a static IP to the dvr? Is the port forwarding set to the .105 port?

Customer :

yes i assigned it to the dvr

Customer :

once i forwarded it I pinged it and it did reply

p0llinate :

Ok good.

But you still aren't getting through from within the network?

p0llinate :

Are you using a special program/app? Or just trying to access via web browser?

Customer :

via the web on the pc and via Asee+ on iphone but the dvr came with a program called Netviewer that wont let me access it either

Customer :
Port Range

Application

Start

End

Protocol

IP Address

Enable

to

TCPUDPBoth
192.168.1.

to

TCPUDPBoth
192.168.1.
p0llinate :

Ok, when you try via web, make sure you type in the full path of the dvr and the ports

p0llinate :

So in your browser you'd use this as the address: 192.168.0.105:9000

p0llinate :

ON what you just sent me, unless part was cut off, I don't see the protocol/port numbers, the destination ip, or that it is enabled.

Customer :

I type in http://192.168.1.105:9000 and it says Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Customer :

protocol is set to both port number 9000 and 80 and both enabled

p0llinate :

try it with https://

Customer :

says Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

p0llinate :

Do you have another browser you can test?

p0llinate :

Do you have UPNP enabled on the router?

p0llinate :

Have you checked the actual configuration menu on the dvr (under the network info/test function) to make sure it's really pulling the .105 IP?

Customer :

UPNP is enabled

p0llinate :

You'll want to make sure NAT is enabled as well.

Customer :

how would i check that on the dvr menu

Customer :

how do i check NAT is enabled

p0llinate :

You should be able to view those settings on the dvr monitor and navigate the menu using the front panel buttons or remote.

p0llinate :

It should be in the same place that you set the static IP into the dvr configuration.

p0llinate :

NAT should be in with the firewall functions on the router config menu.

Customer :

there is no info test on there

p0llinate :

There is usually a status type menu to confirm the network settings.

Customer :

Filter Internet NAT Redirection?

p0llinate :

If that is a check box, uncheck it. You don't want NAT to be filtered.

Customer :

it was unchecked

p0llinate :

Ok

p0llinate :

Can you tell me how you assigned the .105 ip to the dvr?

Customer :

in the menu i went to network and for the type I put it on static for the media port i set it to 9000 for the web port i set it to 80 for the ip i set it to 192.168.1.105 for the subnet I set it to 255.255.255.000 for gateway i set it to 192.168.1.1 for the dns i set it to 075.075.075.075

p0llinate :

Where did you get this dns address from?

Customer :

ipconfig

p0llinate :

On your computer?

Customer :

yes

p0llinate :

If you can, leave it blank on the dvr or set it to the same address as the gateway.

Customer :

ipconfig/all is where the dns server numbers are

Customer :

so you want me to leave the dns blank

p0llinate :

Yes, try it blank first, if it won't accept that or won't work, we'll go back and put in the 192.168.1.1

Customer :

ok i set it to 192.168.1.1 system is restarting now

p0llinate :

Ok

Customer :

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

p0llinate :

Ok go ahead and put in the router IP for the dns then

Customer :

but its working on the iphone via wifi now

Customer :

i did put the dns as the router ip

p0llinate :

You're using an app on the ipone, right?

Customer :

yes

Customer :

but it only works on the wifi at home if i connect to my neighbor wifi it doesnt work and if I turn off my wifi it doesnt work and its supposed to work via the network or any wifi

p0llinate :

Right, that is because you don't have the port forwarding set up correctly, or because you don't have a static IP (internet side)

p0llinate :

Using an outside network you can't just put in the 192.168.1.105, that is an internal address. You have to put in the external (internet side) IP address, which is provided by your ISP

Customer :

so my external ip is what?

Customer :

port forwarding is set up correctly or it wouldnt ping on my cmd prompt

p0llinate :

You can find out your current address by going to IP chicken.com

The problem is that it changes randomly.

p0llinate :

So you either have to pay extra to your ISP to give you a static IP that never changes, or use a translation service (like dyndns.org) to keep it up to date, so you can always access the dvr from the internet.

Customer :

so I would have to set up a dyndns and a ddns

p0llinate :

Correct. Or you can manually keep track of your IP by checking it periodically. There are also software programs you can put on your computer that will email you whenever it changes.

Customer :

so basically i am right back where i started with it not setup

p0llinate :

It is just a few extra steps to use the external IP address. The port forward seems to be working since you can access via iphone. If it's not working on the computer I would suspect it's an internet explorer problem.

p0llinate :

When you want to connect from the internet side (your neighbors connection) put in the external ip address. Say its 273.12.58.74. You'd use that as your IP address on the iphone app (with the :9000 at the end, if the app doesn't have a separate line where you put the port #)

Customer :

it does have a seperate line for the port so i would have to change the ip address on the dvr to 192.168.1.1?

p0llinate :

No, leave the dvr alone.

p0llinate :

The IP address on the dvr itself (not an app setting on the phone) stays at .105

p0llinate :

That is what the port forwarding does. When it gets a request from the internet for port 9000, the router will take that and pass it along to the dvr.

p0llinate :

In the phone app, you'll put your external IP address (from the ipchicken site) and then port 9000 on the next line. That's all you should have to do.

Customer :

24.60.26.73 from ip chicken

Customer :

24.60.26.73 from ipchicken

p0llinate :

There is something else blocked, probably in your firewall settings. I cannot ping your IP

p0llinate :

So the router is rejecting the connection.

Customer :

my router says my ip is 192.168.1.1

p0llinate :

Yes, that is your internal IP

Customer :

i have to firewall and virus protection shut off since before i asked this question on this site

Customer :

so what do you mean something else is blocked because u cant ping my ip

p0llinate :

Simply that, I'm not sure what setting it is offhand, but your router is blocking external requests from the internet.

p0llinate :

Meaning that your port forwarding won't work from outside your network because the router is blocking the connection.

p0llinate :

Have you updated your router firmware lately?

p0llinate :

Go on your security tab under firewall and uncheck all the boxes there.

p0llinate :

Ok, I can ping you now, so that's a good start.

Customer :

ok i unchecked all the boxes i changed the settings on the dvr for port 9009 and 8080

p0llinate :

Did you set those ports within the dvr menu as well then?

Customer :

yes and i forward those ports on the router

p0llinate :

I'm able to see the dvr on 8080, so it looks like it's working.

p0llinate :

Note I didn't actually view anything, I'm sure there is a plug in to download for the browser and username/password to enter, but the connection works.

Customer :

so why cant i see it on it then? i just tried and it says the remote device or resource wont except the connection

p0llinate :

Are you on your network or neighbors? What browser?

Customer :

mine and IE

p0llinate :

Did you install the activex plug in?

p0llinate :

You need to put in your internal address, if you're on your network (192.168.1.105:8080 )

Customer :

i did that and i also checked on firefox and its not working

p0llinate :

It doesn't work directly from the browser, when you connect to the dvr, the dvr will provide a plugin that you have to install to view anything.

Customer :

can i view it from a diffent pc like one at work then if i go to 192.168.1.105:8080

p0llinate :

Yes, you should be able to (if they don't have any firewall blocks on this type of connection) and you'll still have to install the software/plugin. Though your phone should work from anywhere, even over cellular (it will just be slow to load images)

Customer :

ok on my phone i can see it via 3g but the port is 9000 and i can still see it

p0llinate :

It may be forwarding all ports to the router, if you put in a range (say 8080 to 9009)

Customer :

correction it was still on wifi

p0llinate :

Ok, go ahead and test from your neighbors wifi (or 3g). Just remember you need to use the 24. address

Customer :

no i set the port 8080 to itself and 9009

p0llinate :

Ok. It was likely just using the UPNP function to make the connection within the network then when you were on wifi.

Customer :

so if i go on safari on my phone and put it the 24 address with :8080 at the end i should see it correct?

p0llinate :

Yes you should (outside your network)

p0llinate :

Or you should at least get a page that says application manager and a blank image. (safari may not be able to run the plugin on the phone)

p0llinate :

But your app should work using this address.

Customer :

it working on 3g on my phone with the iphone app with the 24 address but the app on the pc wont let me log in now it says login failed

and if I go to it on IE it says the same thing

p0llinate :

This is probably just an issue with the plugin.

p0llinate :

You may need to update your browser, or it could be something wrong with the plugin, meaning a firmware issue with the dvr.

p0llinate :

The connection is working of course though since you can get in with the app.

Customer :

ok well i guess since its working on my iphone then its better than not how long before I have to check if my ip changed

p0llinate :

It can change any time. Sometimes it will last for weeks or months. Typically anytime the power goes out, you restart your modem, or any changes made to the ISP's network, it will change.

You could just not worry about it, and if you can't get in on the app suddenly, you know it's time to check for an updated IP

p0llinate :

Or get one of the email alert programs I mentioned (has to be running constantly on your computer to work)

p0llinate :

Of set up a dyndns account. Your router supports this. That would give you an actual website to use that will always be directed to your local IP. Like bobsdvr.dyndns.org, you'd use this instead of your 24....

Customer :

what program for the email?

p0llinate :

There are programs you can run on your computer that will monitor your internet side IP address and send you an email alert if it changes.

Customer :

ok do you know the name of them so i can get one

p0llinate :

There are several free ones online, just do a google search for IPnotifier or ip watcher (there are many others as well, they all work the same)

Customer :

ok thank you for all your help

p0llinate :

You are welcome.