Danh
Danh, System Administrator
Experience:  9 Years Systems Administrator
31918883

I have a new Lenovo ideapad and it wont connect to the internet,

I have a new Lenovo ideapad and it won't connect to the internet, but my old laptop will. The internet connection in my apartment is fairly weak, but shouldn't my new laptop have a better wireless card for detection?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Danh replied 1 year ago.

do you have a wireless network icon in the lower right corner of your desktop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it's the ascending bars with a red x over it, indicating it's not connected.

Expert:  Danh replied 1 year ago.

click on the icon and see if any wifi networks in range.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It says "No connections are available". I've tried moving closer to the source (I can't get right next to the router -- it's in my landlord's house next door) and it can't ever find a wireless connection. It's connected to the internet before -- I visited my brother's house with it and it connected to his, so I know it's capable... it's just not working here. Which is odd, since my 5-year-old laptop can.

Expert:  Danh replied 1 year ago.
goto start ... in the search bar, type network and sharing ... then click on network and sharing center that shows up in the results. Once that is up, click on change adapter settings ... right click on your wifi adapter and choose properties ... click on configure .. then click under advanced ... look under wireless mode and tell me what it's set to
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There are 4 different options after I clicked on the "change adapter settings".

The first is "Local area connection" (the subtext is "network cable unplugged, realtek PCIe FE Family Controller)

then "wireless network connection" (subtext is Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 22...)

"wireless network connection 2" (subtext is Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport A...)

and "wireless network connection 3" (subtext is the same as 2)

Which do I click on? I right clicked on the Local Area Connection and under advanced there wasn't an option for wireless. I right-clicked on the first "Wireless Network Connection" and under advanced and wireless mode, its value is 3.802.11b/g

The last two wireless network connections don't have wireless mode options. So I guess it was the first Wireless Network Connection. Haha, sorry, that was a lot of words.

Expert:  Danh replied 1 year ago.
Is there a b/g/n option? Do you know if your router is a wireless n router?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't see a b/g/n option. The only options I see under Wireless Mode are the values 3. 802.11 b/g, 2.802.11g, and 1.802.11b. I'm not sure if the router is a wireless n route. Is there a way to find out from this (my old laptop I'm typing from) computer?

Expert:  Danh replied 1 year ago.
do the same thing on the laptop you're working from ... see what mode it is set to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The only thing I could find that was related (there was no "wireless mode" to click on under the advanced tab) was IBSS Mode and it's set to 802.11b Only. It also has an option for "802.11b/g auto"

Expert:  Danh replied 1 year ago.
try setting yours to the same thing and then see if it detects any networks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nope, nothin'.

Expert:  Danh replied 1 year ago.

Ok...go ahead and set it back to the original settings. Sounds like you may have a weaker card than the one currently in there. Some just handle interference better than others. what's the signal strength on the one that works?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The signal strength is low. I'm just surprised this new computer can't connect but my old one can. How sad!

Expert:  Danh replied 1 year ago.

Yea..that happens. YOu can always see if the wireless driver is running at the latest version. Other than that, you can't do much else ... short of trying to get a USB wireless adapter and see if that works any better. They run about 25 bucks.

Danh, System Administrator
Experience: 9 Years Systems Administrator