Erik B.
Erik B., Network Admin
Experience:  8 Years Experience, MCSE, MCP

How do I change wireless password XXXXX a netgear WNR2000 rou

How do I change wireless password XXXXX a netgear WNR2000 router
Category: Networking
Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

Can you please try the directions below the change the wireless password XXXXX your router?

1. If possible, please connect your computer to the Netgear using an Ethernet cable. The reason for this is that you will be disconnected from the wireless network after changing the password.

2. CLICK HERE to visit the login page for the Netgear.

3. When prompted, type admin for the username and password for the password. These are default values and may not work on your router. If they don't please let me know.

4. When the configuration page for the router appears, click on Wireless Settings on the left.

5. In the middle pane, your wireless security method will be listed and underneath that your wireless key will be listed. That key is your password. You can change it and then click Apply.

6. PLEASE NOTE: all of your wireless computers and devices will now be disconnected from the network and will need to be rejoined.

Please let me know if you have trouble with the instructions or if you need assistance rejoining your devices and computers. Let me know if you get through it all OK as well; I will be here. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So far my kindle touch is connected to the wireless however it will not sync all my books I am working on my tablet now

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
OK good job! The Kindle may need to be rebooted to start syncing again. Keep me posted!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok rebooted the kindle still not syncing

Tablet has authentication problem on screen

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
OK are you entering the password XXXXX as you entered it on the router (capital letters, etc.)? What kind of tablet is it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes password XXXXX and the tablet is a lenovo ideatab? 7 inch

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
OK were these devices working before the password XXXXX?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The tablet was but the kindle was not and I am assuming I was not remembering the password XXXXX that is why I wanted to change it

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
Gotcha. OK the problem with the tablet is probably that the saved settings don't match the new settings. Can you try the following:

1. Look for the Windows 7 networking icon in the lower right hand corner of the screen. It will look like a row of bars or a monitor with a plug coming out of it.
  2. Click this icon and choose Open Network and Sharing Center.
  3. In the new window, click the link on the left that says Manage Wireless Networks.
  4. A list of 'remembered' networks will appear. You should see your network in this list, highlight it and click the Remove button.
  5. Close the list window.
  6. Click the networking icon again and you will see a list of available networks in your area.
  7. Click on your network’s name and then click the Connect button.
  8. Enter the password XXXXX found and click Connect again.
  9. At this point you should be connected, let me know if not!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

windows 7? on the computer or the tablet?

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry on the tablet. Is it not running Windows 7? Is it Vista or XP instead?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I really do not know I am helping my mother over the phone with your help as well she is trying to get back to the wifi settings on the tablets bare with me she is 70 years old lmao

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
LOL OK. Didn't realize we were relaying instructions! I am pretty sure it is just saved settings conflicting with the new ones, but the trick will be removing the saved settings...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can we do a backup and restore it is still coming up with the same authentication problem

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
No but we can change the password XXXXX to what it was on the Netgear. The tablet should then authenticate correctly. Since that wasn't the problem with the Kindle anyhow it should not be an issue to change the password XXXXX Just use the instructions from before and change the password XXXXX and let's see if the table connects again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok hold on

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
No problem, I'll be here!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OMG still getting an authenticating problem on tablet I live 1800 miles away from her might be best for her to just ship them to me for me to try and fix what do you think?

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
Ha yes it might be, is she sure she is typing the passwords in correctly? I know you can't be sure but these types of problems are almost always related to incorrectly entered passwords...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I know she swears she is but who really knows for sure. I will have her ship them to me and I willget them working with my wifi and she what happens here............. thank you so much for all your time it is much appreciated

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
Sure things really sorry we couldn't do more! Let me know if you need any help once you get them in your hands. Thank you.
Erik B., Network Admin
Experience: 8 Years Experience, MCSE, MCP