James, Sr. Network Administrator
Experience:  Highly experienced with wireless networks and wireless equipment, LAN and networking protocols
24111805

i have lost my wireless connection on a WNDR3400v2 n600 wireless

Customer Question

i have lost my wireless connection on a WNDR3400v2 n600 wireless dual band router
i have shut off and on and tried microsoft reapir with no lick
led's on front that are on - start at bottom 1-4 and the #4
what do i need to do to restart?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is Erik and I will be happy to assist you.

How are you connected to the Internet right now? Are you wired to the N600 router? Or are you plugged directly into your Internet provider's modem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi

router wired to comcast router and to p/c

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
OK can you do the following for me?

1. Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and press R to bring up the Run window.
  2. Type cmd and click OK.
  3. Type ipconfig /all and hit the Enter key.
  4. A bunch of data will be displayed. Right click anywhere on that screen and choose Select All. Then press the Enter key on your keyboard to copy all of the data.
  5. Paste your data into the reply to me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : lbcomputer
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
ernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-17-31-F0-A6-CD
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 19, 2012 2:23:00 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, August 20, 2012 2:23:00 PM

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : USB Wireless 802.11 b/g Adaptor
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-A5-AA-F0-93

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator>

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
Perfect, thank you. Can you tell me what brand of wireless adapter you have in that computer? If you can't that's OK, just let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
OK if you right click the wireless icon in the system tray near the clock on your computer (it should look like a single monitor with a red X right now) a small menu will appear. Click on View Available Wireless Networks. Do any networks appear? if not, is the window blank or is there a message?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

a wireless network appears

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
OK is it yours, or is it one that just says Netgear?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

just syas wireless nestwork security enabled (WPA2)

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
OK that is probably your network. If you click on it and click on Connect are you able to get onto it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I clicked connect and a login box came up I clicked ok teh icon in task bar advises "acquiring nextwork address" strength is low

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
OK and you are right next to the router right now, so the signal should be strong, correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no task bar message same and still searching

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
OK there may be something wrong with the wireless adapter in that case. You have already turned off the power to the WNDR3400 and then started it back up, correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

correct

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
OK the next thing we want to do then is simply unplug the wireless adapter from the back of the computer and then plug it back in. The wireless adapter should be plugged into a USB port either on the back or the front of the computer. Do you see it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no usb port connection is connected to the p/c by a yellow ethernet 3 plug i pulled that out of each end and reconnected eachtask bar message remains smae but strength keep changing is ot at excellent but laptop has no internet connection

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
OK are we working with two different computers here (the laptop and then another computer) or just one? Sorry for the confusion.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

we started with the hp pavilion slimline s7520n pc, comcast modem and netgear router

I turned on the laptop after we were at taskbar icon --laptop had a connectin to teh internet at startup and than lost it

the router has not regained it's signal, led for wireless connected it not lite up

task bar still acquring network address strength still fluctuating

servcieprovideer comcast was here yesterday and changed entire cable from street to house - were here due to lintermittent tel signal and internet signal

wireless netgear is mine not theirs

tel serivce out but i have been on teh internet from the pavilion

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
Ah I see. Thanks for clarifying all of that for me. It sounds like the Netgear may be faulty here. Is your telephone service through Comcast as well?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes tel and internet thru comcast but router mine fr bestbuy not serice providers - so my router itself is having a hardware / mechanical problem

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
Yes it looks like it, but let's confirm. We are going to perform a factory reset on the router to make sure it isn't a software or configuration error. Here is what I want you to do:

1. Press and hold the RESET button on the back of the Netgear down for 15 seconds, then release. You will probably need a paper clip to do this as the button is recessed (if the unit has an antenna, it will be next to that and on some new models the reset button is actually on the bottom of the router).
  2. After the router boots back up, plug your computer into one of the LAN ports on the back. Your computer may already be connected in this fashion. If this is so, please skip this step.
  3. Check to make sure you still have Internet access. If you do have Internet, please skip to step 9. If you do not have internet access, complete steps 4-8.
  4. Unplug the power to both the modem and the router. Let both devices sit for 10 minutes. This allows the cable modem to reset.
  5. Plug the modem back in first, waiting 60 seconds for it to sync.
  6. Plug the router back in, waiting 30 seconds for it to sync.
  7. Reboot your computer.
  8. At this point, with your computer plugged into the router and the router plugged into the Internet modem, you should be able to get on the Internet. If you can't please connect your computer directly to your Internet modem and come back to JustAnswer.com to let me know.
  9. Open your Internet browser and go to http://192.168.1.1.
  10. You should be prompted for a username and password. Type admin for the username and password for the password.
  11. You may be prompted to complete the Smart Wizard at this point. If you are then please complete it before continuing to step 12.
  12. Upon login, click on the Wireless Settings link on the left.
  13. Type a name for your network in the SSID box.
  14. Choose WPA-PSK for your security option.
  15. Type a password that you want to use to connect to your wireless network in the Passphrase box.
  16. Click Apply.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i typed admin and than password it won't except password as password and it went to a network genie download

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
OK you can download the network genie and use that software to configure it. However before you do that, did the wireless light come back on the front of the router?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry for delay - no led light not on

admin password is working within the network genie software

window opened is wireles settings with choices to -modify export or logout

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
You can modify them and try setting up a new network, but with the LED light light still out I don't think you will be able to connect to it. Go ahead and give it a try to make sure. Change the network name to something unique and then see if you can connect to that new network name on the laptop. Keep me posted!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok i modified and renamed task bar on p/c is connected with very good strength

wireless led still out

laptop can not connect or find wireless connection

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
OK on the PC can you do this one more time for me? This will tell me if it is connected wirelessly.

2. Type cmd and click OK.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Windows IP Configuration

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
ernet NIC
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 19, 2012 4:10:17 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, August 20, 2012 4:10:17 PM

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 19, 2012 4:34:22 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, August 20, 2012 4:34:22 PM

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
Excellent, ok yes it is connected to the wireless now, so let's concentrate on the laptop. Is it running Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows XP?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

w7 home premium

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
OK do this for me on that laptop:

1. Look for the Windows 7 networking icon in the lower right hand corner of the screen. It will look like a row of bars or a monitor with a plug coming out of it.
  2. Click this icon and choose Open Network and Sharing Center.
  3. In the new window, click the link on the left that says Manage Wireless Networks.
  4. A list of 'remembered' networks will appear. You should see your OLD network in this list, highlight it and click the Remove button. If you do not see your old network, simply move on to step 5.
  5. Close the list window.
  6. Click the networking icon again and you will see a list of available networks in your area.
  7. Click on your network’s name and then click the Connect button.
  8. Enter the password you found and click Connect again.
  9. At this point you should be connected, let me know if not!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it is not connected i sdwn adn restarte dit looked for connection

led lite still off on router

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
Does the laptop even see the wireless network in its list of available networks? Does it see any networks?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it saw the old i remove dit and it sees the new name it has to be the hardware u agree?

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
Well the problem with that is that the desktop is now working OK. What exactly happened when you clicked on the new name and clicked on Connect?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it connected adn the task bar upgraded to connected - mesage is the same

Unfortunateley I have run out of time on this task. what are my options since i must log off now

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
We can continue at another time, but I would need to know what the message says? If it says you are now connected then you should have Internet. What message are you getting? If you give that to me real quick I can send you instructions that you can refer to later.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

on the laptop no connection to internet with task bar wireless on not connected

pc is connected to wireless and internet

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
OK I am sorry I was confused by your last message where you stated it upgraded to connected.

Tell you what, when you have some time just come back to www.justanswer.com and we can continue working on this. I don't think the router is defective since the desktop connected just fine to it, but we need to continue troubleshooting the laptop to figure out what is going on with it. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank-you Erik for your assistance today and understanding I am out of time!

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
Of course! Look forwared to working with you again soon. Thanks!