Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Networking expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

My daughter has been blocked by movie star planet on the basis

My daughter has been blocked by movie star planet on the basis that the IP address she uses has become associated with several other user accounts who have infringed MSP rules. I've contacted MSP and they have implied that my daughter, who is impeccably behaved via her two formal accounts, created alternates to 'test' the system and have fun. I don't believe my daughter would do this and there is no way she would have used the language and innuendo that the banned accounts have used (she isn't even aware of most of it as she is only 11). MSP have not offered an alternative explanation and maintain it must be her because of the IP address and the fact some blocked users have used exactly the same password. They have instructed me to change my public IP address (linksys router). My ISP (Virgin media) have said that they cannot do this which I find incredible. I really don't know what to do as my daughter loves MSP and yet I'm concerned with this incident and I don’t understand how other users via other computers could use our IP address. I refuse to accept this could be my daughter but is there a technical explanation for all of this? Fyi our home network is screened by windows live family safety and my daughter cannot access inappropriate websites and I have Norton security. One more point, I’m not naive, I realise parents can be in denial about their daughter’s behaviour, but there is just no way she can be responsible for this, she doesn’t possess the vocabulary or mindset (which is more like a much older teen) and is very naive. This is so worrying, PLEASE help.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

I am very sorry to hear about the situation you are in. I am going to try and explain some networking information to you so you understand a bit better.

First, you do not change your public IP in your router. Your public IP is issued from your ISP to your router. Your router issues internal IP addresses to your computers but the IP address that is showing from your location IS issued by your ISP.

There are a couple of ways for you to change this yourself, you could use a number of different proxy websites which would allow you to connect from a different IP address.

There are also software solutions as well, here is a 2 minute tutorial on changing your public IP in order to get around a ban, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84WSZLP9WBI

All of that said, how did this happen in the first place? You are asking if it is technically possible for someone to appear to be located at your IP address, the answer would be yes. All the person would have to do is connect to your wireless network in your home. Whatever they did online would appear to come from your public IP.

I guess the question would then be, does your daughter have any friends that are neighbors perhaps and would maybe want to be mean to her? Hacking like this is not a random occurrence. Hacking is also not super easy and takes technical know how. So if someone is doing this to her I would assume they know her and are doing it on purpose. I can't see a random stranger taking the time to hack your local network to get a girl banned from a website.

Let me know if you think there is any chance someone close to her would maybe be mad and do something like this?

Also please feel free to ask me follow up networking questions if there is anything you do not understand, I am here to help.

Thank You
-Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your response. I understand that my public IP in my router can be changed by DHCP release and renew so that is not the issue. My router is WPA2 protected and passphrase protected. In addition computers without listed MAC address are filtered out. So a neighbour breaking into the system seems unlikely, especially a friend. My daughter has denied doing this and frankly I'd be flabbergasted if she has! Which is why I am seeking an alternative explanation. If it is her she won't go on MSP for avery long time if ever. And she adores the website, so I need to be certain. She has a friend bear by but it is extremely unlikely her friend would want to do this, she is a genuine friend.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.

That is good that you have security set up and mac filtering. You may want to check with your ISP and ask if you have a dynamic or static IP. For example in my home I have an upgraded plan which gives me a static IP that never changes so if I wanted to run a server from my home I could.

Most ISPs even when not static and using dynamic IPs will issue you the same IP again and again. Think how much crime could occur if you could simply change your public IP whenever you wants by rebooting your modem/router.

If you reboot your modem it will grab an IP from your ISP and likely it will be the same one you have had. I used to work for an ISP and would get calls from people looking to change it because of bans from websites and it is not something that could be done.

Now I do not know your daughter and cannot say what she may or may not have done, I do know networking. The only thing I can think of is that someone used a computer in your home to create the account that was banned.

Something important to note about the TCP/IP protocol(used on the internet) two of the same IP cannot exist on a network. This is why ISPs have ranges of IP addresses they are allowed to issue to users. This means that the connection came from your network somehow. How exactly I cannot say but the possibility include what I had said such as someone accessing your network, or a friend or someone else in the home creating the account.

If you need further help or wish to discuss more please click reply to expert to let me know.

Thank You
-Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have a dynamic IP address but I'm not sure I want tochange it now, especially if my daughter is guilty. Everything points to my daughter doing this, sigh! There is no possibility of anyone else in the home doing this. The only other plausible explanation is that she did it with a friend from her computer,but she is still implicated. Do you think hacking my network is unlikely, how unlikely?

I just can't believe it, she is only 11 and the appalling language used by the numerous banned accounts was advanced ( mid to late teen). I didn't think she was aware of most of the terms and innuendo used.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
I think that hacking of this nature would be a personal attack. I highly doubt your 11 year old daughter would know anyone with the technical know how to do such a thing. The only thing I can think is she let someone use the computer or did it on her own.

One thing you may want to consider is using a software to monitor her computer use and behavior. I am not talking about parental controls but a software to log the key strokes so you can see what she is typing. Something like this for example:
http://www.webwatchernow.com

The reason is, if she did act inappropriate on that website she may be doing other inappropriate things online or you could see the type of language she is using on other sites or in chats.

I know this must be tough to think that your daughter could use language like that and hopefully she did not. It is better I think to find out exactly what she is doing online because ultimately it is your internet connection and you are responsible.

I remember about 2 years ago an 11 year old posted a bunch of inappropriate videos on youtube and other sites, swearing and acting foolish. This lead to the family being harassed by the anonymous internet community, it was bad and ended up being on the news. Here is an article about it :
http://gawker.com/5589103/how-the-internet-beat-up-an-11+year+old-girl

I suggest you use a keylogger to make sure you know if she or her friends are doing anything inappropriate because you will want to nip that in the bud if they are. As you can see above and I am sure you know the internet can be a very nasty place and kids often do not realize the repercussions that can come from their online behavior and the parents pay a huge price.

I hope this helps you, again I am here if you need anything else.
Thank You
-Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's great advice, I didn't know about the key logger. Presumably all I have to do is download the software to her laptop? Incidentally I forgot to mention that I also have family safety and this has registered a huge number of hits for MSP, over 5,000 in a week before being blocked, which I thought suspicious. MSP assures me this is due to their flash player. Could you comment.

Furthermore all of this has caused me to reflect on security and identity theft and confidentiality. I thought I had done more than enough, especially compared with many. What do you think of a VPN such as hotspotshield to safeguard security. Are the VPN's themselves safe and reliable?

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Yes a keylogger is pretty straight forward and they are becoming more common for parents to use which in turn is making the software companies make them easier than ever to use.

I have never used family safety myself so I am not sure what they mean by the term "hits". My best guess is it is monitoring traffic to that website and 5000 thousand was the amount of requests. Please keep in mind a request from a website does not mean just visiting. Every page viewed on the website is transferred to your computer to be loaded by your browser. Generally in terms of web stats hits mean downloaded objects from a website. This counts all of the images from every page for example so high hit numbers are not uncommon. I would agree that it could be from their flash player and data transferred.

From what you have told me it sounds like you have good security in place for a home network.

A VPN is great but I don't see a use for it like you are describing. A proper use for VPN would be to connect to your network shares in your offices internal network for example. You could set one up to access your home network from a remote location securely but that is something totally different.

I really think in your situation your best bet is to monitor her activity. It is incredibly unlikely that your network was hacked and I would hate to see you spend time and money adding commercial layers of security to your home network because of it. In IT/Networking when troubleshooting an issue you look at the most simple thing first and completely rule it out before continuing.

The most likely thing here is your daughter or a friend did it. It could totally be a friend who was over and convinced your daughter to go along with this type of behavior, you know how kids can be. In my professional and personal opinion I strongly do not think you were hacked but someone did what that website has told you from your home.

Thanks
-Chris
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience: Certified Networking expert with over 10 years experience.