Erik B.
Erik B., Network Admin
Experience:  8 Years Experience, MCSE, MCP
18224842

I have a Verizon Jetpack and want to get internet connection

I have a Verizon Jetpack and want to get internet connection on my desktop computer (Dell) running Windows 7. I purchased a Linksys E-Series Router. Do you have step by step instructions to follow to get it set up? Thanks. Pat

When can I expect a response?

Category: Networking
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome to justanswer, a pay site for expert technical help. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today. This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. When we are finished, you’ll rate my answer to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer. My goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_______________________

p0llinate :

Actually, the router isn't necessary here.

p0llinate :

The jetpack is a wifi hotspot/router already, so the linksys router is redundant.

p0llinate :

What you'll need, if your desktop doesn't have it built in already, is a wifi adapter. These can be a pci card installed permanently in the computer, or more simply a usb adapter that just plugs in.

p0llinate :

Here is an example of an adapter, if you need one:

p0llinate :

You just plug it into your computer, follow the prompts (windows should install automatically) then go to your network/sharing center, select the network broadcast by the jetpack, enter the password (should be a pin/key printed on a sticker on the jet pack), and you'll be connected to the internet via the jetpack.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How can I check my computer to see if I have a built in adapter??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I have been working on this since 9:30 this morning and need my latest question answered. I could not seem to get my question to go thru when person was on chat.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to continue assisting you.

First allow me to apologize for the long wait. To fine out if you have a built in adapter please do the following:

1. Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and press the R key. This will open the Run window.
  2. Type devmgmt.msc and click OK. This will open the Device Manager.
  3. Click the + or triangle next to network adapters. Tell me exactly what is listed below that heading.

I will be here all evening, let me know when you get a chance. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Broadcom Netlink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
OK that means that you do not have a built in wireless adapter, only wired. So to connect to the JetPack you will want to return the E series router that you purchased and instead purchase a wireless adapter for your desktop. There are a ton of different wireless adapters, but any of them should work. I am partial to the Linksys brand, and they make a nice adapter:

CLICK HERE

The adapter will come with a CD. You just insert the CD into your desktop, run the software when it pops up, and then insert the adapter into any USB port at the end. The new adapter will allow you to connect to the JetPack. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is your experience with using a jetpack for desktop computer? I am trying to eliminate one internet charge by using this . Don't want to cancel my WildBlue until I know the Jetpack will work as well.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
The JetPack is actually pretty reliable from what I have seen. I have only setup two of them so far, but both have worked rather well. I set one up with four different computers (3 laptops and a desktop) and they all worked great. Nothing is as good as a wired Internet connection (DSL, cable, etc.) but it sounds like that isn't possible for you in your location.

If I were you I would get the wireless adapter for the desktop, make sure it works well with the JetPack, and then cancel Wildblue. I think you will find the speeds with the JetPack are actaully better in a lot of cases than they are with WildBlue as well.

Please let me know if you need any further clarification by clicking the Reply to Expert link. If you are satisfied with the info I provided please take a moment to rate my service by clicking the appropriate smiley face. Thanks so much!
Erik B., Network Admin
Experience: 8 Years Experience, MCSE, MCP