Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Networking expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

I just got broadband Internet and a Cisco DPC3008 modem and

I just got broadband Internet and a Cisco DPC3008 modem and an E900 N300 wireless router. Both are hooked up correctly and the wifi network is setup. Only problem is it won't connect to the Internet. Any help would be appreciated.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble.

Did you recently get the internet service, who is your internet service provider?

Was this modem working at any point in time?

Please let me know so I can further assist.

Thank You
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Comcast....just installed today.

Has not worked at all.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Ok I see.

Did comcast provide this modem or did you buy it yourself?

Was a technician at your home and confirmed you are getting connection before they left?

Can you get online when you have the computer connected directly to this modem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I bought it at the time I signed up for Comcast.

The tech was here. He couldn't wait to get out of here.

I just got my LT to connect with it wired directly to the modem, but I had to run some repair utility first.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Ok that is good , so it means they did actually turn on your connection. I used to work for their competition and many times with a new set up something will go wrong on the ISPs end.

So now that we know the internet does work we can configure the router.

First unplug the modem and router and reconnect everything.

Now, and this is important, plug only the modem in, you need to allow it a good 2 minutes to fully boot. Next plug the router in and allow that 2 minutes to full boot.

Once finished see if you can connect your computer to the router with a cable if you have one, if not try the wireless.

While you are doing that I will type up further instructions if we need them.

Please let me know how it does.

Thank You
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I seem to be having a connection problem again. The local area connection status shows a connection is enabled with a speed of 100 Mbps. Sent 737,479 and received 16,091,689 bytes. Neither UE or Mozilla working.

I ran the connection adapter repair again, but nothing this time.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Ok now we need to see if the router and the modem are speaking to each other.

I made you a video to walk you through the steps below above please click the link below to watch it.
http://screencast.com/t/ZYkGk10K

Click the following link to access the routers configuration page
192.168.1.1

When prompted for user name and password XXXXX admin for both.

On the first page make sure it is set to Automatic configuration DHCP

Next click on status on the top right menu, make sure that the following are filled in:
Connection Type: Automatic Configuration - DHCP
Internet IP Address:
Subnet Mask:
Default Gateway:
DNS1:
DNS2:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Won't accept admin
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Do you know if you changed the password XXXXX you ran the CD?

This could be why because by default it should be username:admin password:admin
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didn't change anything
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
You are typing it in all lower case letters correct?

If you ran set up with the CD it may have asked you to create a password.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Using lower case. I didn't create a password. The only ow I have is the one assigned, and I tried admin and that pw too.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
The computer is connected to the router with a wire when you are doing this correct? I want to make sure it is not trying to log into the modem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I plug into the router, I can't connect to the Internet. How I'm I going to get to that link? When I was trying it before, I was connected through my DSL modem. That's how I'm talking to you now on my IPad. My LT is now connected to the router and I can't connect.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
When you follow my steps the computer will be need to be connected to the router. That link is NOT on the internet, the link goes to your routers configuration page which looks and operates like a website but is actually in your router.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Got it. All numbers are there. Auto Config-DHCP there. dHCP server enabled.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Excellent, so the router does seem to have connection to the modem so now we need to look at the computer.

Restart the computer please while it is connected to the router,

Once it finishes see if you can get online if you cannot do the following

Click start on the bottom left and in the search box above start (if using windows xp choose run) and type cmd and press enter.

A black box will come up.

Next type ipconfig /all and press enter

Please look for ethernet adapter local area connection and tell me what it says next to
ip address
default gateway
dhcp enabled

graphic
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.

I just wanted to let you know I will be going offline for the night. I am going to open your question up so one of my colleagues can continue to help you. I will check in on you in the morning and if you still need help I will continue.

Thank You
-Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am able to Google images, but not open websites. I can go on Facebook and access other people's pages. I can go on YouTube and download video. Cannot get on any websites.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
So it sounds to me that as far as your connection goes, you have set that up.

This is your laptop where you are unable to get to websites but are able to get to facebook? or is it your ipad?

Can you please tell me which version of windows you are using you are using on the laptop, is it windows xp, vista , or windows 7?

I will be back online at around 10:30 am EST to reply to you.

Thank You
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Facebook on IPad. Windows Vista. All I can connect to on the IPad is Google, but just downloading images. I can download YouTube videos on IPad. Can't connect to Internet at all on LT.

The network map on the LT shows that it is connected to the Internet.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Were you able to do this on the laptop?

Click start on the bottom left and in the search box above start and type cmd and press enter.

A black box will come up.

Next type ipconfig /all and press enter

ip address
default gateway
dhcp enabled

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I finally got the internet to connect by calling Comcast. Turned out that they had not processed the order yet. However, while wireless speed are good (at least 19 Mb/s on my laptop), they are very slow (0.15 Mb/s) on my Ipad. I tried the Ipad at my son's house where he had Comcast and a wireless modem. The download speed for the IPad there was 18-19 Mb/s. All of which leads me to believe there is some issue with my Cisco router and the IPad. It is an IPad 2.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.

One of the first things we checked was that you did have service. You had told me that you could connect when connected directly to the modem, perhaps it was a miscommunication.

At any rate I highly doubt if you are getting good speeds wirelessly on the laptop that the ipad would connect slower.

The first thing you need to check and positive of is that you are connected to the correct wireless network on your ipad. It almost sounds like it may be connected to a wireless network that is out of range.

Take the ipad over to the router, Tap on the Settings icon, Tap on the Wi-Fi category to get to the screen where you will connect to a wireless network. Next switch wifi to OFF and then switch it to ON. Now you should see a list of available wireless networks. Choose your which should have the strongest signal and see if the connection is any better.

Thank You
-Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Everything done. Same result. Download speed still less than 1Mbp sec. Can this be some incompatibility between the router and the IPad?
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Yes it could be, but issues like that are pretty rare. What are you using for testing the speed? Also how is the internet on the Ipad?

Is it noticeably slow?
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
I just had another idea for you. We are going to change a setting in the router so you will need to log into it with the instructions I gave you above.

Once logged in select Applications & Gaming -->QoS

Change WMM support to Disabled, save and reboot both the router and the IPad.
It should look like this:
graphic

Please let me know how it goes. I think this may be the reason.
-Chris
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience: Certified Networking expert with over 10 years experience.