itmichael
itmichael, Networking Engineer
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Professional

I cannot get my laptop to access the web thru my netgear wireless

I cannot get my laptop to access the web thru my netgear wireless router. It tells me it is connected to the router, but when I try to access the web it will not connect. have made sure my work offline button is not checked and it still will not connect. I'm told it is an Ip address problem
Category: Networking
Expert:  itmichael replied 2 years ago.

itmichael :

Instructions

• 1

Turn off all computers, laptops and video game consoles that are using the Internet connection through the modem and router. Unplug the power cords from the modem and the wireless router.

• 2

Wait 30 seconds and plug the power cord into the modem. The modem will start up and the indicator lights will begin to flicker. Wait for the lights to remain steady.

• 3

Plug the power cord into the wireless router. The indicator lights will flicker as it establishes a connection to the modem. When the lights are steady, the Internet connection is reset.

• 4

Turn on the computers that are using the router. Allow each one to boot to the desktop. The computers will automatically connect to the Internet unless you have disabled that feature. If you have, click on the four step-like bars in the task bar menu at the bottom of the screen. Click "Connect" to establish the computer's Internet connection.

• 5

Turn on the other devices, such as video game consoles, that are also using the wireless router. Each one will automatically establish a connection.

Read more: How to Reset a High-Speed Internet Modem with a Wireless Router | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2178176_highspeed-internet-modem-wireless-router.html#ixzz21Svm5tOj

itmichael :

This could be of help

itmichael :

sounds like you just need to reboot router and cable modem

JACUSTOMER-o1x3s5bg- :

I'm sure I have done this but will do it again and see. In order to do this I will need to disconnect my laptop, which I'm using now and unplug the ethernet cable so I can try it wireless again. I will keep it on wireless and come back to you from my main PC.

itmichael :

OK, sounds good

JACUSTOMER-o1x3s5bg- :

I tried all you suggested. No Change. At first the laptop, showed connected to router with limited access. After trying two or three times to connect to the web abd failing it showed that I was connected to my wireless router but I still cannot access the web. All other items are connecting fine. When I take my laptop to any hotel etc. with wireless, it connects no problem. It's only my home wireless that it will not connect properly to. I contacted Netgear and they say it's an IP Adress issue, that my laptop needs the ip settings set. But that doesn't make sense to me.

itmichael :

no it really does not... especially if it working elsewhere...

itmichael :

when you are connected to the wifi point, can you go to the address 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

itmichael :

that will usually allow you to log into router

itmichael :

and then maybe we can take a look at the settings

itmichael :

I think your router is not getting internet... but you still should be able to connect to just the router...

itmichael :

also to veify internet can you wire into router with a cable, and if so, does that get you to internet?

JACUSTOMER-o1x3s5bg- :

All other wireless devices I have tried, will connect thru the router to the internet, no problem at all. If I connect a cable from my laptop to the router then I also can connect to the iternet. It is only when I try to connect wireless with my laptop that I cannot. How do I look for the Ip addresses you mentioned??

JACUSTOMER-o1x3s5bg- :

I will check back tomorrow morning for any new ideas.

itmichael :

Well depending on your router, Netgear, or Linksys, it should be 192.168.1.1 usually

itmichael :

I think I can maybe remote in to the laptop to help, but it will need to be wired into router, and then I can see what issues you might be having... if you go to www.computer-networking-servcies.com there is a link on there, asking for a 6 digit code, when you are ready, and have a few moments, I will give you that number, and maybe I can have a better Idea what is going on. Also, did this use to work on THIS laptop. or have you always had a problem with this laptop and this router?

JACUSTOMER-o1x3s5bg- :

I am wired to the router and on line now

JACUSTOMER-o1x3s5bg- :

I have gone to the computer services website you gave me, there are tons of sites with locations everywhere. I will need to know the exact one you are on. I will be out doing yard work. If you come on line my wife will let me know, so we can continue. My router is Netgear

JACUSTOMER-o1x3s5bg- :

I think you are on Computer Networking Services of Toledo.............................Yes???

JACUSTOMER-o1x3s5bg- :

It's coming up on 4PM here. Looks like we did not make a connection today. I am home for only a couple of hours tomorrow morning, then out all day and evening. If we cannot connect tomorrow morning it will have to be Thursday. I am home all day on Thursday. Is there a number I can call to co-ordinate with you?? My number here is XXX-XXX-XXXX, My name isXXXXX would really like to get this resolved this weak if possible.

Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am on line now

Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need to get Michael Bruhl to connect with me and complete the fix, if possible. Is anyone there??
Expert:  itmichael replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Are you ready... Lets do this (Edited by Moderator)
Expert:  itmichael replied 2 years ago.
207299 is connection code... top right of page
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Michael, I am ready. What ddo you want me to do??
Expert:  itmichael replied 2 years ago.
please make sure your laptop is online with a cable and go to computer-networking-services.com

then at the top right it will as for your connection code, please enter 838589

It that point it might as you to run something, this will help me diagnose your router settings...'

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay, I will do that now

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Michael

I went to that site. There are tons of options on tht site, different companies etc etc. I tried one andd entered the code. It said Not validd. I need an exact website location for your services?? If you go on the web to the servic you gve m you will see what I mean.

Expert:  itmichael replied 2 years ago.
(Edited by Moderator) at the top right corner, it says connect to technician, and that is where you enter the code.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did that. It says code does not exist

Expert:  itmichael replied 2 years ago.
it may have expired try 322202
Expert:  itmichael replied 2 years ago.
Updated drivers on wireless card and made some changes on router. All wireless devices are now connected.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Michael

I see that HOMEWIFI is UNSECURED. ???

Expert:  itmichael replied 2 years ago.
because of that Atheros card in your laptop, the model of that netgear is notorious for having issues connecting to that model. Technically if someone came within 150 of the Access Point they could share your internet connection, that does not mean viruses, or stolen files will be an issue whatsoever. I can turn back on security, but without a different card in that one laptop, you will continue to have issues. What you might be able to do, is grab a cheap USB wireless card for the laptop, and then run your internet through that. If you really want a password XXXXX your WIFI Point.
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
Here is an article with similar issues as you are having.

I'm having the same issue as you.
I have the Netgear WNDR3700 wireless router.
I also have several wireless devices: 3 laptops, 2 XBox 360's (with G and N network adapters) and several iPhones several other wired network devices (media player, NAS, 2 desktop PC's...etc).

The laptops have the following wireless network adapters:
DELL: Intel PRO Wireless 3945ABG
Samsung: Atheros AR9285 Wireless
Gateway: Atheros AR5B91 Wireless

The DELL laptop with the Intel wireless adapter works perfectly with the Netgear routher. The two other laptops (both from different manufacturers but both with an Atheros wireless adapter) DO NOT work together with the Netgear router. I use the Samsung laptop at work wirelessly and I have no problems there but I could only guess as to what kind of routers they use in the offices there.

All other wireless devices work fine, but the strange thing is that the atheros adapter works on other networks, so I guess it is an issue of miscommunication between these two vendors.

I've given up on trying to get the Atheros to communicate to the Netgear routers, instead I bought a cheap USB WiFi dongle that seems to work fine and disabled the Atheros WiFi adapter while I am at home.

I hope you have better luck with your problem than I did.
itmichael, Networking Engineer
Experience: Microsoft Certified Professional
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Michael

Thanks. As long as I don't need to worry about viruses, or people accessing my computer, I'm good with that.

Thanks Again

Garry