bbl242003
bbl242003, Network Architect
Experience:  BA, AND AA in Network + Security + and A+ certified through Comptia International Recognized

Unable to load videos from Netflix using an RCA media player,

Unable to load videos from Netflix using an RCA media player, internet connection is good, activation code recognized, streaming account with Netflix active and in good standing, can stream with no buffering on iPad.
Category: Networking
Expert:  bbl242003 replied 2 years ago.

bbl242003 :

welcome, you have been unable to load videos from netflix, using rca media player ONLY on the trinitron , or have you tried a different tv?

Customer:

only the Trinitron which is my only TV

bbl242003 :

thanks for responding, im attempting to isolate where the error is occurring. do you have another player other than the rca media player that we may use to log into your netflix account to see if it will stream without problems?

Customer:

I have returned the Roku and Sony players as they were unable to connect to the internet. The RCA player appears to function correctly as it recognizes my router network name and WPS key and indicates a good connection with the internet.

bbl242003 :

can you log into your netflix account from the computer that your talking to me on? go ahead and try, and open up a open to stream it

bbl242003 :
bbl242003 :

open a movie

Customer:

OK, I have done that.

Customer:

movie plays

bbl242003 :

as you already determined TWICE, theres nothing wrong with your netflix account, great work, now we need to troubleshoot your rca media player, take a look at the back side of it, do you see a spot to plug in a cat 5 or ethernet cable?

Customer:

Yes, ethernet capable

bbl242003 :

plug a cable in directly then the other end into your network router, "this is only a test"

bbl242003 :
Customer:

My RCA player and TV are 33 feet from my router in another room of the house

Customer:

Plus I do not have an ethernet cable

bbl242003 :

ouch, okay, can you set your rca player back to factory defaults? WARNING, it will erase all your settings on it

Customer:

I have done that with the same result

bbl242003 :

WOW, one of two things comes to mind. 1. defective player, or 2. your router is not allowing the netflix movies to stream, do you get any error codes or messages when trying to stream movies?

Customer:

No messages, just "loading" but nothing happens

bbl242003 :

BUT only netflix has the issue correct? no other apps?

Customer:

I was able to connect to YouTube with some success, no menus

bbl242003 :

how old is the rca media player?

bbl242003 :
Customer:

Just bought it from Target two days ago. Date on box 2012. ModelDSB778W.

bbl242003 :

given the age, I do not believe the issue lays with the device, i believe it is with your bandwidth from the router in your network, the only real way to check for sure, would be to get an extra long ethernet cable and run it from the player to the router, or move the tv andplayer close to the router. you can pickup a 100; ethernet cable from a local computer store for $20 for the test and then return it when your done. Its an affordable option to fix this ongoing issue with the player

Customer:

OK. I'll consider that. Thanks for your help.

bbl242003 :

we are not done yet, i would like to continue troubleshooting this until we have a solid solution . either way we will not know until we have that cable. At my personal residence, i had to run cable to every room thru the attic because of problems like these, I just hate paying for a service when it only works half the time!!! fixed everyones frustration but boy did i sweat like crazy in the attic!!!

bbl242003 :

practically speaking, that player is designed to pickup your wifi signal from your router as long as you have it configured correctly,

bbl242003 :

but the closer the player is to the router, the better shape you will be in, in terms of service with netflix

bbl242003 :

its much easier to move the router up beside the tv with a single coax cable for your internet, assuming you have cable internet speeds and setup

Customer:

Hard wiring to get this to work is not a solution for me. I do realize it would be a test. I can stream Netflix on my iPad instantly from well over 50 feet from the router though I prefer to watch movies on a larger screen.

bbl242003 :

i hear you, the cable is "only" a test! but the ipad factors goes to show that your router is functioning just fine , the issue is the communication between the rca player and the router , big difference when comparing an ipad to your router, because ipads have "state of the art" integrated wifi , i guess we will know more when the ethernet cable is available but understand we will have plenty other things to try to reach a solid solution

once the cable is in place

Customer:

I'll keep you posted regarding the cable idea, thanks.

bbl242003 :

thank you

Customer: Have decided not to pursue further. Have returned the RCA player to the retailer.
bbl242003, Network Architect
Experience: BA, AND AA in Network + Security + and A+ certified through Comptia International Recognized