dawber39
dawber39, Network Administrator
Experience:  8 Years Netwrok administrator - Associates in Computer Information Systems
2081707

I can no longer get wireless internet access through my netgear

I can no longer get wireless internet access through my netgear wall-plugged bridge XE102. How can I tell if it is the bridge or another problem? Thanks!
Category: Networking
Expert:  dawber39 replied 2 years ago.

dawber39 :

Hi My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help you with this

dawber39 :

Have you tried restarting your router and the bridge in that order?

dawber39 :

Lets see if you are pulling an IP address... hit the start button, and in the search box directly above the start button type CMD

Expert:  dawber39 replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  dawber39 replied 2 years ago.
After typing cmd - a command prompt window will open - at the prompt type ipconfig - so we can see if you are pulling an IP address - report that info back here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have tried to restart the router and bridge in that order. I cmd but there is no ip address that came up. This was a floor model and out says the user is hhgreg.
Expert:  dawber39 replied 2 years ago.
Okay

So you have not connected as of yet? Lets take a look at the network adapters.

Hit start - then Control Panel - then Network and Sharing Center.

When the window comes up - on the left you will see change adapter settings. Select that - then when that window opens up make sure none of them say "Disabled" - let me know - and keep that window open
Expert:  dawber39 replied 2 years ago.
I will be standing by for at least 30 minutes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It says unidentified network.
Expert:  dawber39 replied 2 years ago.
Then it is connected but you are not getting through... Okay can you try that Ipconfig one more time form the command prompt?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok got it. What number exactly are you looking for? Auto configuration 1pv4 address?
Expert:  dawber39 replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok it is 169.254.85.221
Expert:  dawber39 replied 2 years ago.
Okay - you are not getting out - but it sees the network. so we are going to reset the network adapter

This is what I would you to do – hit start, and right click Computer and select Properties. Over on the left at the top, you will see Device Manager. Then you will see Network Adapters Expand that by clicking the plus sign to the left of it. You will see your wireless adapter there- right click it, and select Uninstall - then at the top of the Device manager - you will see the Action menu - click that and select Scan for hardware changes. It will re-install the adapter - then try the Ipconfig again - let me know

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is nothing that says wireless adapter. Is it the same as network adapter ? If so , when I right click it there is no uninstall option
Expert:  dawber39 replied 2 years ago.
You should see the wireless under Network Adapters. You have to expand it by clicking the little plust sign to the left of Network Adapters or rather expand it by clicking the little triangle
Expert:  dawber39 replied 2 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok please see last chat
Expert:  dawber39 replied 2 years ago.
You have the same number?
Expert:  dawber39 replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry - you have no Wireless adapter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Now there is no wireless adapter and no ip address button
Expert:  dawber39 replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry - IP address button??

Were you told that this machine has wireless capabilities?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. But it had network adapter under device manager until I uninstalled the athenos now it doesn't have it anymore. Also there was an ip address in. the ip config and now it's not there anymore
Expert:  dawber39 replied 2 years ago.
You have to re-install it:

at the top of the Device manager - you will see the Action menu - click that and select Scan for hardware changes. It will re-install the adapter - then try the Ipconfig again - let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I got all the info back when I repeated the process but it did not uninstall the athenos
Expert:  dawber39 replied 2 years ago.
The athenos is the "wireless"?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The one that I was trying to uninstall. I have a d-link that I need connect to. That must have be en one that the floor model was connected to
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I need to check the box delete the driver soft ware for this device when uninstalling the adapter because it is not checked
Expert:  dawber39 replied 2 years ago.
No!! I think you are misunderstanding - the Athenos is the wireless adapter in your computer. Not something that it was connected to at the store. What you see in the device manager - is installed on your PC. Athenos is a brand name of Network adapters - I am just trying top clarify what you see.

If you right click the Athenos adapter in the Device Manager - you can select to un-install it. But you need to re-install it as I instructed above. If it does not re-install - then there is something wrong with it. I have to run out for a bit - but if you haven't yet - you should try expanding Network Adapters in the Device Manager - and right clicking Athenos-and uninstalling it. Then do the Scan for Hardware Changes from the action menu. If you still have the same problem (an IP address that begins with 169.254...) after completing that - then there is something wrong with your adapter, and you should bring it back to the store where you bought it (HHGREGG). I will be back in a little while - and if you are still having trouble - we can pick it up there.
Expert:  dawber39 replied 2 years ago.
The IP address of 169.254... indicates that the there is something corrupt with the Network adapter. At times it can be as simple as resetting it as we are attempting - but other times when it fails it will return that Ip address or it will not work at all - I will be back
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you. I am still having the same problem so I will wait for you to come back online.
Expert:  dawber39 replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jacki (did I spell that correctly?)

Did you uininstall the Athenos network adapter?

When you expand the Network Adapters in the Device Manager - tell me what you see in that particular section. What are the devices listed under there - please be specific - thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it possible to resume this in the morning?
Expert:  dawber39 replied 2 years ago.
Yes - I can work with you in morning. We can go back and forth - there is no need for you to answer right away. I will be on at 8 AM EST- and I will gone for about two hours starting at 9:15
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok great! Should I just send a message to you?
Expert:  dawber39 replied 2 years ago.
Just reply to this and I will see it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Richard, what I see under network adapters is athenos ar8152/8158 pci-e fast ethernet controller (ndis 6.20) .
Expert:  dawber39 replied 2 years ago.
You do not see any thing that says Wi-Fi or wireless?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Expert:  dawber39 replied 2 years ago.
Then you do not have a wireless card installed - either that or it is not functioning. You should take it back to the store, and tell them there is no wireless card in here - or it is not functioning properly. That is the reason you cannot connect. You received the 169.254 because your wired connection is not plugged in
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well that explains a lot! Thank you so much for your patience!! I appreciate it!
Expert:  dawber39 replied 2 years ago.
Not a problem
dawber39, Network Administrator
Experience: 8 Years Netwrok administrator - Associates in Computer Information Systems
Expert:  dawber39 replied 2 years ago.
I am glad I could help you out with your wireless issue the other day. If you have any further questions - please do not hesitate to come back.