Richard, Network Specialist
Experience:  20 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking

Dell laptop with McAfee - Can't get it activated.

I bought a Dell laptop with McAfee, but I can't get it activated. It asks for my   password   but I do not know that I have set a   password   for McAfee. I had a MaAfee account in the past, but I do not remember what that   password   was.

Welcome to JustAnswer

Can you tell me exactly when it is asking you for a password? What exactly are you doing?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When I turn on computer, I get an "activate McAfee" prompt. It asks if I have an existing account or need new account. I have tried both and but in passwords that I thought might be former McAfee passwords, but nothing works under either option. I can't seem to set a password ***** will activate McAfee protection.

There is a bug that can occur with the renewal process. There is also a procedure from McAfee on resolving this.

It is pretty extensive and you need to follow each of the steps carefully. The procedure can be found here

Can you follow it through and if you get stuck on any step, or still have problems after completing it, please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

When I got to Solution 1, step 2, I get asked for my McAfee password. I have tried what I think my password may have been so often that my McAfee account is now locked. I can't proceed with the steps that you directed me to. I am so frustrated with McAfee. If I have an account, why can't I get an email with my password or allowed to set a new one?

I can provide you the number to contact McAfee or provide a free alternative to McAfee that is even better protection. Let me know which you wish for please.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks. Can you do both, provide a McAfee contact number, and the alternative. I have paid for the McAfee with my computer purchase and would prefer to use it. If using the contact number does not work, then I would be willing to pursue the other alternative.

You can call McAfee on(###) ###-####between 6am - 6pm Pacific time.

The alternative is actually free (if you are not a business). It is the free home edition of Avira which you can download here

If you have any difficulties, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am still trying to contact McAfee. My week was very busy and I need to be at home as that is where my personal computer is located. I will contact and rate your responses as soon as I can get McAfee to give me my old password ***** a way to input a new one. Many thanks for your help so far. I am encouraged that a solution may be in the offing.

Thank You Owen and no problem.
All the best and let me know how it goes please.