Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Network Engineer
Experience:  Computer Business Owner / Former DoD Network Specialist

I need to close UDP Port 69 on my D-Link router. I am failing

I need to close UDP Port 69 on my D-Link router. I am failing security scans by Security Metrics and they recommended closing the port.

DLINK router DIR-615
Category: Networking
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer, a paid global support site.

Are you scanning the external ports or local ports on your computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was Security Metrics that did the scan, I presume it was external ports. Here is info from their report:

UDP69tftp10.0Description: TFTP Traversal Arbitrary File Access Synoposis: The remote TFTP server can be used to read arbitrary files on the remote host. Impact: The TFTP (Trivial File Transfer Protocol) server running on the remote host is vulnerable to a directory traversal attack that allows an attacker to read arbitrary files on the remote host by prepending their names with directory traversal sequences. Resolution: Disable the remote TFTP daemon, run it in a chrooted environment, or filter incoming traffic to this port. Risk Factor: High/ CVSS2 Base Score: 10.0 (AV:N/AC:L/Au:N/C:C/I:C/A:C) CVE: CVE-2009-1161 BID: 35040 Additional CVEs: CVE-1999-0498 CVE-2002-2353 CVE-1999-0183 CVE-2009-0288 CVE-2009-0271

My current IP is 74.110.32.108

Also, is there a good tool I can use (web based) to scan for a specific port??

Thanks,
Andrew

Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 2 years ago.
Go to http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/port-scan/ from a machine within the network in concern.

Type in the port in question (69) and complete the scan.

Tell me the results.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
74.110.32.108 isn't responding on port 69 (tftp).

I also called securitymetrics and they recommended contacting the router manufacturer directly.

They note that it is a UDP port that is open (meaningless to me...) so I wonder if that helps. They thought it might be some software updater keeping that open...

Do you know of any way to scan for udp ports?
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 2 years ago.
The site I gave you scans from the outside (WAN) at your IP 74.110.32.108 and scans both TCP and UDP ports.

If the scan came back as "not responding" as it did, then you probably just need to close the ports from your machine.

You can go into Start -> Control Panel -> Windows Firewall, make sure the firewall is ON, and then go to Allow/Block programs or ports and look for TFTP or Port 69 in the list and either remove or delete it.

In addition, you might want to remove any FTP programs you have. You can do that by going to Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features, look for FTP or TFTP and remove any progarms.

From there, reboot and then do the security scan again and see if the issue is resolved.

Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That site you sent does not scan udp ports. do you know of one that does
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
Mr. Clark, Network Engineer
Experience: Computer Business Owner / Former DoD Network Specialist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, In the testing process I noticed one of my email domains had expired and I've been working on that. You didnt really answer my specific question, which was how to block that port in my router, however you were helpful so I am going to close this and pay.
Thanks,
Andrew