Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.
30037186

My Android tablet 4.0 is not receiving a wifi signal from my

Customer Question

My Android tablet 4.0 is not receiving a wifi signal from my DLink G604T router, supplying brodband to my desktop & notebook.
What do I need to do
Thanks, Ian
Category: Networking
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you with your issues.

What is your device make and model?

If you go to Wifi settings, do you see your wifi connection on the list?

Did you get any error messages?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Nick, here's the info.
Make & model unknown. Chinese parents.
WiFi is on. Dlink obtaining IP address.
Signal strength Good
Security WEP
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Ian.

Please power off your wifi router for 5 minutes. Turn it back on and try to connect again. See if you can connect. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have done with no result, still no go.
WiFi shows on, signal strength excellent, obtaining IP address.
Have discovered a model no. M716. Android 4.03, Baseband 1.1
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.

Please do the following steps:

Go to Settings

Go to Wifi settings and Forget the wifi connection.

Back to Settings

Select Applications / Apps -> ALL

Select Manage Applications

Select All

Select Network Locations and Clear Data

Go back to ALL and select Google Services Framework

Select Clear Data.

Turn your device off and back on.

Go to Settings and try to connect to your wifi connection.

Please let me know if your issue is resolved with this method. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry Nick, there does not seem to be any WiFi settings, after settings. Airplane mode, Ethernet, VPN, Mobile Networks, 3G support information.
Ian
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Ian,

Just go to Wifi settings or the list of wifi connections, tap and HOLD your wifi connection for 2-3 seconds. Select Forget [this network].

Then go to Apps->All. Find Network Locations and Google Services Framework and select Clear data. Turn off your tablet. Turn it back on. Connect your wifi again. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Something else has turned up Nick.
Holding wifi connection brought up window
DLink,
Signal strength "Good"
Security "WEP"
Password.
I have no recollection for a modem password.
Using password XXXXX ISP, does not work
Any help?
Ian
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Ian,

Do you have any computer using wifi now? Is this your home wifi?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Please look on your wifi router/modem. Do you see any label with SSID and psk code? If yes, please type it out so I can tell you which to use. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Neither code is on the case
Ian
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Ian,

What is your wifi modem/router's make and model?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
DLink G604T.
I've checked with DLink & this model has wifi capabilities
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Ian.

Please click on the link below:

10.1.1.1

user = admin, password = admin

Once you get into the router, look for wireless. Go to Wireless security and look for the wireless key. Use that key to enter your tablet.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Security is WEP. This is already showing in the DLink window on the tablet.
It seems to be waiting for a password, as cursor is flashing to indicate this.
Ian
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Ian,

On the computer, inside the DLINK security. WEP is the wireless security method. Look for a phrase or key phrase. Or go back to Wireless screen.
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Ian,

Look at this screen shot. They encryption key is your wifi password. Write that password XXXXX Use that on your tablet.

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately that encryption key is secret.
But I have found encryption key in handbook
Unfortunately it does not work.
Tells me DLink is obtaining IP address
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Ian,

Please go back to Dlink Wireless settings and change the encryption key to a 10 characters password XXXXX of alphabets and numbers. Click Apply then go back to your tablet.
Turn it off and turn it back on.
Go to wifi and select your Wifi connection.
Enter that wifi password.
See if that works or not. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sounded great Nick, but came up with the same "obtaining IP address"
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Please tap and HOLD the wifi connection and tap Forget. Then try to connect again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No go, Nick.
I am signing off for tonight.
Tomorrow I will take the beast to our library, where there is a wifi connection, and will report back to you after that.
Cheers, Ian
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Sure Ian. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Nick,
I'm back again.
Took the tablet to our library, where it recognised the venue and connected straight up.
Tells me there is nothing wrong with the tablet.
Where next?
Ian
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Ian.

Please click on the link below:

10.1.1.1

user = admin, password = admin

Go to Advanced -> Wireless Management -> Enable access list. See if your tablet's MAC address is on the filter list. Delete it if you found it.

Then try to connect to wifi again. Your tablet should connect at this point.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is nothing in the filter list
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Ian,

Is this router connected to modem?

If yes, we can do a reset on your modem as follow:

To perform a reset, please follow steps below:

Step 1 Place a paper clip into the hole on the back on the unit labeled Reset.

Step 2 Hold paper clip down for 10 seconds and release.

Note: Do not repower unit during this procedure.

After that, access the router and check for the wireless encryption key. use that key to connect tablet to your wifi.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a combo modem/router
No result
Comes up with "obtaining IP address". Nothing more.
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.

I am out of ideas. Let me reopen your question to all experts for other suggestions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX of the same opinion.
Does the model modem DLink G604T, have WiFi. capability. Because it is out of production, I can't get any support or info from DLink. It works properly as ADSL modem and wireless router with a desktop and laptop around my house and garden.
If you come up with a silver bullet, please let me know.
I'm off to dinner.
Ian
Expert:  Viet - Network Tech replied 2 years ago.

Yes, it does have Wi-Fi/wireless capability. This router is an old model, so it may not be compatible with newer devices, such as this tablet, but please try the following:

Please go to the website http://10.1.1.1 again, and login:

user = admin, password = admin

Then go to the Wireless option. Then go to Wireless security, and set the Authentication/security option to WPA... (not WEP), then enter a new passphrase/key, then apply/save and check?
If needed, set the Authentication/security option, to none, then apply/save, does it work?

Please let me know if there is still any issue. Please reply. Thank you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate bad or poor service, please stop and click on the "Reply to Expert" link with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thank you,
Experience: Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Viet,
I thought the problem had been solved until I turned on my notebook. Apparently the last security alteration had removed it's access to the net, but had enabled the tablet.
I restored this setting & notebook works fine, but tablet does not. What I really need is to be able to wireless connect both devices to my modem/router. The tablet works fine with outside wifi connections.
Ian
Did you try all the following:

user = admin, password = admin

Thank you.