Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.

I have forgotten my linksys e2500 password. Is there a way

Customer Question

I have forgotten my linksys e2500 password. Is there a way I can reset it? Do I have to keep keying in the password? Do I need to let my tablet and wireless printer know about my new router?
Category: Networking
Expert:  John Iacono replied 2 years ago.

I'll assume the password XXXXX have forgotten was the password XXXXX access the linksys device via the website at http://192.168.1.1

You can leave the username blank and try admin as the password. That is the default, you can see if that works first.

If it does not work you can reset the device back to factory default by following the below instructions:

With your router connected to power and turned on, press and hold the Reset button on the bottom of your router for 5-10 seconds

This will erase all of the previous configuration and you will need to reset up your router as you did when it was first purchased.

If the password XXXXX have forgotten is just the one used to connect different devices to your wireless network then try the below

access the linksys device via the website at http://192.168.1.1

You can leave the username blank and try admin as the password. That is the default, you can see if that works. once your in the router's configuration pages click on the "wireless" tab at the top and then security, it should show you the connection password.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did reset it in the past. What do I do now? Also I want to use an easy password XXXXX I can remember it instead of the long complicated one they set up for me, which I have forgotten.
sorry just so we are clear the password XXXXX are referencing is the password XXXXX use when you want to connect a device like a laptop to the wireless network correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it is the password XXXXX was issued when I tried to setup my new router.

ok, we can change it to something easier and then you just need to reconnect any devices already setup with the new password. Follow the below to make the changes :

login to the router via this link http://192.168.1.1 username is XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX

click on the wireless tab then click on "basic wireless settings" now click "manual" and click save settings

now click on wireless again and then wireless security

in this window change the security mode drop down to WPA2

enter a passphrase. this will be your password XXXXX connect to the wireless network. So you can make this something easy. i believe there is a number of characters that need to be used. make it a word at least 8 characters long.

now click save settings.

that should do it. now go to a wireless device and try to connect to your network. it should have the same name as before but a different password (the one you just set it as)

let me know if everything is working now. Smile

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
just so you know my laptop is connected directly to my modem because I am not able to get my wireless running. Does this matter? What do I need to do with my wireless printer. This is a new router do I need to tell the printer this?
right, you will need the desktop connected directly to the linksys then you can follow my instructions above to configure it . once you get it configured, test connecting to the wireless from the laptop and when that works you can reconnect your printer to the wireless using the wireless network using the new password. You'll need to reconnect all wireless devices with the new password XXXXX you get it working using the above instructions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am confused, because I can not connect to the internet with the wireless router so how can I do what you have said? Don't I need to be connected to the internet to follow your directions? This is all very confusing to me. Can our connection be done by phone? So you can walk me through this? Or is that not an option?

Sorry, we can only communicate via this message post. Let's take a step back, the way your internet should be setup is you have a modem from your internet provider, that should be connected to the linksys router and then your pc should be connected via a network cable to your computer. (sometimes you wont have a modem from your internet provider and the connection goes right to the linksys router)

Once you are connected like that you should have access to the internet then you can connect to the linksys device by going to http://192.168.1.1 and follow the above instructions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will try that but my wireless router is not working so how can i do this work without the internet. I will try what you say and then i have to go. Okay I tried it and I got the message that my internet was not connected. I need to have the modem directly connected to my laptop in order to even communicate with you online. I have to go. I will have to pay someone to speak to me over the phone or come to the house.
ok not a problem. please let me know if you need any further assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I am being asked to update something online with my router plugged in. My router is not working because I don't have the password XXXXXXXXX so my laptop is plugged directly into my modem. If I disconnect it and plug the modem into my router I can access the internet.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you understand what you are asking me to do?
Expert:  Viet - Network Tech replied 2 years ago.

You have opted out the previous expert; I will help you.

If you connect the modem and the computer/laptop with (two) Ethernet/network cables, does Internet work?

Can I remote to your computer and fix/check this issue directly? (connect both the modem and computer to the router with ethernet/network cables first)

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am going to have someone come to the house to help me. This online type of help is not working for me. Thanks, Shirley
I can continue to work with you. We guarantee our service, so don't worry.

At first, it was password XXXXX, not the issue is that the router is not working right?

Also, your original question is at:
http://www.justanswer.com/computer-networking/6sj8z-lost-password-xxxxx-router-change-password.html

Thank you.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your offer but I don't feel you heard me when I said I could not access the online while connected to my router so I could not do what you suggested. I am calling someone to come to my home to work on my router.
Sorry, I just wanted to confirm if the wireless is not working, or both the wired and wireless are not working, which is you have confirmed.

I can get the router working again. What's the brand and model of the Internet modem? Who's your Internet service provider?

Please let me know; we guarantee our service. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No thanks, as I said I am having a tech. come over to my house to fix the problem.
It would be a lot more expensive having a tech to come over. We also guarantee our service (your deposit is always refundable if the issue is not resolved or if you are not satisfied.) But no problem, I am canceling this. Please come back next time if you have any other issue in the future.

Thank you.