James, Sr. Network Administrator
Experience:  Highly experienced with wireless networks and wireless equipment, LAN and networking protocols

I have a Dlink DIR 835 and am unable to connect to the internet. Ive

I have a Dlink DIR 835 and am unable to connect to the internet.
I've contacted my Internet provider and they have confirmed that the modem is working correctly but it is not "pulling up the IP" information from the router.
I've unplugged the router and plugged it in after a bit but I only see the botXXXXX XXXXX power light on.
any suggestions please.
Hi Keith,

Reconnect the modem to the router (make sure you connect the modem to the router's WAN/INTERNET port).

Unpower both (disconnect from the wall). Wait a moment, and reconnect.

Should work now, and if not - let me know!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Did not work at all
Ok. Let's now reset the router to defaults.

Power the modem off.
Push the reset button in the little hole on the back of the router with a paperclip for 20 seconds (while the router is powered on).
Let go, wait a minute, power on the modem, wait another minute.

Works now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Still not working.
The top light of the router does not come on
Did you try to connect the computer to the router using an Ethernet cable (network cable)?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My computer is always connected to the router with an Ethernet cable. It was working well this morning.
None of my other devices are directly connected to the router.
And when the computer is connected to the modem - do you get the power light, and lights on the connections to the computer and the modem?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, my computer and Internet work fine when I bypass the router and connect directly to the modem
I understand, but I'm asking which lights are on the router when the computer AND modem are connected to it?

Only power?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just the green power light goes on
If no other lights go on, it means the router is not powering up the network interfaces... it is certainly defective.

I'd be happy to recommend a good router - there are several new ones that would make more than an adequate replacement.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This router is only a few months old.
What other brands do you recommend as a household router?
Actually, I would never go for a Dlink. It is considered "bottom of the barrel". If you want a really good, reliable router go for a Linksys. They were bought by Cisco not too long ago, and they make superb routers.

Check out their E line here:

I would go for the E2500 or EA2700, depending on your budget (the latter gives you more features).