Ansh P.
Ansh P., Network Administrator
Experience:  Computer Science Engineer and Network Security Specialist

Keep getting "enter network password" pop-up boxes when I try

Keep getting "enter network password" pop-up boxes when I try to send or receive e-mail, and no matter what password XXXXX enter, it doesn't work.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 1 year ago.

Tech Specialist :

Hi Welcome to JustAnswer.com I am Tech Specialist and today, I will be trying my best to solve your issue.

Tech Specialist :

Are you using Outlook?

Customer:

Yes.

Tech Specialist :

Which version of Outlook like 2007 or 2010 or Outlook Express?

Customer:

2003, with Windows XP.

Tech Specialist :

thanks

Tech Specialist :

what is your email service?

Customer:

AT&T.

Tech Specialist :

What is the part after @ in your email id?

Customer:

att.net.

Tech Specialist :

Are you able to login to webmail?

Customer:

Yes.

Tech Specialist :

ok can you change your password XXXXX webmail?

Customer:

I have - 5 times. Won't let me receive or send no matter what I do; only through Outlook. I can get the mail by logging into webmail.

Customer:

Keep getting the pop-up boxes, that demand a network password.

Tech Specialist :

I understand

Tech Specialist :

I guess a remote desktop expert can help better in this situation

Tech Specialist :

If no body steps in I will continue helping you

Tech Specialist :

Thank you

Tech Specialist :

For now I am opting out for other experts

Customer:

Tried that yesterday, with AT&T. Didn't work.

Customer:

What is happening??????

Tech Specialist :

I can help you with this

Tech Specialist :

but it will require remote help

Tech Specialist :

and unfortunately I dont have the access to the tool now

Tech Specialist :

Should I contact you when I get the access?

Customer:

What does that involve?

Tech Specialist :

I have seen this problem with lots of ATT customers

Tech Specialist :

I will just connect to your computer and fix it for you

Customer:

Sounds O.K.

Tech Specialist :

Thanks I will contact you later when I get my access

Tech Specialist :

Actually I am not in my original location and does not have the password XXXXX my access to remote.

Tech Specialist :

Thank you

Customer:

I will be waiting. I'm going in another room; how long will it be?

Tech Specialist :

It may take hours

Tech Specialist :

Do not wait please. I will send you a mail when its available

Tech Specialist :

I have requested for it long back

Customer:

The e-mail is what is not working!

Tech Specialist :

Check via webmail

Customer:

How soon? It is impractical to check often.

Tech Specialist :

I can't tell exactly because I am not too sure about it

Tech Specialist :

:(

Tech Specialist :

If you want I can open this for other experts in the meantime

Customer:

That tells me that here goes an afternoon, maybe an evening! Isn't there someone who can help me, now??

Tech Specialist :

Yes it may be. I am opening the question for other experts.

Customer:

What is happening??????

Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. Your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still waiting
Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly

Expert:  ag346 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X'd like to see if I can help you with getting Outlook 2003 to work on your Windows XP computer. I'm sorry to hear that you've been having such a hard time with the configuration.

There are a number of issues that could be causing this problem, and this can sometimes be a bit of a trial and error process. However, if you have the time available troubleshoot, it can certainly be fixed. The first place to start would be to check the areas that are password-related.

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
In Control Panel, click User Accounts under Pick a category to open the User Accounts dialog box. Open the Stored User Names and Passwords dialog box. Under Related Tasks, click Manage my network passwords. Delete any stored password XXXXX there.

Please note, that if you have made any changes to the default menus, these steps might be slightly different on your computer.

Once you have those deleted, try loging into Outlook again. If it still does not work, there may be an issue with the stored mailbox profile for Outlook. If you do not have any stored emails in .pst format that you need, try deleting the stored profile and then re-creating it.

Click on start, control panel, mail. Then click on email accounts (note: write down any settings regarding your account configuration if you don't know them by heart) and delete any that you are currently having trouble with. You can then re-create a new profile from the same dialog box. Once you have re-created the profile, open account and see if you are able to log in.

If you still cannot log in, the last password-related step you can try is to create a new user profile on your computer and use it to re-create your account settings from scratch. You can create a new user account in the control panel.

click on start > control panel > user accounts and create a new test account. Then, log off your current user account and log in with your test account. Once you are logged in, open up outlook and try going through the setup wizard.

If you need more information on any of the steps that I have provided, please let me know and I will follow up with more details. Also, please note that I will have to do a certain amount of guessing at what your existing computer configuration looks like. If at any point I give you steps that do not match what is on your system, please just let me know and I can try to provide screenshots whenever relevant. My goal is to provide the most appropriate level of detail based what the person I am working with is interested in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The first part is fine; but there is no "Stored User Names and Passwords" that I can find. I get lost after "User Accounts," can't find the rest. Needless to say, Outlook still doesn't work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Deleted the e-mail account and re-created one, as you suggested. That didn't work either, same thing happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This all started with an AT&T e-mail "outage." The service was down for roughly a week. Wonder if that could have anything to do with the problem? I changed my password XXXXX times during the outage (have changed it since, too); wonder if that's a factor?

Expert:  ag346 replied 1 year ago.
It could definitely be a password XXXXX I recommend trying to lo in through their web interface just to make sure that the password XXXXX are using is valid. I ran a search and looks like you may be able to check your AT&T email through this link:
http://att.my.yahoo.com/

If you cannot log in through the web interface, try using the forgot password XXXXX If I have the wrong sign-in link, please let me know which is the correct one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can log into AT&T "web-mail," and I can get my mail through the link you listed, too (although what connection yahoo has with AT&T is a mystery to me - could it be that AT&T uses yahoo mail). It's only Outlook that is messed up; although that's where I've been getting e-mail for many years. It's just since I switched to AT&T that I've had trouble. I asked for help getting Outlook to work; it's not an uncommon problem judging from the chat room discussions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi; have you retired, or are you still working? Working on my problem, I hope. I got a new error message today: "Task 'inbound.att.net - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC7D) :Your outgoing server does not support SSL -secured connections. If SSL -secured connections have worked in the past, contact your server administrator or Internet service provisor (ISP).' Does that bear on the problem? I hope you are reading this!!
Expert:  ag346 replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about the misunderstanding, but most of the experts just like our clients, do not have specific days or times when we will be on. I try to be on as often as I can, but it is not always possible for me to check in every day.

When I sent the link to AT&T webmail, I did not mean to imply that you should use that instead of me focusing on fixing the issue with Outlook. It was intended as a way of testing that the account information was valid. Now that we know it is valid we can rule that out as the issue.

At this point, there are two ways of addressing the issue with Outlook. If you do not have any settings or locally stored .pst files, then the easiest way is to do an un-install and re-install of Outlook 2003, then run the windows updates from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

If you're not sure how to do this, let me know and I can follow up with detailed instructions on how to un-install a program. Also, just to make sure I am providing the right level of details, please give me an idea of your skillset. I've worked with advanced users in the past who prefer that I not give them step-by-step instructions and instead point them in the right direction. I have also worked with beginners who prefer that I use screen shots and/or online articles with images and detailed instructions whenever possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am (almost) a beginner with computers. I probably know how to uninstall but I have no idea how to reinstall the program. You better figure on giving me detailed step-by-step instructions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I uninstall the Outlook program? I go to "Add or Remove Programs" and do it there?
Expert:  ag346 replied 1 year ago.
Yes, as along as you have a copy of the software so that you can re-install. Please remove using the add/remove programs tool. While you are there, remove Outlook Express as well if it is currently installed. It will be listed under windows components. Just remove the checkbox next to it if there is one. Also, make sure to delete any Mail profiles that show up under the mail icon in the control panel after you exit add/remove programs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked; there is no "Outlook" listed. Only a 60 day trial under Microsoft Office. No "Outlook Express," either.
Expert:  ag346 replied 1 year ago.
Outlook Express should be listed there even if its not installed. Here's a link showing what it looks like under Windows XP: Outlook Express

Regarding the 60-day trial of outlook, is that part of an overall MS Office trial for 2007/2010? If the trial has expired and you are no longer using it, it may be worth removing it as it is one less program that may be overwriting the settings in your Outlook 2003 installation. It's also worth checking your start menu to see if you have a program called Windows Mail by any chance. Microsoft has several different versions of their email program with the following brands:

Windows Mail
Windows Live Mail (officially not supposed to be available on windows xp, but there have been reports that it installs just fine, though I haven't tried it)
Outlook Express
Microsoft Outlook 2003/2007/2010

Make sure that all of these are uninstalled if they are there. Also, it's typically a good idea to run the windows updates to make sure you have their updated .net files. Most of their programs rely on .net and may work erratically with versions that are outdated or not patched. Here is the updates URL: http://windowsupdates.microsoft.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Outlook Express, no Windows Mail, no Microsoft Office 2007 or 2010 (only 2003), no Windows Live Mail, lots of .NET files (most of them "Framework Hotfix" or "Framework Service Pack" with numbers attached. Did you get my question about the "File Validation Add-In" program?
Expert:  ag346 replied 1 year ago.
This is the first time I'm seeing any mention of a file validation add-in program. If outlook express is not showing up like in the screenshot I sent, the only way to remove that as an option is to use a third-party tweak tool such as tweakUI for example or if the computer had malware installed.

At this point, I think the fix for Outlook 2003 is going to involve fixing the OS first and it may be an issue that is not ideally addressed in a Q&A format. I can point you in the right direction on how to make sure the OS is working properly/how to do some light repair-work or I can realease this to the forum again to see if another expert can look over your outlook settings in more granular detail. Some areas that I left out are:

Your system registry (modifying this can cause windows to stop working of done incorrectly)
Creating a custom-script to verify all necessary program files are installed and related services are running

I think that either avenue is going to take some serious effort and time to fix the Outlook issue properly. Let me know how you'd like to proceed:
1. Attempt to find/repair windows issues (not guaranteed to fix the outlook problem)
2. See if another expert would like to look over your outlook settings

I apologize if this has taken up more of your time than you initially intended, but sometimes it is not clear what the cause of a given computer issue might be until after looking over many of the system settings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You are right, Outlook Express is installed on the computer. That seems to work - although I'm not sure, won't be until you send me another e-mail. I don't know how to remove it, though. It still doesn't show up in the list of removable programs on the "Add or Remove Programs" list.

I'm pretty much burned out on this "fix-it" stuff. If you have another expert that is willing to work on it, fine. If not, I think AT&T is responsible for it (they deny it), I think it will work with another ISP. It did for years; maybe all I have to change is e-mail providers. Maybe the Outlook Express works.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Should I remove all the mail (there are 200+ e-mails)? Some of them I would hate to lose!

Expert:  ag346 replied 1 year ago.
Although I don't speak for AT&T, I think that since the email is powered by Yahoo!, they are likely to say that you would have to check with them since they are the service provider. Also, since your account works on their webmail version, they are likely to say that its not an account issue.

Here are the settings for configuring Oultook Express to work with Yahoo email:
http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&y=PROD_MAIL_CLASSIC&locale=en_SG&id=SLN3213

The issue with troubleshooting Outlook, is that if the operating system has any issues that affect services that Outlook relies on, then the operating system needs to be fixed first before Outlook can be fixed or configured to work properly.

I am going to release this question back into the queue for another opinion.
Expert:  TechGuy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Not sure if this was resolved yet but this is an issue with AT&T.
Alert: Intermittent Password XXXXX

AT&T has identified several intermittent password-related issues that may impact customers, including the following:

Customer email passwords suddenly stop working
After password XXXXX customers are unable to access email
Customers are getting caught in password XXXXX loops
The "Remember Me" password XXXXX for email isn't always working
Customers are unable to send/receive email with new mail settings
Please be aware that AT&T is working to resolve these issues. If you are experiencing any of the symptoms above and have been unsuccessful accessing your email or resetting your password, please Contact AT&T for more assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's the end of it????? You've decided it's AT&Ts problem and I should go away? No doubt, you'll charge my credit card for your trouble; no help getting the Microsoft Office reinstalled, (that's my problem, as is the Outlook problem that started this debacle; just wait for AT&T to solve it)? The problem with the pop-up password XXXXX has been around for six months, at least, according to chat room records, with no resolution yet. You represent yourselves as experts. Let me see some expert advice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I started with talking to AT&T; they denied: 1) that it is their problem, 2) that they had had similar complaints from others, 3) that they were working on solving it (except for me). They gave up after a little while, told me they were going to have a supervisor call me. That was approximately a week ago; he or she has yet to call.
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 1 year ago.
I have remote access now. Do you want me to help? I can sort this out in 10 minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That would be fine, if it solves the problem (10 minutes or more).
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 1 year ago.
Please rate me below. Thanks.
Ansh P., Network Administrator
Experience: Computer Science Engineer and Network Security Specialist