R.A. McConnell
R.A. McConnell, Network Admin
Experience:  A-Plus, MCP, 18+ years experience, LINUX admin
45119205

I cannot connect My iPhone 4 to my router. I have entered

I cannot connect My iPhone 4 to my router. I have entered my password, and My key code. I purchased this router in 2010, so it is no longer supported by warranty.
Category: Networking
Expert:  R.A. McConnell replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'll be happy to help you with this.

There are a couple of common things that can cause a new wireless device of any sort (like the iPhone) from working with a wireless router. The first is that you might not have the correct wireless password (it could be for a different router, it might be misspelled, or it could be missing entirely), or you might have access control turned on (also called "MAC Address Filtering"). You can check both of these items by using a computer that is connected to your router to open the router's web-based configuration page. If you need assistance with this, or if you check and find that the password XXXXX XXXXX and access control is turned off, please let me know the model (and sub-model, if available) of your D-Link router and I'll be happy to provide you with a step-by-step list of instructions for checking this, or with helping you in any other way to get this working.

If you would like additional clarification or more detail with any part of my answer, or simply would like to continue to work on this problem with me, please let me know and I'll be happy to continue to lend a hand.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will need help to go to the web based configuration page. I am a middle aged woman, who is a bit of a tech-tard, (excuse the political incorrectness of the term!).
No problem. I'll need to know the model number of your D-Link router to get you the right information on how to do this. The model number should be on a sticker with some barcodes on it, on the bottom, side, or back of the unit. If a sub-model is listed (like "version 2" or "revision 5"), that will be really useful as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The model Number is XXXXX
From a computer that is connected to your router, do this:

1. Open your web browser and go to this address: .

2. Log in with the user name admin and no password.

3. Click on Wireless Settings on the left.

4. If your Wireless Security Mode is set to WEP write down the security key listed next to WEP Key 1, otherwise, if your Wireless Security Mode is set to any type of WPA or WPA2 encryption, write down the Passphrase (this is your wireless network password). Be very careful with the difference between upper-case and lower-case letters and try not to get the number zero and the letter "oh" mixed up, or the number one and the letter "el".

5. Click on Advanced at the top of the window, then on Network Filter on the left.

6. Look to see if MAC Filtering is ON or OFF. If it is ON, please let me know and I'll be happy to help you add your iPhone to your list of allowed devices. If you'd rather turn this off, just select the Turn MAC Filtering Off item in the drop-down list and then click Save Settings. If you leave this on (assuming that it is on at this time), you'll have to go through this process again for every new wireless device that you add to your network.

7. If it turns out that you had the correct wireless password XXXXX that MAC Filtering is off, please let me know and we'll run some more tests to see why this is happening. If the password XXXXX different, go ahead and enter the correct one. If MAC Filtering is on and you'd like to keep it that way, please let me know and I'll be happy to help you with this.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The address didn't come through!
Sorry about that. Here it is:

http://192.168.0.1
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I inserted that address into my browser and it went to a window that displayed a search page! *YIKES*
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay....I got the log in page for D-Link. Now, You said to insert "admin" and leave the password XXXXX Is My admin, My user name?
Yes, admin should be the user name here. If leaving the password XXXXX won't let you in, go ahead and try any other password XXXXX might have been used. If you get through them all and still can't get in, please let me know and I'll be happy to help you with this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, it will not let Me in with the user name....blank or with a password. I also tried the key code in the user name slot...balnk and with the password....it keeps clearing and coming back with the user name and password XXXXX in the boxes.
From your last message, it looks like you tried to leave the user name blank. No matter which password XXXXX enter (or even if you don't enter one, for that matter), the user name should be "admin" (without the quotes.

If this doesn't work, we'll need to reset your router, unless you're using Windows 7 or OS X (on a Mac). We can retrieve this information directly from them without having to reset the router, if you still can't log in.
R.A. McConnell, Network Admin
Experience: A-Plus, MCP, 18+ years experience, LINUX admin
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ummmm...why did the session end? It's not resolved! It will not let me in with the admin....I have Windows 7
The session isn't done yet.
In Windows 7, click on the Start menu, then on Control Panel, then Network and Internet, then open the Network and Sharing Center. Click on Manage wireless networks, right-click on the name of your wireless network, select Properties from the pop-up menu, then click on the Security tab, then put a check-mark in the box next to Show characters. You should see your wireless password XXXXX next to Network security key here. Write it down and give it a try on your iPhone, then let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is not a manage wireless networks choice! Here is a screen shot of what comes up.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
From the screen shot, it looks like your Windows 7 computer is using a wired connection to your router, and not a wireless connection. Is this correct? If so, this won't get us the wireless network password.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, this is correct. If, by that, You mean it's wired to a Cable Internet modem! Sorry...this must be trying! :(
Well, each situation provides its own challenges. Are there any computers there that do use the wireless connection?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hahaha.....good response! So generic! LOL Yes, We have a notebook too. Should I turn it on and try the D-Link address on it?
If your notebook computer has Windows 7 on it, you might just try retrieving the wireless password using the steps that I previously described when I thought that the computer that you're using now was on the wireless.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, I've tried it with just the admin....nothing. Should I try the name and password? I didn't go ahead and do that, because the last time it kept going back to that. Please advise.
Try any combination of the user name "admin" and any password that you can think of. You can't change the user name on this unit.

If that fails, try hitting the Security tab in the Properties of the wireless network in the Network and Sharing Center, then clicking to Show characters.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay....I've accessed what I was trying to on the PC, on the notebook. I have the characters....they are the ones I was trying to use to connect the iPhone to the network. The nubers that come up, are the security key numbers. And, they were not allowing me to connect the device! ????
With that in mind, we'll probably have to reset the router, as I suspect that MAC Address Filtering is enabled on your router. I prefer to not reset routers if at all possible, but it may be necessary in this case. Before we do this, I'll need to know which Internet Service Provider you use, to ensure that we have the least chance of problems when we do this.

Before we do that, is there any chance that the person who installed the router might be available to get the password to you, or might have written it down somewhere? I realize that I'm asking a question that tends to indicate that you're not the one who installed it, but having the correct password really is much better.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have it written down in the D-Link folder. I have been using the correct info. Now, if You think I might be better off upgrading My Router, perhaps that would be a better solution. I am with Cogeco cable services in Ontario, Canada.
You really shouldn't need a new router here. We just need to get this one set up correctly. The next step should remove the password from the router, but may result in a temporary loss of Internet connection. Before we get started, is the computer that you're using now (either the laptop or the desktop) the one that was in place when your cable Internet service was first installed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Noooo, Both are the same ones that were here when the router was connected. Tho, our cable lines were upgraded since these were both here. When the change-over to digital took place, they came in and changed everything for our digital boxes, for the Televisions. But they're all the same outlet. And, I got a new internet modem at the time as well.
Well, there's nothing for it but to try, then. If this process results in you not being able to connect to the Internet, you'll need to contact Cogeco to have them authorize the MAC address on your router. It should be printed on the sticker on the bottom and may be listed as the router's hardware address. Regardless, it should be six groups of two letters and/or numbers and may have colons or dashes between the groups.

The reset procedure for your wireless router is as follows:

1. The reset button is on the back of the router, next to the power receptacle.

2. Take something long and thin, like and unbent paper clip, and press and hold the reset button for ten (10) seconds, then release it.

3. Wait about thirty (30) seconds, then try your connection to the Internet.

4. If you cannot connect to the Internet, disconnect the power from your router, wait five (5) minutes, plug the power back in, wait another minute, then try to browse the web again. If it still doesn't work, you'll need to contact Cogeco to have the MAC address on your router authorized.

If all of this does work and you can browse the Internet with your computer (the one that connects to the router using the wired connection), then we'll just need to set up the wireless again. Let me know when you've done the reset and are back online and I'll be happy to take you through the reset of this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have good news! I have managed to connect the device! I thank You for Your help. It was likely a system malfunction with my Phone's Service provider! Yayyyyy...have a nice Weekend! :)
You as well. If you find that you need help with this in the future, or with any other computing question, please don't hesitate to ask for me and I'll be happy to lend a hand.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It keeps telling Me that I already rated You, and if I want to rate You again, I have to pay! Ummmm...NOT! I was very happy with the service....tho it did not solve My issue, as the issue was a network problem. However, I would use You both as a Service and a tech, again! And, I would recommend you You to others! Thank You for the help! :))))
You're most welcome. I'll see what I can do about closing the question.