Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

I need help setting up my netgear wireless extender, model

Customer Question

I need help setting up my netgear wireless extender, model wn3000rp. My wireless router is a westell versalink 327w, and my provider is AT&T.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Viet - Network Tech replied 5 years ago.

From the laptop or wireless pc (if you use a PC/Desktop, make sure to disconnect the Ethernet cable from the PC first), can you click on the wireless / network icon at the bottom right of the screen, and select the wireless network name called NETGEAR_EXT, then open Internet Explorer or your Internet browser and follow the on-screen instructions?

Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i am using a descktop PC, that is not wireless, pluged via ethernet into a westell versalink 327w, that is wireless, and the netgear extender is what I am wishing to sync up to all of this, as my home is three stories and the wireless router is in the basement.

You need a laptop or wireless computer in order to set up the wireless range extender (you only need it one time to set up). Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i will have to borrow a laptop in order to do this, will an I-pad work? or Kindle Fire?

I believe an iPad may work; please just try. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the i-pad seems to work, as I went throught the setup wizard and all, only when I try to log into the the EXT network, my wireless device always shows "obtaining IP address." in the wizard. I left the passkey the same as the original wireless network at this point. After "obtaining IP address" never seemed to connect me, I "factory reset" the extender, went through the wizard setup once again, only this time with no security, so to eliminate the passkey being wrong. With no security on the extender, my cell phone connected, but never showed signal as to such. In it's settings it showed the EXT as having excelent signal, but I was not connected to any signal that I would tell. So at this point I am at a loss. Thanks
That's strange. Are the iPad and cell phone able to connect to your router's wireless (not the extender's)? Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes
From both the router and extender, can you set the wireless / network signal / mode / type... to N only or G only (or G/N..., or 802.11n, or 802.11g, or 802.11g/n), and save and check?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will try and let you know. Thanks
OK, thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was able to set the signal type on the wireless router to G but not the extender. I started setup of the extender from beginning again with no change. It appears that all is well after set up but if I!;
1. Leave the passkey and all other security the same as the router, login fails due to wrong. passkey.
2. Set the security as open/none, where there is no passkey to enter upon login, I am able to connect, as it says on every device I connect with (2 cell phones, an I-pad, and a Kindle Fire). Yet none of the devices have any signal after log in despite the extender network showing excellent signal strength.
Sorry, can you reset both the router and the extender, then set up the router first, then re-set up the extender and check?

But it looks like you have gotten a bad extender; can you return/exchange it? Thank you.