Richard, Network Specialist
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
32989067

I am unable to connect my Kindle Fire to my home network through

I am unable to connect my Kindle Fire to my home network through my D-link dir-615 router. What am I doing wrong?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

RichieMe :

Hi there, and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

RichieMe :

Can you disconnect the power from the D-Link and wait 5 minutes

RichieMe :

then reconnect the power, give it 5 minutes to start and then test

RichieMe :

If it still does not work, please son't submit your rating, but let me know here. Thank You

Customer:

What is the meaning of your last sentence?

RichieMe :

Just to let you know I am here to assist further if you still cannot connect the kindle

RichieMe :

How did it go?

Customer:

nothing new. still cannot connect to my network

RichieMe :

what is the error you receive when trying to connect to the wireless?

Customer:

unable to connec to "GALE-PC_Network". Please try again.

RichieMe :

ok, can you hold the power button on the Kindle for about 20 seconds until it turns off

RichieMe :

Then turn it on and try to connect please

Customer:

sure

RichieMe :

also, tell me if it is getting to the point of asking for a password

Customer:

yes, it always asks for a password XXXXX I am using the password XXXXX my network

RichieMe :

ok, try the restart please

RichieMe :

and let me know the results

Customer:

back on home screen

RichieMe :

ok, now try to connect please

Customer:

is there a different password XXXXX should use?

RichieMe :

that is the next step

RichieMe :

but first tell me if it connects please

Customer:

no, it does not connect, it shows : GALE-PC_Network, Advanced Settings, and Add a Network

RichieMe :

ok, do you have a computer that is connecting to the wireless network?

Customer:

yes

RichieMe :

is it windows 7 or vista? or is it XP?

Customer:

XP

Customer:

I think, it may be windows 7. probably is 7

RichieMe :

ok, in the bottom left, do you see a windows logo as a button? or Start as a button?

Customer:

windows logo

Customer:

that's 7, right?

RichieMe :

correct

RichieMe :

then do this please

RichieMe :

click it, then in the serach type in wireless networks and press enter

RichieMe :

you will see a new window open (you may need to press enter a few times for it to open)

RichieMe :

You will see your wireless network in the list

RichieMe :

right click on it and select properties

RichieMe :

In the properties window, click on the security tab and put a check in show characters

RichieMe :

You will then see the password XXXXX should be using to connect

Customer:

when I do that it says wireless is not currently enabled. But my laptop is connecting fine???

RichieMe :

ok, your doing this on the laptop right? Or what ever device is connected to wireless?

Customer:

I am doing this on my desktop computer. I also have a laptop in my network. I just checked to see if it is connecting and it is.

RichieMe :

ok, you need to be doing this on the Laptop please

Customer:

okay, just a moment

Customer:

okay, when I put a check in the show characters, it shows some characters that say Network security key. Is that what I use?

RichieMe :

yes

RichieMe :

that is the password

Customer:

Wow, I'd have never figured that one out. I was using the one that comes up when I look at it on my desktop. It worked and I am now on my kindle. Thank you so very much!

RichieMe :

your very welcome!

RichieMe :

IT is very much appreciated please if you can rate my service

Customer:

Certainly! Thanks again.

Richard, Network Specialist
Experience: 15 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking