derrickonline, Information Technology Manager
Experience:  15 years experience in the information technology field.

I have a comcast modem/router and a Cisco E1000 wireless router.

I have a comcast modem/router and a Cisco E1000 wireless router. I have 3 computers hooked up to the Comcast modem with network cables. I need to have the Cisco E1000 configured so that my laptops can wireless connect to the same network (10.0.x.x). At the moment I can get the laptops to go online but they can not connect to the server or any of the printers on my network. I am not sure which settings I have to change on the Cisco E1000 to make that happen. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'd be more than happy to assist you. I suggest the following. Disconnect the computers from the Comcast router. Plug your wireless router into your Comcast router's ethernet port. Hang your computers/servers off the wireless router's Ethernet ports.

There are other ways to do this, but this is the easist way. I assume you're computers were being assigned IP address via DHCP from the Comcast router?

Now they will be provided DHCP from the E1000. You can configure the E1000 to assign IP address from the 10.0.x.x range if you want. Or leave it to defaults which is 192.168.x.x

Let me know if you have additional questions or need additional detail.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello Derrick, unfortunately I am not able to use your suggestion as the Comcast modem is too far away (it sits in a different building). I have the Cisco plugged into the network which is connected to the Comcast modem.

Ahh. I understand now. So here's what you need to do. You didn't answer a few of my questions so I'm going to make some assumptions and assume you have a basic understanding of networking/computers. If not let me know where I lost you and I will clarify in depth.

You need to modify your existing DHCP server to have a START RANGE of -

Obviously you would insert the IP space you use where I did

This says your DHCP server will only assign IP address within the range of - .254

Then you go into settings of your E1000 and setup DHCP START range to -

You see what I did there? Essentially now when your wireless devices are assigned an IP address, it's on the same subnet as your WIRED network. This means all devices will have the ability to communicate

The reason we set up the DHCP scopes that way is so there is no OVERLAPPING or IP ADDRESS conflicts between your wired machines and wireless machines.

Obviously you can tweak the range to your liking, but the idea is make sure the DHCP scopes don't overlap otherwise your wireless router might give out an IP address that you DHCP server already gave to a wired machine then there would be a conflict.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Derrick, thank you for your answer but it is still not working. Also, I apologize for not answering yur questions first.

My comcast modem ( is set to DHCP with a range of to My Cisco E1000 is set to DHCP with a range of - .235. The IP for the Cisco is set to I have no overlap but I am not able to go online OR see ay other computer. I hope this answers some of your questions. If you can fix that for me I will gladly up the price for the answer.

No worries, you only click ACCEPT once you're happy with my solution. You did a perfect job setting up your IP space.

Please check the following:

In your E1000 config page, the first one. Basic setup....

Internet setup should be STATIC IP

You should have your IP of entered there

You gateway would be

And for DNS it would depend...

If you have an internal DNS server to resolve local computer names (if say you're in a business/ Windows Server DOMAIN enviornment) you might but your internal DNS server information here.

Otherwise you could use Comcast DNS information here. Or just use. and these are actually Google provided free-to-use DNS servers.

Now on the same page under Network Setup

Router IP should be:

Subnet mask: (I assume that's what you have setup)

DHCP Server

Max # XXXXX users 5 (because you said it was .230-.235

DNS same as Internet setup section.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Got it almost :)

Done it exactly as you wrote but get now a message from Cisco "The router IP address equals to the subnet address. Please correct it.

In that case, in the router IP section, enter
Sorry that was a typo: Enter in the router IP section:
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Did that and now I have the message " The LAN and WAN IP address are identical. Please check them again.
I see what it's doing. Make it:
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I know you are getting to hate me but I did that and I have the message "The router IP address equals to the subnet address ..." I even tried changing subnets but that will give me another error.

That's what I'm here for. I'm actually smacking myself upside the head for not doing this a different way. This E1000 is essentially a router, so technically they don't have to be on the same subnet to communicate.

We're going to change JUST the network setup section:

Router IP:

DHCP Server ---ENABLED --

START Address: 3

Max Users: 25 (or more or less your choice max would be 248 to be safe)

Lease Time: 0

DNS same DNS you used earlier. IF you don't have your own DNS server running I suggest and

This should do it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I left the Internet setup on the Cisco untouched, changed the router address to I could save the settings but I am not able to go online with either wireless or wired (plugged into the Cisco).

You wouldn't be able to get online wired or wireless anyway until you saved the settings. Then you'll need to force your computer to grab a new IP address via IPCONFIG. Or you could just restart the computer(s) and try to connect wired or wireless to that wireless router.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, no dice - still no access to network or internet with either wireless or wired (through the Cisco)

Very strange, your E1000 is connected to your Comcast router HOW? You stated they were in different buildings.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Derrick, it works now - I rebooted the cisco and my computer several time and now it works. I have internet and can ping all my other computers and printers.

You Sir are my Hero!

Excellent. I was starting to get worried there for a second. Glad I was able to help you! Have a great weekend. Please note when you recieve a feedback email, please select the SMILEY face if you were pleased with my work.