Engineer John C., Networking Expert
Experience:  Computer Science Engineer. Cisco, Microsoft and A+ certified.
23822421

My new arris modem does not supply internet to my wireless

My new arris modem does not supply internet to my wireless network. My old modem which quit working last week worked fine with my router. All of my wireless devices can see my network and can log on, but no internet. My wireless router is a D-link Dir-655. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

I am Engineer John C., I will be your expert today.

What's your internet provider?

Please click the "Reply to expert" button below to let me know.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Time Warner Road Runner.

OK, some providers need the modem to be configured using your PPPoE username and password. Please call Time Warner Road Runner and ask them if you need to add any information to the modem in order to work with their service.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will do that if I can get someone tomorrow (Saturday). The modem is not my own, it is provided by Time Warner. My internet connection thru the modem when hooked directly to the computer works fine, no password XXXXX user name required. I am going to leave the computer now and will look for you tomorrow.

Thanks

OK, if it works directly to the modem, then please follow the steps below:

Please follow the steps below to reset the router. Please note the wireless network name will be changed to "DLINK" and no password XXXXX be asked (we can setup a password XXXXX all is working OK)

Note: when I say router, I mean the DLINK wireless router.

1- Make sure the wireless router is turned ON.

2- Press and hold down the "reset" button on the back (or bottom) of your router for 30 seconds. The reset button is inside a very tiny hole on the back of the router. Please use a paper clip to push it for 30 seconds

3- Then release the button and wait 60 seconds. (yes, 60 seconds please)

4- Then unplug the router from the electricity outlet, wait 10 seconds and replug it to the electricity outlet

5- Make sure the internet modem is connected to the "WAN" or the "Internet" port on the back of the router

6- Unplug the internet modem from the electricity outlet, wait 10 seconds and then replug it to the electricity outlet.

7- Wait 5 minutes (yes, 5 minutes please)

Then please follow the steps below from your computer with Windows Vista:
1- Click Start

2- Click Control Panel

3- Click "Classic View" on the left

4- Click "Network and Sharing Center"

5- Click "Connect to a Network" (on the left)

6- You will see a list of wireless networks, please select your network name ("DLINK") and click "Connect" (If you don't see any network name listed, please let me know)

Thank you

John C.

Remember, if for any reason you’re unsatisfied, we can continue our conversation until you’ve received the information you’re looking for. If I haven’t answered your question, please let me know and I’ll be happy to answer any other follow-up questions you might have.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
John,

Thanks for your answer, but unfortunately it gave the same results as everything else I tried. I solved the problem by buying a Cisco wireless router. The D-link was just not compitable with the new Time Warnermodem.

Thanks for your efforts,

Charlie Pairett

Hello Charlie, the DLINK should work with your Time Warner modem as well, however I am very glad you are using now a Cisco router, they are one of the best on the market.

Have a great week!

Thank you

John C.