Netman70
Netman70, LAN/WAN Engineer
Experience:  I have 5 yrs experience working in IT

My computer cannot find my RE1000 extender. I am playing the

Customer Question

My computer cannot find my RE1000 extender. I am playing the setup CD, the extender is 6 feet from the computer, the router is 12 feet from the computer and about the same distance from the extender, my wi-fi is working on the computer, I can get on the internet easily using the router from where I am currently. What can I do to get things started?
Category: Networking
Expert:  dukey01 replied 2 years ago.

dukey01 :

Hi. My name is Byron and I'm happy to assist. While using the CD setup, at which point in the process does the failure occur?

dukey01 :

There have been some issues with the Just Answer chat feature. I'm switching over to Q & A mode so we can continue.

Expert:  dukey01 replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am confused. You asked me a question and I answered, though I do not know if you recieved my answer because my "chat" seems to have ended and I have no idea what is going on now.
Expert:  dukey01 replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry. The only thing that displayed on my screen was a Just Answer notice that said: JACUSTOMER-p4bzvdtr has entered the chat. After that no response showed on my screen. You can post it here since the chat feature doesn't seem to be working correctly.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Your question was on what I had tried. I followed the CD instructions. It got to the screen that said it could not find the extender. I then followed the instructions on correcting the problem, to no avail. It keeps looping the same screen; it can go no further.
Expert:  dukey01 replied 2 years ago.
Was it the page that says: We can't set up your wireless connection.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, the page said we cannot find your extender. It also had suggestions for correcting the problem, which I followed.
Expert:  dukey01 replied 2 years ago.
When you start the process, do you have the extender unplugged. About 3 pages into the setup you should come to a page prompting you to plug in the extender. From your description you certainly have the extender in range.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have the extender unplugged until the CD tells me to plug it in. When i plug it in it blinks several times then goes solid. At that point the program tries to find it.
Expert:  dukey01 replied 2 years ago.
In Vista, (this is when you have the extender powered up) when you right click on the network bars down by the clock and select Connect to a Network, does the window that opens showing available wireless networks list on named LinksysExtender with a series of numbers after it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No.
Expert:  dukey01 replied 2 years ago.
What is the make and model of your router?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Linksys E2000
Expert:  dukey01 replied 2 years ago.
Those two should certainly have no problem working together. I'm out of ideas on this. I'll opt out of the question and open it up to the other experts who may have some other ideas. Good luck.
Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. Your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I log out at this point and wait for an e-mail or what do I do now. I have been on line for 1.5 hours and need to do other things.

Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly

Expert:  dukey01 replied 2 years ago.

If the CD setup isn't working for you here is an alternative method from Linksys.

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=1&vw=1&articleid=25124

Remember, if for any reason you’re unsatisfied, we can continue our conversation until you’ve received the information you’re looking for. If I haven’t answered your question, please let me know and I’ll be happy to answer any other follow-up questions you might have.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Answer was OK but not helful. I followed the instructions for manually setting up the extender but I am no better off.
Expert:  dukey01 replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry that didn't work for you. One thing you said was that the extender network that should be created when the extender is powered on isn't showing up in your list of available wireless networks has me concerned. It may be that there is something wrong with the extender in that it, for whatever reason, isn't broadcasting. Do you have another wireless device (iPhone, iPad or a laptop) that displays available wireless networks that you can use to see if the extender network shows up on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am using a laptop and my router shows up and if I move the computer in range of the router I have no problems at all. I have never seen an extender network. I used a WRE54G Range Expander before but changed when I went to a Wireless-N router. That expander never showed up on my list either, just the router network.
Expert:  dukey01 replied 2 years ago.
I'm going to opt out of the question and open it up to the other experts. Good luck.

Expert:  Netman70 replied 2 years ago.

Using an Ethernet cable, connect the range extender to the computer. This will
allow you to access its web-based setup page once you have the range extender connected to your computer open a web browser and type in 192.168.1.1 hit enter and when prompted for a username and password Leave the User name blank and enter "admin" in the Password field.

Then Click on Wireless > Basic Wireless Settings

On the Configuration View section, click on the Manual radio
button then enter your router's wireless network name (SSID) on the field
provided.

Under the Wireless Security section, select
the security mode that your router is using

After choosing the security mode, enter the
passphrase
or wireless network password that your router is using on
the fields provided

Your range extender should now be synchronized with your router

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had already done that twice! I tried again after recieving your answer. I am now giving up and looking for another expander.
Expert:  Netman70 replied 2 years ago.

You could reset the extender and try again, hold the reset button in on the back of it for 30 seconds then start over with the above steps