ChrisC
ChrisC, PC Technician
Experience:  Over ten years of experience troubleshooting networks.
56108293

How do I reset my netgear router password?

Customer Question

Category: Networking
Expert:  ChrisC replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be happy to help you today.

Changing your password XXXXX be relatively simple. Your computer may need to be physically connected to the router via a network cable to do this.

To connect to your router's interface, pull up a web browser window and, in the address bar at the top, type in www.routerlogin.net and hit Enter. (If www.routerlogin.net does not work, try either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. Also, make sure to type it into the address bar and not the search bar, which is a common mistake. For instance, right now your address bar should read: http://www.justanswer.com/computer-networking/6pgsn-reset-netgear-router-password.html.)

This should bring up a password XXXXX If the defaults were not changed when you originally set up the router, then type in "admin" for the username and "password" for the password (without the quotes) and hit OK. This should get you into the router's configuration interface.

Once inside the router's interface, click on Wireless Settings on the menu on the left-hand side. This will take you to the security page.

Under the Security Options you will find your password XXXXX you can also change it. Depending on the type of security that you have configured, it may be listed as a Passphrase, Shared Key, or WEP Key.

If you have any other questions on this, just let me know and I'll help you however I can.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I got to the router loginpassword XXXXX I typed in admin & password. It doesn,t accept it. I didn't set up this router to begin with. My sister did it with the help of a netgear tech. My sister doesn't remember puttting in a user name or password.
Expert:  ChrisC replied 2 years ago.
Okay, thank you.

Is your Internet connection cable or DSL?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My Internet connection is cable.
Expert:  ChrisC replied 2 years ago.
Okay, apparently a default username/password XXXXX set when the router was first set up. In that case, there is only one way to resolve your issue. What you are going to have to do is perform a factory reset on the router. This will clear out all customized settings and restore everything to the factory defaults. Bear in mind that when you do this, the router will then be in an unsecured state and you should be able to connect without a password. If you want to reconfigure the security, you should be able to do that by going into the router via the default credentials.

To perform the reset, look on either the back or side of the router for a reset button. On some models, it just looks like a small pinhole which you will need to stick a paperclip into.

Hold the reset button down for 15 seconds and the router should power down momentarily and boot back up. Once it comes back up, it should be fully reset to the state it was in when you first pulled it out of the box. You should then be able to enter the router's configuration using the default credentials and set the security back up.

Let me know if you have any other questions on this. (And note that we can continue to correspond even after you click Accept/rate the answer.)
ChrisC, PC Technician
Experience: Over ten years of experience troubleshooting networks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I should explain that I'm trying to connect my newly acquired Ipad to my wireless network. It keeps asking for a password. I don't know of any password XXXXX the router.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I trried to reset the router per your directions. It booted backk up but I couldn't connet to it. I now have an appointment with the Geek Squad for tomorrow.to get my wireless back up and connect my Ipad to the network.
Expert:  ChrisC replied 2 years ago.
I would suggest following this process:

Unplug your modem and router and power down your computer. Then plug your modem back in and let it boot up completely. Then plug the router back in and let it boot up completely. Then boot your computer and attempt to connect to the network.

If you are still having issues after that then it sounds like you may be having a hardware problem with the router. This is especially true if multiple devices are unable to connect. If that is the case, then the router would simply have to be replaced.