Erik B.
Erik B., Network Admin
Experience:  8 Years Experience, MCSE, MCP

How do I find out what the password XXXXX XXXXX I set for my Wi-Fi

How do I find out what the password XXXXX XXXXX I set for my 'Wi-Fi' network when I installed my E3200 router several months ago? I am clueless!
Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

Do you have any computers that currently use the WiFi network? If so, can you tell me what version of Windows you are using?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Vista on 1 and Windows 7 on another. Vista is the main CPU
OK awesome, we can actually use the Windows 7 computer to find the password XXXXX it displays it in plain text (Vista hides it). Please try these instructions on the Windows 7 computer and let me know if you can't find the password. Thank you!

1. Click Start -> Control Panel.

2. Click on View Network Status and Tasks.

3. Click on the Manage wireless networks link on the left.

4. A list of networks will appear. Right click your network and choose Properties.

5. In the resulting window, click the Security tab.

6. Click the checkbox next to Show Characters.

7. Your password XXXXX be revealed in the Network Security Key box.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorrym, but the characters in the network security key box are 'xed out' and the SHOW CHARACTERS box will not accept a check mark to reveal the characters. What am I doing wrong?
Nothing, that just means your copy of Windows 7 is using a separate tool to help manage the wireless network and therefore won't display the password.

Next let's try accessing the E3200 router and see if we can view the password. Try the instructions below from your computer and let me know if you get stuck.

1. CLICK HERE to access the router’s configuration page.
  2. When prompted, leave the username blank and type admin for the password. These are the default values and may not work on your router. Please let me know if they do not.
  3. When the router's configuration opens, click on the Wireless tab. Here your wireless network name will be displayed in the SSID box. If your router was setup using the CD, your passwords will also be listed on this page. If you set the router up manually then continue to step 4.
  4. Next click on the Wireless Security sub-tab. Here your password XXXXX be displayed in plain text. If you are using WEP, it will be listed in the Key #1 box. If you are using WPA, it will be listed in the Pre-Shared Key box (may also be called the Passphrase box).
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This will not work - it says that I need a user name and password. The router configuration WAS setup using the CD.
OK let's see if you have the Cisco Connect software installed on the computer you used to setup the router. On whichever computer you used to setup the router, click on Start -> All Programs. Do you see anything pertaining to Cisco Connect?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK great click on Cisco Connect and the program should open. The next part depends on what version of the Cisco Connect software is installed, but the wireless password(s) should be listed right on the home page. Do you see it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When zI click on the Cisco Connect, I get a dialogue box asking me if I want to contimue - that the program needs my permission to continue asnd it indicates it will run something called Linksys Software. I am so confused.
That is OK you are on the right track. Yes it will run the Linksys software. Please allow it to do this. This will not affect the router in any way, it will just display the information we are looking for. Sorry for the confusion.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX try that. Please do not 'go away'!!

Under Router Settings, I do see the name of the network and I do see a password. Hopefully this is correct and will work. I will write it down this time.

Thank you for 'sticking with me'!

No problem thank you for sticking with it as well!