John Iacono
John Iacono, System Administrator
Experience:  BA in computer science. Managing engineer at NY information technology consulting firm.
60084953

HOW DO I UNLOCK A FORGTTEN PASSCODE AN MY ACER A500 TABLET

Customer Question

Category: Networking
Expert:  John Iacono replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Unfortunately, you are going to have to reset the tablet back to factory default. This will erase all of the data that has been added to it since it was first purchased. All photos, movies, apps, personal info. With that said power off the tablet and follow the below procedure.

1. take a look at the bottom left most portion of the tablet

2. you will see a small pin sized hole (image of where to find it http://www.hard-reset.com/acer-iconia-tab-a500-hard-reset.html )

3. locate a paper clip, and gently press it into the hole (ensure) your device is powered on before you proceed.

4. press and hold for 10 seconds, then release

5. your device will now be reset back to factory defaults.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

SORRY BUT I TRIED THAT ALREADY DIDNT DO ANYTHING

when you turn it on now does it start regularly and still has the password or do you see the android guy with the caution symbol?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
IT STARTS UP REGULARLY WITH THE PASSCODE STILL THERE. THE ONLY WAY THE ANDROID GUY POP WITH THE CAUTION SIGN IS WHEN I HOLD THE VOLUME KEY AND THE POWER KEY AT THE SAME TIME TO DO A REST.

ok, i have some rather unfortunate news. the only way to perform an actual factory reset is through the software interface (which is locked on your device) the only way to unlock it is to send it back to Acer for service. The below is a link from the ACER support site itself explaining that this is the only resolution.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8798

I'm sorry it's not something you can do on your own and will need to chat with acer to schedule the service return. below is the link to ACER support chat

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/chat/chat_launch/

I hope i have been able to answer our question and i assure you this is the only way to get your deivce working again.