Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.
30037186

My netgear router seems to have stopped working and I am very

Customer Question

My netgear router seems to have stopped working and I am very technically challenged, can you help?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Viet - Network Tech replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

So all computers cannot work with the router?

Have you tried to reset the router: make sure the router has power, then use a paper clip to press & hold the tiny reset hole/button located on the back/bottom of the router for 10 seconds. Then wait a few minutes, then check?

What is the status of the router's lights?

Are you connecting the computer straight to the modem?

What's the brand and model of the Internet modem?

Who is your Internet service provider?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
power button is illuminated, a i with circle on bottom is blinking, internet light blinking, #3 is illuminated.

no

Arris

Comcast
Do you mean the router is still connecting to the modem and computer and the Internet is working on the router? Then what is the issue? Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can not connect to the wireless with my phone or my laptop. I have a wired computer that is connected to the internet
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
nor is my wireless printer able to connect
Are you connecting the wired computer to the modem or toe th netgear router?

Did you reset the router per my suggestion?

What happens when you connect the phone or the laptop?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The wired computer is connected to the modem

Yes, I reset the router

When I attempt to connect to the wireless through my phone it will not accept the WEP key. Same with the laptop.
Did you reset the router exactly per my suggestion? After resetting the router, connect the laptop and the iPhone to the wireless network name called Netgear; it will not ask for any password after resetting the router. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, it does ask for a password and it will not accept either the WEP Key or the password.
Reset the router again: make sure the router has power, then use a paper clip to press & hold the tiny reset hole/button located on the back/bottom of the router for 10 seconds. Then wait a few minutes, then go to Settings/Wi-Fi option on the phone, then select netgear and connect and check. Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have done this three times and each time It asks for the password on the phone and a WPA password on the laptop.

I will have to call someone in to assist.

Thank you for your time. I hope I don't have to pay $29 for not receiving a resolution to my issue.

Sorry, I will continue to work with you until the issue is resolved. Please try the following:

Please reconnect the modem, the computer (use the only computer that works when connected straight to the modem), and the power adapter to the netgear router, then reset the router: make sure the router has power, then use a paper clip to press & hold the tiny reset hole/button located on the back/bottom of the router for 10 seconds. Then wait a few minutes.

Next on that same computer, please go to the router's login page http://www.routerlogin.net/ , or could be the page http://192.168.1.1/ or http://192.168.0.1/, and login with:
  • Username = admin
  • Password = password
  • if it does not work, try password = 1234

Then look around (likely under the Basic settings option) for the MAC Address Clone option to clone the router's MAC Address with the PC's MAC Address (use Computer MAC address), then save/apply, then wait a few minutes and check Internet.

Then, there, click on the Wireless settings option to get/set up your wireless password/security key.

Please let me know if there is still any issue. Thank you.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!