Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Networking expert with over 10 years experience.

The only connection I have is dish network.I installed skype.

Customer Question

The only connection I have is dish network.I installed skype. The signal is not compatible.Do you have on answer for this problem?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Chris L. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

What exactly is the problem? Is skype not working if so please describe what happens when you try and use it.

Thank You
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the picture is distorted and ther are long pouses in the conversation.I also don't have cable or DSL avalible.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 4 years ago.
You mean the picture when you video chat on skype correct?

You have satellite internet right?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I have satellite internet. The skype picture is blurred
Expert:  Chris L. replied 4 years ago.
Ok the first thing that comes to mind is that your satellite internet is the cause.

It is not giving you great enough speed to use skype video chat properly. Satellite internet while faster than dial up internet is much slower than a cable or DSL connection.

Remember that data from your computer has to be sent all the way up to space to reach the satellite and also the data has to be sent down from space to reach you.

I would suggest you make a test call with skype by following these instructions:

Next check your webcam:

Finally check your internet speed:

If the internet speed test is showing you less than 3Mb download and 1Mb upload then I would expect you will have problems with video chat and any other skype function.

If you need further help please do not hesitate to reply back and let me know.

Thank You

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!