RobCat98
RobCat98, Consultant
Experience:  degree in comp sci. 20+ years install work with networks for small and large companies
23372949

I need my NetGear Router to allow my NOOK Tablet to connect.

Customer Question

I need my NetGear Router to allow my NOOK Tablet to connect. I have the MAC Address - how to I interface these two?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Byron replied 4 years ago.

dukey01 :

Hi. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to assist. Does your wireless network show up as an available network on the Nook?

Customer :

Yes

Customer :

Hello

dukey01 :

What happens when you try to connect to the wireless network?

Customer :

It wont allow me to do so. I spoke to the NOOK Tablet rep and he showed me my Mac address and said that this had to be provided to the router - Netgear to allow me to connect.

Customer :

hello?

dukey01 :

I want to make sure I understand what is happening. When you hit the Connect button on the Nook to connect to your wireless network are you prompted for a password XXXXX do you get some other message?

Customer :

I type in the p/w but then am told I can not connect.

dukey01 :

Have you successfully connected the Nook to another wireless network?

Customer :

You don't know how to do this do you?

dukey01 :

I do. I also know that unless you're router was specifically configured to only allow access based on MAC addresses, the Nook rep was wrong.

Customer :

What do I have to do. I just purchased this Nook.

dukey01 :

Do you know how to access your router and turn off wireless security?

Customer :

No.

dukey01 :

Did you buy the Nook in a Barnes & Noble store?

Customer :

Yes.

dukey01 :

When you were in the store did you connect to their wireless network and go through the registration process for the Nook?

Customer :

No - the Wifi in the store was down.

dukey01 :

When you try to connect ot your wireless with the Nook does it say the password XXXXX XXXXX good? or is it more generic.

Customer :

I have to go. You've been a great help!

Expert:  RobCat98 replied 4 years ago.

from barnes & Noble

To connect to an appropriate Wi-Fi network, go to Settings from your Home screen, and check that Airplane mode is "off". Then tap on Wi-Fi, check that Wi-Fi is set to "on", then tap on "Wi-Fi hotspot" and either add a network or select an available network that is listed. Please give a minute for your nook to search and display available Wi-Fi networks.

click on your wifi network and if it does not connect immediately tell me what it does say.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Give me a break! How bout reading my question again!
Expert:  RobCat98 replied 4 years ago.

I read your question. what it says is "u know the mac address" which is totally unesasary to log in to the router. The fact that it didnt work at barnes and noble because "their wifi was down" seems more likely to be because the salesman had no clue how it was supposed to work.

how about YOU read MY answer which is how everything else hooks up to a wifi and how barnes and Noble rather than 1 salesman who couldnt make it work even in the store says it should work.

try it and get back to me or go back to the salesman and have him show you how to do it. Unless you think there wifi might be conventiently "not working" again.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Your answer was unsatisactory!

DO NOT EMAIL ANYMORE!