rhess
rhess, System Administrator
Experience:  I spent over 6 years managing a large military network
64975016

Another computer on this network has the same IP address as

Customer Question

Another computer on this network has the same IP address as this computer. What does this mean and how can I resolve this issue?
Category: Networking
Expert:  rhess replied 2 years ago.

rhess :

Hello, are you available?

rhess :

Hello

Customer :

yes

Customer :

hello rhess

rhess :

I'd like you to start by click on the Start Menu.....in the search box, type cmd and hit Enter on your keyboard

rhess :

a black windows should pop up where you can enter commands. let me know when you are here please

rhess :

Hello?

Customer :

here but black box has now gone

rhess :

Okay, it should still be in your taskbar though. Below this window you are looking at now to the right of the Start Menu button, do you see a little black box that says C:\_???

Customer :

yes

rhess :

ok, you can click on that to get back to that window

Customer :

ok should i do that now?

rhess :

Hang on just a minute

rhess :

I need you to do the following.....but it's going to cause you to lose your connection for a moment

Customer :

ok

rhess :

Follow these instructions exactly......

Customer :

ok

rhess :

With the black window open, type ipconfig /release and press Enter on your keyboard. Then, type ipconfig /renew and press Enter on your keyboard.

rhess :

the first command is going to remove the IP address from your computer, at which time you will lose connection. The 2nd command will give your computer a new IP address, and hopefully this will remove the conflict

rhess :

Any luck??

Customer :

didnt lose connection-nothing else has happened that i know of

rhess :

you did leave the chat and come back in

rhess :

you may not have noticed that you lost connection, but i think you did

rhess :

how many computers are you running in your home?

rhess :

There is a way that we can test if this worked

Customer :

one

rhess :

Do you have a wireless network? Any gaming consoles (PS3, XBox)?

Customer :

wireless. no gaming consoles

rhess :

Does your wireless require a password to access it?

Customer :

no

rhess :

Ok....I'm pretty sure you have a neighbor accessing your wireless network

rhess :

An IP address is a unique address that each computer is assigned within a network

Customer :

I do have a neighbour that spends a lot of time on his computer

rhess :

If any device on the network shares an address, this can cause an assortment of problems, including messages about a computer having the same IP address as another computer

rhess :

If you have no other devices in your home, I'm fairly confident somebody is "stealing" your internet access. It's actually very common.

rhess :

The best way to protect from this is to protect your wireless network with a pre-shared key that requires a password. Unfortunately, because of the technical nature of setting it up, it's beyond the scope of the service I can provide you. If you contact your Internet Service Provider, however, they should be able to set this up for you

Customer :

ok will try that thankyou

rhess :

In the meanwhile, the steps we performed should resolve the issue for now. But I would still take action to secure your network. If somebody knows what they are doing, they can use your unprotected wireless internet to access files on your computer.

Customer :

scary-can they also access my prepaid dollars?

rhess :

It depends on how good they are and how malicious their intent is. Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much......more commonly, people just use free internet access to browse the web and save a few bucks on paying for their own service.

rhess :

There are ways to tell what devices are connected to a network, but again, that requires advanced knowledge and differs from router to router.

Customer :

do they use up my gbites in doing so?

rhess :

If you are on an internet plan that has a limit on data usage, then yes

rhess :

Let me stress the point that this is not definite...There's a slight chance I could be wrong, but based on what you told me and how common wireless stealing is, this is the most likely scenario

Customer :

I am so will aquire password pronto

Customer :

ok, i wont go making accusations yet then but will get password

rhess :

Unless you have any other questions, I am going to Opt Out of the question to allow another expert to review your issue. I'm pretty sure I am right about this, but a fresh perspective may provide insight that I am unable to. If you no longer get the messages, then my solution fixed the problem and you need to get the network secured. If I am wrong, perhaps somebody else will have the correct your problem. I just want to make sure you get the best service possible. If I am right, you can Accept my answer so that I get credit for it. Otherwise, I hope your problem gets resolved.

Customer :

thankyou for your expert help and advice rhess

rhess :

No problem. Have a great rest of the day!

Customer :

does this mean my problem has been resolved?

rhess :

Hello, I just wanted to follow up with you to see if my solution fixed your problem