dukey01
dukey01, PC Support Tech
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.
13274453

I cannot connect my emachine to the wireless network at my

Customer Question

I cannot connect my emachine to the wireless network at my home. It was previously directly connected - not wireless - and regardless of what I do, I can't go wireless. Can you help, please.
Category: Networking
Expert:  networkdoc replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you this evening. You stated that you cannot connect your emachine to your home wireless network. I need to get some additional information from you in order to assist you.

From what I can see this appears to be a desktop. If you can please confirm that.

Next I need to know if you can see any wireless networks at all.

Also if you can give me the make and model of the PCI Wireless G Adapter.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi...the computer is an emachine laptop. It will not show any networks at all...and this machine which is clearly operating wirelessly is five inches away. The modem etc are feet away. I have a linksys stystem and a comcast/arris modem. Did that answer your question??
Okay great. Thanks for that information. So this has built in wireless. Can you give me the model number of the laptop so I can pull up additional detailed information on it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
model:
M6810
Okay here is what I would like you to do to make sure that your network adapter is properly installed.

Click on the start menu, then right click on My Computer, click Properties. Click on the Hardware tab, then click on the Device Manager button.

Under network adapters you should see a little + symbol on the left. Click it and it should turn into a - symbol. Tell me if any thing listed there shows a yellow exclamation (!) point to the left of it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There's no +, just a -, and no yellow exclamation points. Every category has a + beside it as well.
Okay and you can see the wireless adapter listed there correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hmmmm....I see it on the small screen when I pull it up - the one that showed the various networks - but here I see
display adapters
modems
network adapters
PCMCIA adapters
system devices
etc
Under network adapters. Does it show the wireless g adapter listed in there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes it does...sorry for the delay - had top plug in this laptop!
No problem at all. Okay and you do not see the (!) point. Then that tells me that the wireless adapter is installed and installed correctly. What we need to do now is make sure that it is enabled.

To do this I would you to do the following.

Click on the start menu.
Click on Run
In the run box type ncpa.cpl and press enter.
This will bring up your Network Connections box.
Right click on the wireless network adapter, and see if you have the choice to enable it in the fly out menu. Also let me know if there is a red X on the adapter in that screen as well. If you do have the choice to enable the device, then select enable.

Please let me know when you have completed the above steps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is a red X and I don't have the choice...and when I 'view available wireless networks' I get 'no networks'
Okay press the FN and F2 button once. Then close that screen. Once you have closed the screen follow the steps above and tell me if anything has changed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I actually replied too quickly....I right clicked and was able to 'enable'...the X has gone but nothing else is happening....do you still want me to do what you've suggested above?
No. Now that we have enabled the adapter. I would like to go and view available wireless networks and see if you can see them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
here's a challenge - it won't let me do that! can't see anything...
Okay so when you go to view available wireless networks you still can see nothing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am now so confused I don't know what's happening. If I click when the red x is showing, I am able to view wireless networks but there are none in the range. When the red x is not present and the green symbol is, although in soft grey is says disabled, firewalled.
Okay so then it is disabled. You need to right click and choose enable again. Also I will ask, can other devices see your wireless automatically with out entering any information (new devices) or must you manually input information?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay - I right clicked and got the red x and 'not connected' stuff....
yes, other people's laptops have certainly seen it and my smartphone does.
The bottom of the screen balloon is telling me that wireless network connection 4 is not connected and wireless network unavailable.
Okay and when you click the refresh button it still shows unavailable correct?

If so I need to know what your wireless security is if you know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
correct
3603718381 I think
Okay is it WPA, WPA2, WEP or something else?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what? I don't understand the question
The type of security on you network, is it WPA, WPA2 or WEP? That information would be in your router.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have no idea how to get 'in' the router. It is a cisco product, li8nksys Wireless-N broadband router. Model WRT160N V2
Terry, I hope this helps and I wish we were on the phone; it would be much easier.
Normally you would have to be directly connected to the router with a wire to the machine you are using. You would then open up a webpage but instead of going to a website address you would type 192.168.1.1 and press enter. It would then ask you for a user name and password. That would allow you to log into the router. If you have a windows 7 machine we can find this information out another way.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am working on a windows vista machine - can't use the xp one at the moment - so I don't know what to do.
The vista machine is the same thing. If you will click on the start menu, then click in the white search box, type in ncpa.cpl and press enter. That again brings up the network connections page. In there you should see the wireless network adapter that is being used. When looking at it, there should be information as to what the security is that is being used.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay - currently, the security menu shows - type: no authentication
encryption type: none
In the drop down there is the availability of WPA2 or WPA both personal or enterprise
Okay at this point I am going to have to rule that something is wrong with the internal wireless card on that laptop. If all others can see it, there is no security, no encryption, we have confirmed it is enabled and it says its enabled not connected but still can not see any, then at this point I am sorry to say but I believe we have a bad internal wireless card.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't believe that can be the case as it was happily wireless until connected directly to another network. Any further ideas? I don't want to end this session formally as I may want to re-establish it without uncurring additional costs.
Expert:  dukey01 replied 2 years ago.
On two occasions above you stated a message you saw said the connection was firewalled. Have you turned off Windows firewall? Or, if you have some other program on the computer that has a firewall, have you made sure that was turned off?

dukey01, PC Support Tech
Experience: CCNA, A+, MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
where have you been? That worked. Thanks so much.
Expert:  dukey01 replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome. Please click Accept to close out the question. Please request me in the future should you require assistance.