Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.
30037186

My netgear router is on, but it is not showing up on my network

My netgear router is on, but it is not showing up on my network connections at all. I have a laptop and desktop (that does not work, not even on). I have a yellow cord going from my router (4) to the desktop and another tan cord going to my alarm device (I think). Do I have something set up wrong? Don't know why it just stop showing up on my networks.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Viet - Network Tech replied 2 years ago.

Do you mean if you connect the laptop straight to the netgear router, then the Internet work?

Does the laptop see your neighbor's wireless? Is the wireless turned on on your laptop?

Does another laptop or wireless device see your router's wireless network name and/or your neighbor's wireless?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If I connect the modem (i think) directly to the laptop it my internet works. Yes, I can see my neighbor's wireless, but mine is nowhere in sight. Other laptops do not see my wireless.

If you connect both the modem and laptop to the router, does Internet work?

What are the lights on the router?

Do your laptops see a wireless network name called netgear...? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not sure how to connect laptop to router. An orange top button (looks like on button) blue wireless signal and 2 and 4 are lighted green. No I did not see netgear.

You need two Ethernet/network cables:

- connect the modem to the router's Internet/WAN port
- connect the laptop to one of the router's Ethernet/LAN ports.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok. I am sure I am getting into dumb question land. But I have an big yellow cord going into my desktop (should I put that somewhere on my laptop)?

Yes,

- connect the laptop to one of the router's Ethernet/LAN ports with that big yellow cord.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

By doing this I may lose you. So what happens then?

You can bookmark/add to favorites this web page to get back to me any time. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. I will try it. Thanks-
You're welcome. OK, thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Connected my modem to my NG and placed my eathernet cable in my laptop and it indicated no network access or internet access. I then took the tan cord out of my alarm box and tried it in my laptop. Same message. I do see all my neighbors wireless.
What's the alarm box? What's the brand and model of it?

Can you reset the router: make sure the router has power, then use a paper clip to press & hold the tiny reset hole/button located on the back/bottom of the router for 10 seconds. Then wait a few minutes, then see if the laptops see the name netgear? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, but what you want me to do with the cords. Modem to router. Eathernet to laptop?

Stick the paper clip in the hole with the red circle. Don't see a button.

Both modem and laptop to router. Yes, stick the paper clip to the reset hole, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing happened. I stuck a paper clip in the red hole, but I did not feel a button nor did anything happen.
Did the router's lights blink when resetting?

What's the exact model of your netgear router? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
WNR2000. No I didn't notice lights blinking.
That's the correct reset location:
graphic

Push in the paperclip and hold it for 10 seconds, and check.

Do you still have the router software cd disk to re-set up the router? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Absolutely not. Will I need it? This router is a few years old.
No, you don't, just reset the router and see if any laptop see the netgear name, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing happens. The computer say unidentified network.
So the laptop does not see the wireless network name called netgear? If you have another laptop or wireless device, can you check if it sees the name netgear? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do not see Netgear on my phone. See all the neighbor's wifi around me.
I'm sorry; the router is bad, even after resetting it, it does not. Can you get a new router? Thank you.
Experience: Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.