networkwiz, Certified Networking Engineer
Experience:  MCA (Masters of Computer Application)

How do I connect a netgear wn2000rpt range extender to a 2wire

How do I connect a netgear wn2000rpt range extender to a 2wire modem?
Category: Networking
Expert:  networkwiz replied 4 years ago.

networkwiz :

networkwiz :

follow these steps to get the wn2000rpt range extender installed

networkwiz :

Connect a PC to the Extender with an Ethernet Cable.

Before you connect wired devices or computers, first install and set up your range extender

1. Connect your computer to the range extender with an Ethernet cable.
Using an Ethernet cable to connect the range extender to a PC
2. Connect the range extender power adapter, and plug it into an electrical outlet.
Do not use Ethernet cable to connect the range extender to a router. If you do so, the range extender does not work because it is designed to use only a wireless connection to the router.
3. Log in as described in the following section.
If you have trouble connecting:
• If you start your computer, connect the Ethernet cable to the range extender, and launch your browser quickly, the computer might still need a couple of minutes to recognize the Ethernet LAN connection before you can connect.
• Make sure that your Ethernet cable is securely connected to the range extender and the computer, and that the range extender LAN LED is on. If the LED is not lit reconnect the Ethernet cable, and relaunch your Internet browser.

Log In to the Range Extender
You can log in to the range extender to use the Smart Wizard or to use the menu selections to view or change the extender’s settings.
1. On your computer, launch an Internet browser such as Mozilla Firefox or Microsoft Internet Explorer.
2. In the address field of your browser, enter You are prompted to enter a user name and password:
If you do not see the log in prompt, make sure to include http:// when you type in your browser.
3. Type admin for the user name. The default password XXXXX XXXXX NETGEAR recommends that you set a more secure password XXXXX you log in (see Set the Password XXXXX page 20).
• If your range extender has an Internet connection, the Firmware Upgrade screen displays (see Upgrade the Firmware on page 21), and the software automatically checks for new firmware at the NETGEAR website.
• The Status screen displays with the menu on the left. This screen shows what the current settings are for the range extender:

After installation, to use the Smart Wizard again:
1. Log in to the range extender.
Note: Once you begin using the Smart Wizard, you must complete all of its steps before you can exit.
2. From the menu, select Setup Wizard. The following screen displays:
This is the same Smart Wizard that displays during installation as described in the installation guide.
3. Either select a network from the list, or select the Manually input my wireless SSID radio button and type the SSID.
10 | Chapter 1. Getting Started
Universal WiFi Range Extender WN2000RPT
4. Enter the passphrase for your wireless network and click Continue. The next screen displays:
5. Make sure that the correct network name is XXXXX XXXXX then click Continue.The following screen displays:
6. The range extender connects to the wireless network and then displays the following screen:
7. Click Finish.
• If you are done making changes, disconnect your range extender from your computer, and reconnect it to the device on which you want to use it.
• If you want to make more changes, make the appropriate menu selections.

To change settings, connect the range extender to your computer and use your Internet browser to go to

You can use this menu selection to wirelessly connect the range extender to your home network.
1. From the range extender menu at, under the Setup heading, select Connect to an Existing Network. The range extender scans for wireless networks, and displays a list.
If your wireless network is not on the list, and it is up and running, see Positioning Your Range Extender on page 6 for suggestions.
2. Click the radio button to select your network from the list and click Continue. The next screen displays:
3. Enter your network’s passphrase or key and click Continue.
The range extender joins your wireless network.

networkwiz :

let me know if you need any help

networkwiz :

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers as I may be helping others or i am not online.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate click the "Reply to expert" button to reply me and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.